collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 10gauge love  (Read 1215 times)

Offline Stilly bay

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
  • ELITIST WEST SIDE DITCH PARROT HUNTER
10gauge love
« on: November 21, 2011, 06:03:16 PM »
I picked up a remington SP10 last summer because I thought it would make me more of a man be great for certain applications, like putting down cripples that land in the river so the dog doesn't have to chase them half way to the bay.  I never paid much stock into all the B.S. that I have heard regarding a 10's extended range for sky busting I just figured it would hold a few extra pellets and give a little more umph and let everyone in the marsh know that daddy is home not to mention a 31/2" ten gauge shell is a lot more square  load what ever that means than a 12 leading towards a better pattern who the hell patterns their shells anyway

that being said, today I took a poke at a wounded drake my buddy clearly winged and it folded up like a taco.  Now I don't know how far away this bird was when my swarm of BB's hit it (and honestly I don't want to know) but it was way the heck out there.  upon inspection the bird had four of my BB's in it . CRAZY.

I don't think a 10 is the answer for every thing but in certain applications its the perfect tool. I should have kept track but I believe I have actually saved money with my 10 this year, I haven't had a cripple yet, and when one of my hunting partners cripples a bird it usually only takes one water shot to finish it rather than the five dollar 12gauge volley's I have seen in the past
"Love the dogs before loving the hunt; love the hunt for the dogs." - Ben O. Williams

“It is easy to forget that in the main we die only seven times more slowly than our dogs.”
― Jim Harrison

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
Re: 10gauge love
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 06:10:22 PM »
I have the SP-10 and the BPS 10.  They work great on geese, they flat level them.  They are starting to speed the loads up as well.  Pickup some Hevi-metal 10.  It's a wicked load.  In my younger years I shot the Ithaca 10 with copper plated lead BB's.  The Federl Premium Mag loads.  You could level geese out to 80 yards no problem.
Cut em!
It's not the shells!  It's the shooter!

Offline johnnyaustin44

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 06:18:01 PM »
 I have the Browning gold ten and it is my favorite gun I have. I like the federal loads at 1450fps with 1 1/2 loads. good balance of speed and pellets

Offline Stilly bay

• Sourdough
  • ELITIST WEST SIDE DITCH PARROT HUNTER
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 06:20:01 PM »
I was wondering about those Hevi-metal loads. I was just using the el cheapo estate loads, and have been impressed.
"Love the dogs before loving the hunt; love the hunt for the dogs." - Ben O. Williams

“It is easy to forget that in the main we die only seven times more slowly than our dogs.”
― Jim Harrison

Offline Skagit_Hunter

• Hunter
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 06:26:26 PM »
I shot a BPS 10 with a ported barrel for awhile.... It would put the smack on snows. But packing it sucked...like dragging a boat anchor :chuckle:
I din't see a prob with the ported barrel... But no one liked to be around it going off. The way it was ported the noise goes off to the sides, and not towards the one shooting it.
No one wanted to go if I was going to shoot it. so I sold it.
Bird counts in signature are as gay as Elton John's fanny pack.
Along with black hoodies

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 07:22:12 PM »
I have a Paternmaster in one and a Kicks in the other.  Both ported.  My buddies are hard core waterfowl hunters as well.  So, we are all deaf, so it works out great.   :yike:
Cut em!
It's not the shells!  It's the shooter!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]