collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Wildwood permit  (Read 2752 times)

Offline 3dsheetmetal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Wildwood permit
« on: December 02, 2011, 03:26:50 PM »
Anybody draw the muzzy permit for wildwood in Jan.
It's better to have a gun and not need it than to need one and not have it.                                                                             Local 66 sheetmetal workers

Offline jameseagan

• Pilgrim
Re: Wildwood permit
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 08:43:58 AM »
Yea, I have it.  Jan 1st - the 15th.

Offline spotter26

• Tracker
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 01:16:41 PM »
yes, my grandpa and I got them and i just got my vehicle pass and gate combo on saturday in the mail.

Offline jameseagan

• Pilgrim
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 02:48:53 PM »
I put in for this permit for a meat hunt.  Filling my tag should not be a problem.  My only concern is that the a good majority of the elk in this area are sick.  They have what is call "rotton hoof disease".  They are skinny and can barely walk.  It's the same disaese a beef cow get's, but they get treated.  I am not sure if they are safe to eat.  I am going to call game department and see what they say.  Anyone have any experience with this?

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 03:03:44 PM »
Google "elk hoof rot".  It is very common in SW Washington.  Most elk with hoof rot have edible meat.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 03:13:13 PM »
i killed a bullthis year in SW WA that had hoof rot and ahvent had any issues with the meat at all. the hind quarter with the rotten hoof was a bit smaller than the healthy one. other than that meat smells and tastes fine. ...i have been told my feet are a bit smelly though...  :chuckle:

Offline jameseagan

• Pilgrim
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 09:05:49 PM »
Thanks for the info.

Offline spotter26

• Tracker
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2011, 09:00:15 AM »
yeah, there is problems with hoof rot in the area our group has had 3 cow tags in the last 5 yrs for the boisfort jan. hunt and we have seen alot of gimpy elk, but what we have learned is if you get up out of the valley, the elk seem to not have any problems with the hoof rot. i think most of the elk in the valley are pretty much resident elk not going too far from the farmers fields. we are excited to try this permit unit because the area is away from the farmers fields a bit. I have been told from the game department that the meat should be fine but, if you shoot something that seems to have any problems with the meat you can contact the game department and they can check out the animal and if they find the animal to be in poor condition they will issue a new tag. With the permit season being so short, i would doubt you would be issued a new tag in time to finish your hunt. Two years ago when we were hunting the boisfort permit unit we had 18 elk about 80 yards away and all but two of them were limping 1 cow 1 spike, we talked it over and decided we didnt want to shoot a limper and let them pass. We saw that same herd in the same field 4 times after that, it seemed like the limping elk didnt want to leave the fields, i think they just were staying where it was easy going for the herd and where there was a good food source. Ive thought about the hoof rot scenerio since then and i dont think i'll pass on a shot again.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]