collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Capitol forest part 2  (Read 7446 times)

Offline wraithen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Capitol forest part 2
« on: December 04, 2011, 01:39:12 PM »
Went out this morning. Set up right before sunrise. Let everything settle about 10 minutes after I set my foxpro. Had birds circling as soon as I hit the send button. Nothing moved. Time to find another spot.

Drove around some and found out that my first stand was not where I thought I was. I was on a road right next to the C-line. OOOps!

Drove around some more and found a nice little clearing about 100 feet from the road. Hiked in, set up and waited. Tried a coyote locator first. Nada! After 2 rounds I switched to lightening jack. Nada! Let that play for about 10 minutes and switched to fawn distress. Nope! Hit the coyote pup distress for a few minutes. Nothing! Then tried the female coyote challenge. Zilch! Was tempted to try some of the cougar sounds but I don't have a tag for those and wasn't carrying my sidearm today so that seemed like a lose lose situation. I decided to go get lost in the forest driving around so I got up to grab my foxpro. I took 5 steps from where I was sitting and turned to see what it looked like. I couldn't see my rifle anymore and the ferns completely blocked where I was sitting from almost every angle in front of where I had set. Saved that in the gps  :tup: 

Drive around a little while and realize I'm apparently not far from chehalis. Entered by black lake. Uh oh! Time to get unlost! Made it back pretty easy. Didn't see any good looking spots on the way back so I left. I had a good time out there. Some really cool places to hide if you can get away from all the logging areas. My first stand happened to be on a hillside in some trees in the middle of a clearcut. Kinda slick walking down to the stand. Bout had a heart attack walking back up it. I don't think I'm a fan of all the clearcutting out there. It makes it harder to access areas because they push all the dead brush to the perimeter of the fields. Anyone on the west side want a yote partner in capitol forest?
the head has been lopped of the eagle.our country has become a nation of losers,them that feed on the teet and can do no more than suckle from them that toil. ~ Rasbo

Offline wraithen

• Sourdough
Re: Capitol forest part 2
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 06:43:45 PM »
May be going out tomorrow am. Probably gonna sleep early and wake up at 2 or so and hit up the squid first. Maybe... Anyone hunting coyotes out there tomorrow and wouldn't mind an extra shooter let me know.
the head has been lopped of the eagle.our country has become a nation of losers,them that feed on the teet and can do no more than suckle from them that toil. ~ Rasbo

Offline FALFire

• Crazy Old Man with a Gun!
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 08:11:19 PM »
Wow........That really sucks. I saw four dogs out just driving around today and I wasn't even calling.  :dunno:
Checkin' wind and makin' smoke.
That's how I roll...

Offline wraithen

• Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 08:29:21 PM »
Wow........That really sucks. I saw four dogs out just driving around today and I wasn't even calling.  :dunno:

Yeah but where were you? Capitol Forest? I heard them early in the morning but due to me not realizing quite where I was I didn't have a good setup.

Offline FALFire

• Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 08:37:43 PM »
This is my place.
That's how I roll...

Offline wraithen

• Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2011, 08:42:07 PM »
Ahem... Braggart. I drove around all over looking for ranchers looking for a yote hunter. All I found was "covenants."

Offline FALFire

• Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2011, 08:48:26 PM »
I hear ya. I lived and hunted on the wet side for 27 long fricken years, I hated it. I worked my azz off and bought a place in Ea. Wa. now I am in heaven. I have hunted all over Capitol Forest, rode trail bikes and ATV's there for years so I know exactly what you are going through. But one thing you are missing is you have a wonderful supply of Fox, bobcat and many other creatures that flourish in the forests, where over here, at least where I'm at, a fox is a rare sighting and bobcats? Well you just don't find many at all and now the wolves are moving in and the coyotes are going to get scarce after a few short years.
That's how I roll...

Offline wraithen

• Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2011, 08:55:17 PM »
From what I've heard though getting the cats and foxes in can take forever and involves more skill than anything else. I will stretch my stands out longer tomorrow. Especially in my invisible place. Worst case I figure they'll get used to my scent being there and not doing anything and then get popped. Only reason I left it before an hour was up today was I got really thirsty when I was driving out. That came to bite me halfway through my stand. No I didn't water my stand, held it til I got back to my truck  :chuckle:

Offline bearmanric

• RIP Colockumelk
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
  • Tenino Wa
    • Rick Robbins  rrcalls
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2011, 09:05:14 PM »
There's much better places to call. Rick
RIP Colockumelk
Facebook rrcalls no website.

Offline wraithen

• Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2011, 09:11:20 PM »
Rick, I know for a fact 2 things about your statement. The first thing is you are correct. The second thing is I don't know them and refuse to ask in this forum since I generally see people getting flamed for this. Still practicing with your calls btw. I should have them nailed by next year for the bigger kitties. Still trying to get that whistle working but I'm not too worried about it.

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2011, 05:50:01 AM »
The CF is a tough place to hunt period. Yotes can be hard to come by, but it can be done. If it is the only place you have then make do. Don't get too discouraged.
Here are a few pics the CF.

Offline wraithen

• Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2011, 08:32:28 AM »
Billy, I'm not discouraged at all. The whining won't start for a looong time. It gets me out of the house and exploring so I don't necessarily have to make a kill right now. Just enjoying the process. Most of those photos look like they were in the clearcuts? Do they produce better? I hate walking into them due to the slick brush on the edges. Maybe it would help if I wasn't walking on steep hillside too huh? I'll make do.

My internal alarm decided for me today that I didn't need wake up early this morning. Looks like it just turned into an evening hunt  :chuckle:

Offline bearmanric

• RIP Colockumelk
  • Business Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
  • Tenino Wa
    • Rick Robbins  rrcalls
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2011, 08:46:12 AM »
If you like i can meet up with you. I can show what to look for. The edges of older clear cuts are deadly. Rick
RIP Colockumelk
Facebook rrcalls no website.

Offline wraithen

• Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2011, 09:17:38 AM »
Rick, be careful what you offer. I may take you up on it. Did have one general question for everyone. I have a 4 year old mastiff. She's small for the breed and only 155 lbs. I feel guilty leaving her in a crate when I go hunting while the wife's out of town. Do you guys think she would scare off the coyotes or fox or bobcats if I brought her out with me? If I ever take her I will be carrying a sidearm just in case SHTF. I'll kill a pack of endangered green blooded wolves  (if such a thing existed) to protect her. It will be a moot point since momma comes home saturday but for future reference...?

Offline lokidog

• Explorer
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2011, 09:25:21 AM »
I wouldn't bring the dog with you for a coyote hunt, you might get written up for coyote hunting with dogs....

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]