collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 3rd Annual German American Friendship Hunt in Hohenfells Germany  (Read 7920 times)

Offline addicted

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • The famous FootDog
3rd Annual German American Friendship Hunt in Hohenfells Germany
« on: December 17, 2011, 04:36:36 AM »
It was a bit more than a 3 hour drive and luckily we didnt catch much traffic. We Showed up the day before the hunt with enough time to freshen up and swing by the PX on post for some odds and ends before the formal pre hunt dinner. Since my digital camera kicked the bucket after Afghanistan the wife was kind enough to buy us a new fuji waterproof, dust proof, shock proof, 14MP camera to document the hunt with.   :IBCOOL:

After stretching our legs in the PX and checking into our gasthaus I cleaned up and put on a new suit I had aquired from a good friend just for such an occasion. It was a little big in the waist, but nothing the tailer can't fix this week.

"Right now, I am thinking that If my grandmother was here, she would be lecturing me about how there are poor people in Africa, that would just love to have a Ruger, I would just say "Great, granny, lets just ship all the Rugers to Africa!"

Loving life in the Great Northwest one day at a time.

It sounds like it's time to get a new gun.

Offline biggamehunter

• Hunter
Re: 3rd Annual German American Friendship Hunt in Hohenfells Germany
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 04:41:30 AM »
looking forward to your hunting stories. las years was awesome.  :tup:

Offline rasbo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Legend
  • In God I trust...Try taking that away from me!
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 04:42:01 AM »
sharp looking outfit

Offline addicted

• Old Salt
  • The famous FootDog
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 04:45:50 AM »
At the dinner we met with several friends. Some I see several times a year, and others I only see once a year on this hunt where we are brought together by a passion for hunting.

As usual the German food is fantastic, I went with a jagerschnitzel with Spatzle and a local weiss beer.  :drool: You can get jagerschnitzel almost everywhere you go and everyone has a little bit different spin on it making it amazing and new everywhere.  I would switch to the metric system just for german food. 

"Right now, I am thinking that If my grandmother was here, she would be lecturing me about how there are poor people in Africa, that would just love to have a Ruger, I would just say "Great, granny, lets just ship all the Rugers to Africa!"

Offline addicted

• Old Salt
  • The famous FootDog
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2011, 04:50:09 AM »
Thanks guys. Always happy to share stories.

Below the start of the presentation the forst department shared with us.

Some Friends.

Our Highest ranking patrons this year were Gen Wessels(german) and B-Gen Gibbs (US)

Offline addicted

• Old Salt
  • The famous FootDog
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2011, 04:53:10 AM »
After Dinner and greeting everyone where we listened to dozens of hunting stories and funny tales we headed back to the Gasthaus for maybe one or two more beers before bed.

Offline addicted

• Old Salt
  • The famous FootDog
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2011, 04:57:15 AM »
In the morning we enjoyed a nice little european spread breakfast before heading to the meeting place for the hunt. Once again good food. You could get fat really easy living over here. My wife ensured me that she must love me a lot to be getting out of bed so early in the morning just to tag along on the hunt.

Offline addicted

• Old Salt
  • The famous FootDog
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2011, 05:03:30 AM »
We loaded up the thermos with hot coco and headed out to the hunt.

As explained in other threads, this is a very social hunt where you meet lots of people from all over.

The horns called us together and the head forster for hohenfells Dr. Pepite welcomed us and gave us a briefing for the hunt specifics then brought the chapel leaders to the front to say a prayer.

Offline addicted

• Old Salt
  • The famous FootDog
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2011, 05:23:43 AM »
We broke off into our groups then hit the woods as the rain came down.  A bit after we got into the seats the rain stopped and revealed a beautiful day.

I bundled the wife up in an ansitz sack and ranged my shooting lanes. I didnt like the particular spot that i was assigned to..... but thats the beauty of a drive hunt. You might show up and say "this spot sucks" then a whole herd of boar will run by before you even have a chance to wet your pants, let alone touch a shot off.

We heard shots within minutes of getting into the seat and they continued spread through the morning. About 30 minutes after we got into the seat a Red stag Cow(altier) and her calf(calb) came trotting down to my left. I got on them quick and had my crosshairs on the calb with several solid shooting oppourtunities along about 70 yards but it was sillouhetted by sky so i had no back stop. When it finally came below the ridgline there were trees in the way. Once they got to a tank trail behind me the cow stopped them to take a look around while the calf was behind a tree, then they were off never to be seen by me again. That bit of excitement kept the blood pumping for a bit until I looked to the right and saw a young boar come into view onthe right about 75 yards away.

I got on him quickly and saw that he had a wounded right rear leg. I took a shot within 10 feet of first seeing him and he squeeled and flopped in circle before moving toward me more. Another shot which my wife said went over his back on the move, then a third shot which dropped him. He started to try to get up on his front legs once again and I put one more threaded through some branches to finish him.

Not too long after a heard of red deer came out into the open meadow about 450 yards away and charged accross the open quite majesticly. There were probably a dozen of them and i tried to catch them on video as a 450 yard running shot wasn't in my arsenal that day.

Now that we had seen a good amount of animals and had some success I was quite satisfied that my wife was having a good time which made the day twice as good.  Just before the 1200 gut break we had four roe deer come out in the woods infront of us and right as i was about to take out a doe(bucks arent in season) they bolted the other direction.

At the 1200 15 minute gut break i went down to break open the pig . I found that my first hit had hit a bit far back with the quarting causing a back leg to get caught, the second hit had spined him, and the third hit had put his lights out infront of his ear. I wasnt happy with it taking for shots to put down such a small pig and it bugged me for the next hour or so until I finally took a proof shot at a stump concluding that my gun was still dead nuts.  :bash: at least I didn't let him get away like the last hunter to shoot at him.  After talking with the other hunters in the area I think I found the guy who had take a shot that was a bit to far on a running young boar.

Offline addicted

• Old Salt
  • The famous FootDog
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2011, 05:25:54 AM »
More

Offline addicted

• Old Salt
  • The famous FootDog
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2011, 05:36:48 AM »
after the break angela had a sandwich and some hot cocoa which probably lead to her little nap before we ended the hunt at 1400.

Offline addicted

• Old Salt
  • The famous FootDog
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2011, 05:46:51 AM »
Back at the Streckelegen we watched the animals come in a truck load at a time. The number were up from the prior year where we were hindered by a couple feet of snow.

In the end we finished with 66 animals for the first day.

Offline addicted

• Old Salt
  • The famous FootDog
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2011, 05:49:00 AM »
more

Offline addicted

• Old Salt
  • The famous FootDog
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2011, 05:50:24 AM »
mo jo

Offline addicted

• Old Salt
  • The famous FootDog
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2011, 05:52:44 AM »
It was a good strecke.

After all the hunters and game were gathered the horns blew respect for the game taken and the successful hunters recieved branches for the right side of their hats to be recognized for the night.

Offline 400out

• Radio Active YAR
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
  • HA HA! VERY FUNNY!
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2011, 07:12:55 AM »
looks like a great time  :tup:
Granted the ability to cause a A nuclear explosion that produces a rapid release of energy from a higher power resulting in the sudden and catastrophic demise of a thread.

Confucius say:
A crowded elevator smells different to a midget!
Man that go to bed with itchy butt wake up with stinky fingers!
Man who fight with wife all day get no piece at night.

Offline addicted

• Old Salt
  • The famous FootDog
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2011, 07:28:50 AM »
That night we went to a brewery restaraunt for some excellent house beer.  I had a roast pork with a dumpling.  :drool:

once again good stories were shared.

Offline addicted

• Old Salt
  • The famous FootDog
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2011, 07:29:52 AM »
I'm not a beer guy but this one was pretty good.

Offline addicted

• Old Salt
  • The famous FootDog
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2011, 07:44:13 AM »
Hunt Day two we woke up to about an inch of wet heavy snow.  :IBCOOL: It was looking good right up until the sun came up and it started raining.

There was some high winds coming so they decided to shave an hour off the end of the hunt and cancel the mid day break.  The rain was coming down pretty hard by time we got into the stand so angela was wet when we put her in the ansits sack. she made it about an 2 hours before she started shivering and headed back to the car to warm up.  I had a close call with a herd of red stags that came through the trees infront of me. Whenever i would get a cow in the scope she would get bunched up with the group. I got a couple bulls that were following behind into the crosshairs. the first one was a young bull with a crown so we want to let him grow. I moved to the second one and couldnt determine if he had knobs at the top of his antlers before he scooted away. It was an exciting 30 seconds at about 100 yards back in the trees before they dissapeared.

After angela went to the car a good herd came into the meadow next to the car about 180 meters away from me. I put them in the scope and there were some monster bulls in the herd. I tried to pick out a cow but off the back of the stand with hanging branches in the way and the wind blowing I just watched them circle in the meadow for a couple minutes while some idiot 400+ yards out emptied his gun and didnt hit a single animal. Eventually they strolled by the car about 40 yards from angela where she would have had the perfect view..... if she wasnt sleeping.   :chuckle:

Offline addicted

• Old Salt
  • The famous FootDog
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2011, 07:46:29 AM »
more

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2011, 07:47:54 AM »
It looks like you are absolutly making the best of your experience.   Thanks for sharing all the pics.

Offline addicted

• Old Salt
  • The famous FootDog
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2011, 07:50:16 AM »
The end of the day we went to another brewery restaraunt for more stories and great food. I had an ox meat pot with fried potatoes finished with a house made vanilla ice cream with hot rasberries.  :drool:

if i can i'll go  back next year. I'm also trying to plan a gams hunt for this next year when my friend gets back from afghanistan.

Offline addicted

• Old Salt
  • The famous FootDog
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2011, 11:24:28 AM »
The keilers in this area don't generally have very big waffen from what i've seen over the years.

Offline scree

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2011, 07:36:54 PM »
Man I love your updates. 
Its awsome that your wife went with you. 
I miss Germany.

Offline addicted

• Old Salt
  • The famous FootDog
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2011, 10:54:43 PM »
She still doesnt quite feel comfortable sitting by herself on a hunt this size so I was thinking bout just putting her name in next year and i'll be the tag along spotter.

Offline wsucowboy

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2011, 10:58:12 PM »
Looks like a great time  :tup:
"A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."
-Alan Ladd
"Courage is fear that has said its prayers."
-Karl Barth

Offline strutnrut1984

• Longhunter
  • its not what u get its how many times u get to go
  • Groups: Nwtf
« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2011, 06:43:01 PM »
freakin cool hunt

Offline addicted

• Old Salt
  • The famous FootDog
« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2011, 08:48:53 PM »
It was nice to hunt two countries in two weeks

Offline GoldTip

• Frontiersman
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2011, 08:45:18 AM »
Wow, very cool pics and thanks for sharing your hunt.  I enjoy it every year!
I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.
If I ageed with you, then we'd both be wrong.
You are never to old to learn something stupid.

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2011, 09:09:03 AM »
Awesome!!!!!!!  Hopefully next year I will be over there participating in my first traditional hunt!
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline addicted

• Old Salt
  • The famous FootDog
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2011, 03:27:26 PM »
Awesome!!!!!!!  Hopefully next year I will be over there participating in my first traditional hunt!

That would be awesome. Let me know asap and we can get you linked up with the community.

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2011, 03:40:19 PM »

That would be awesome. Let me know asap and we can get you linked up with the community.

I'll be going with the two fellas I took bear hunting last fall.   :tup:
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline addicted

• Old Salt
  • The famous FootDog
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2011, 10:09:53 PM »
alright.

If they dont deploy me again you should come over for  dinner.

Offline Wake1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2011, 06:09:04 AM »
Man Addicted the pictures of the jager dinner made my mouth water. That is the one thing I miss the most about Germany. Well that and the beer. Great pictures and story. Keep them coming.

Offline Stickerbush

• Sourdough
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2014, 07:59:52 PM »
Tell me whats that upright log burning thing? it looks cool!
Coastal Perspective.

Offline NW-GSP

• Frontiersman
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2014, 08:50:31 PM »
Looks like a amazing time, the picture of the larger dog looks like a drahthaar.

Offline addicted

• Old Salt
  • The famous FootDog
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2014, 10:16:38 AM »
Tell me whats that upright log burning thing? it looks cool!

Cut the log, then take the chain saw to the end of the log and cut it leinghth wise three times makin a star cross cross pattern viewed from the end of the log that is about 3/4 the depth/length of the log. Stand it upright, apply a wad of news paper and lighter fluid and there you go. We do it nearly every cold party hunt.

Offline 762Armo

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2014, 05:33:45 PM »
That looks like a pretty damn good time.
What do they do with all the meat? Did you get to eat any?

Offline addicted

• Old Salt
  • The famous FootDog
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2014, 09:30:10 AM »
This meat was claimed by a couple local resaraunts.

Offline KevinClimbs

• Tracker
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2014, 08:10:54 AM »
Cool post. Looks like a great experience.

Offline Call em in

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Hunter
« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2014, 08:38:12 PM »
What an OUTSTANDING experience for you guys!!!   Thanks for sharing. 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal