collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Dad drew Mt. Adams Early Rifle, any info on the area would be appreciated  (Read 8480 times)

Offline Elknut

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
I am just wondering if anyone can help provide some information on elk hunting Mt. Adams.  My dad is 72 and looking for one good last elk hunt and he drew Mt. Adams Early Rifle this year.  I will be working to try and get him a decent bull in the area.  Any information regarding the area would be greatly appreciated and respected.

Offline Hornseeker

• Frontiersman
    • Sapphire Traditional Archery
Paul...I will talk to some friends, but I can tell you there are some great bulls up in there. Just head towards the mountain from Trout Lake, into the unit and that is  where the elk are... I'll be in touch.

E

PS...bow still treating you good?
Chuck Norris puts the "Laughter" in "Manslaughter"

Offline HoofsandWings

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
  • RETIRED
Keep track of the forest fire near your unit. Some roads were washed out last winter, but are being repaired.
I would call the Trout Lake Ranger station for the latest info. Go to GoHunt and pull up the unit. Drill down until you have low altitude aerial photos and look for meadows and streams. Northwest corner of unit looked like a good starting place.
Gathering is easy. Hunting is a challenge.
WSF, WCA, RMEF, Rooster Booster, NWTF, NRA

Offline bowhunterty

• Longhunter
  • Hunt Hard or Stay Home!!!
Couple campgrounds in the area.  The wilderness borders part of the road. with fire in Cold Springs area target the north end around Muddy Meadows. Follow one of the trails in go one way or anther and hunt. Meadows scattered about. Fairly level up the Muddy Meadow trailhead area. Get a Mt Adams wilderness map this will help bunches any other questions PM me.

Offline Ihookum

• Tracker
fire might play into this tag. Last I heard 8,000 acres on fire on the tree line where I helped hunt a few years back.

Offline Elknut

• Pilgrim
Thanks everyone any information is really appreciated on the area to get dad started.

Elknut

Offline BENCHLEG

• Sourdough
just a starting point ,if open croften trail to muddy meadows.i know verry well . pm me

Offline Bigshooter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
  • High Wide And Heavy
You guys have a great tag.  With a little effort you'll come home with a 300+ bull.
Welcome to liberal America, where the truth is condemned and facts are ignored so as not to "offend" anyone

"Borders, language, culture."

Offline Elknut

• Pilgrim
Thanks, yes my wife and I have our anniversary this weekend so we are going to drop the kids with Grandpa and Grandma and go camp up at Mt. Adams, pick up some maps and do a little scouting of the area.

Thanks again for your help I really appreciate ever bit.  I just think it will be one of those father-son trips that we both will remember the rest of our lives so I want to do and learn as much as I can before hand.

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
Elknut, I am not sure which direction you would be coming from to get to Mt Adam, the main road FR23 from Randle is washed out just West of Mt Adams. If you are coming from the north you have to go around either to the East and come in or from the West by Cougar. Lots of snow still down there.
Here is a link to the Gifford Pinchot road web site

http://www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/recreation/current-conditions/roads.shtml

Cold springs fire map

http://www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/news/2008/documents/cold-springs-fire-progression-map-20080719.pdf

Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline Elknut

• Pilgrim
Thank you.  I grew up in Washington where my dad still resides but I live in Oregon now so I will most likely go through Carson or White Salmon.

Offline Elknut

• Pilgrim
Got some good information from some of the members.  Thanks guys.  Now I am wondering if we can get ahold of some horses to rent in order to make us more mobile.  I have looked and called the Outfitters Assoc., all kinds of Horse Associations, etc with no luck so far for that area.  If anyone knows of anyone that rents horses in the Mt. Adams area or anything please let me know.

Thanks again!

Offline Dry creek

• Hunter
it is a young mans hunt i wood go up the 112 or 113 trail and spike camp. some Nice bulls not a lot of presser. had the tag in 2000.

Offline Elknut

• Pilgrim
Thanks! 

Yes I went up and checked it out last weekend.  I got him out on some of the trails and he did good.  It will be a different story when I get a weapon in his hand and a pack on his back I am sure but he is excited about the trip.

Looking forward to September!

Offline BENCHLEG

• Sourdough
I HOPE THAT THE WEEKEND WAS FUN DID YOU TALK TO GREG.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Today at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Today at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Today at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Today at 10:03:34 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter
[Today at 09:12:44 PM]