collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 28 1/2" Sheds  (Read 11704 times)

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
Re: 28 1/2" Sheds
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2012, 03:25:35 PM »
Wolves, hemorraghic disease, winters good to see some make it.

Offline NWWABOWHNTR

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2012, 03:36:36 PM »
WOW now that is a dandy!
"Don't argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

Offline Austrian Hunter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2012, 04:01:05 PM »
Nice indeed!

Offline buck man

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2012, 10:03:03 PM »
Sheds are awesome .....but I call BS on a 36" wide whitetail....need pics or sheds....you can call me douting thomas :chuckle:
If we were supposed to be vegetarian God would have made broccoli more fun to shoot!
"HOYT" why would you even consider shooting something else?

Offline jdurham

• Hunter
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2012, 07:26:13 AM »
Sheds are awesome .....but I call BS on a 36" wide whitetail....need pics or sheds....you can call me douting thomas :chuckle:
Whatever you say.  I know what we saw and it wasn't just a glimpse of him either.  We are looking for those sheds with trained dogs.  I gained access to over 2000 acres of private land that is a half mile from me.  Talk about a needle in a hay stack.

Offline Shed Stud

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2012, 09:44:06 AM »
Nice WIDE WT!

Offline jdurham

• Hunter
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2012, 04:52:58 PM »
Nice WIDE WT!
I put up some pictures of him on the trail camera forum.  Very impressive staring at the camera. 

Offline BeeMan

• Scout
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2012, 09:25:37 PM »
Very nice whitetail, but I still don't see 28 1/2 in width....
Since you have the sheds, just post a pic with a tape measure proving the width.. :dunno:
If its as wide as you say I will eat humble pie  :)
I just have a feeling I will never see that pic.  :chuckle:
Still a very impressive buck though!
There are no stupid questions... just lots of inquisitive idiots!

Offline Ellensburg

• Official Cynergy Club Member
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2012, 10:09:07 PM »
Absolutely!   Can't argue with that.   I probably would have guessed 27 if I had seen him live.    What a great animal.

And you would be wrong. Its 28 1/4... trust me

Offline jdurham

• Hunter
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2012, 06:26:30 AM »
Since you have the sheds, just post a pic with a tape measure proving the width.. :dunno:
I will get that picture for you.  I did post a picture of the buck on the trail camera forum.  You will see how far out past his ears they are.  I will get that picture for you.

Offline jdurham

• Hunter
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2012, 09:27:32 AM »
I will get that picture for you.  I did post a picture of the buck on the trail camera forum.  You will see how far out past his ears they are.  I will get that picture for you.
Well here you go with them butted tight together.  I had them into the local sport shop last week and we were holding them and comparing the picture.  They came up with 27.5 to almost 29.  Anybodys guess from there.  I know body wise he dwarfs the other deer.  He is a large animal.  Think he is on his way down as his tines were not as long this year as last.  The beams even with the tips broken off were 25 and 27.  the picture his with the bases butted together so however large his head is and how they were situated can make a difference.  His left side was pretty normal but his right side rolled out.  Look for my post in the trail camera forum.

Offline benhuntin

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2012, 01:31:47 PM »
You think that will make people believe you :chuckle: :chuckle: Looks like a wide SOB
If it aint broke, dont fix it.

Offline jdurham

• Hunter
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2012, 01:53:33 PM »
You think that will make people believe you :chuckle: :chuckle: Looks like a wide SOB
I doubt it!  There is one considerably larger that made a pass through here about a month ago.  That really has my shed hunting friends out stomping the hills.

Offline BeeMan

• Scout
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2012, 07:18:39 PM »
Well here you go with them butted tight together.  I had them into the local sport shop last week and we were holding them and comparing the picture.  They came up with 27.5 to almost 29.  Anybodys guess from there.  I know body wise he dwarfs the other deer.  He is a large animal.  Think he is on his way down as his tines were not as long this year as last.  The beams even with the tips broken off were 25 and 27.  the picture his with the bases butted together so however large his head is and how they were situated can make a difference.  His left side was pretty normal but his right side rolled out.  Look for my post in the trail camera forum.

I did see the pics in the trail cam forum, I'm not disputing that he is a very wide buck, but I'm still not sold on 28 1/2. As you said antler position makes all the difference. In your pic you provided you are showing 25 inches inside with the bases butted together, however the left side is turned too far out compared to the trail cam pics and the tip of the left side is not his widest inside measurement as you are showing in the tape measure pic. I think with the left side adjusted more accurately you would loose about 2 inches on your pic and then add 3 1/2 Max between the bases (I'm talking between the innermost part of the bases not the center point of the bases) and you get 26 to 26 1/2 which I think is more accurate. I could take sheds from an 18 inch wide buck and position them just right in a pic and make them look 20 or 21 inches wide.   :dunno:  I'm not trying to be an a$$, just calling it like I see it.  :twocents:
Again, he's still a trophy in my book and probably wider than any buck I'll ever take!
There are no stupid questions... just lots of inquisitive idiots!

Offline jdurham

• Hunter
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2012, 05:41:35 AM »

I did see the pics in the trail cam forum, I'm not disputing that he is a very wide buck, but I'm still not sold on 28 1/2. As you said antler position makes all the difference. In your pic you provided you are showing 25 inches inside with the bases butted together, however the left side is turned too far out compared to the trail cam pics and the tip of the left side is not his widest inside measurement as you are showing in the tape measure pic. I think with the left side adjusted more accurately you would loose about 2 inches on your pic and then add 3 1/2 Max between the bases (I'm talking between the innermost part of the bases not the center point of the bases) and you get 26 to 26 1/2 which I think is more accurate. I could take sheds from an 18 inch wide buck and position them just right in a pic and make them look 20 or 21 inches wide.   :dunno:  I'm not trying to be an a$$, just calling it like I see it.  :twocents:
Again, he's still a trophy in my book and probably wider than any buck I'll ever take!
[/qu

Whatever you say the spread is. your the expert.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:04:10 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]