collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 28 1/2" Sheds  (Read 11708 times)

Offline jdurham

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Re: 28 1/2" Sheds
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2012, 08:19:54 AM »
Very nice whitetail, but I still don't see 28 1/2 in width....
Since you have the sheds, just post a pic with a tape measure proving the width.. :dunno:
If its as wide as you say I will eat humble pie  :)
I just have a feeling I will never see that pic.  :chuckle:
Still a very impressive buck though!
Better than many of us will ever take.  Funny thing tho, I had a buddy miss him different times with his bow!  The last shot was at 28 yards!  We had him on suicide watch for a couple days after that shot.  I have guys lined up asking for first chance to hunt the buck this fall.  I wanted that buck harvested as he is probably on his way down in antler size.  I like the point restriction to allow for larger bucks.  The gene pool is here for sure.  They just need to live long enough to get some size to them.  Three other hunters and I have seen a buck here that dwarfs the sheds I found.  Hopefully he survives til next year.
I will get that picture for you.  I did post a picture of the buck on the trail camera forum.  You will see how far out past his ears they are.  I will get that picture for you.
Well here you go with them butted tight together.  I had them into the local sport shop last week and we were holding them and comparing the picture.  They came up with 27.5 to almost 29.  Anybodys guess from there.  I know body wise he dwarfs the other deer.  He is a large animal.  Think he is on his way down as his tines were not as long this year as last.  The beams even with the tips broken off were 25 and 27.  the picture his with the bases butted together so however large his head is and how they were situated can make a difference.  His left side was pretty normal but his right side rolled out.  Look for my post in the trail camera forum.

I did see the pics in the trail cam forum, I'm not disputing that he is a very wide buck, but I'm still not sold on 28 1/2. As you said antler position makes all the difference. In your pic you provided you are showing 25 inches inside with the bases butted together, however the left side is turned too far out compared to the trail cam pics and the tip of the left side is not his widest inside measurement as you are showing in the tape measure pic. I think with the left side adjusted more accurately you would loose about 2 inches on your pic and then add 3 1/2 Max between the bases (I'm talking between the innermost part of the bases not the center point of the bases) and you get 26 to 26 1/2 which I think is more accurate. I could take sheds from an 18 inch wide buck and position them just right in a pic and make them look 20 or 21 inches wide.   :dunno:  I'm not trying to be an a$$, just calling it like I see it.  :twocents:
Again, he's still a trophy in my book and probably wider than any buck I'll ever take!
[/qu

Whatever you say the spread is. your the expert.

Offline Miles

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2012, 01:24:29 AM »
Very nice whitetail, but I still don't see 28 1/2 in width....
Since you have the sheds, just post a pic with a tape measure proving the width.. :dunno:
If its as wide as you say I will eat humble pie  :)
I just have a feeling I will never see that pic.  :chuckle:
Still a very impressive buck though!
I will get that picture for you.  I did post a picture of the buck on the trail camera forum.  You will see how far out past his ears they are.  I will get that picture for you.
Well here you go with them butted tight together.  I had them into the local sport shop last week and we were holding them and comparing the picture.  They came up with 27.5 to almost 29.  Anybodys guess from there.  I know body wise he dwarfs the other deer.  He is a large animal.  Think he is on his way down as his tines were not as long this year as last.  The beams even with the tips broken off were 25 and 27.  the picture his with the bases butted together so however large his head is and how they were situated can make a difference.  His left side was pretty normal but his right side rolled out.  Look for my post in the trail camera forum.

I did see the pics in the trail cam forum, I'm not disputing that he is a very wide buck, but I'm still not sold on 28 1/2. As you said antler position makes all the difference. In your pic you provided you are showing 25 inches inside with the bases butted together, however the left side is turned too far out compared to the trail cam pics and the tip of the left side is not his widest inside measurement as you are showing in the tape measure pic. I think with the left side adjusted more accurately you would loose about 2 inches on your pic and then add 3 1/2 Max between the bases (I'm talking between the innermost part of the bases not the center point of the bases) and you get 26 to 26 1/2 which I think is more accurate. I could take sheds from an 18 inch wide buck and position them just right in a pic and make them look 20 or 21 inches wide.   :dunno:  I'm not trying to be an a$$, just calling it like I see it.  :twocents:
Again, he's still a trophy in my book and probably wider than any buck I'll ever take!

You are arguing over 1.5 - 2 INCHES...and a picture.   :bash:

Offline Miles

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2012, 01:28:45 AM »
Not to mention, you asked the guy to post a picture with a tape measure saying you would eat humble pie if you were wrong.  Then when he posts it, you critique the positioning of the antlers and still won't leave it alone.   WTF?

Offline jdurham

• Hunter
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2012, 07:58:06 AM »
Not to mention, you asked the guy to post a picture with a tape measure saying you would eat humble pie if you were wrong.  Then when he posts it, you critique the positioning of the antlers and still won't leave it alone.   WTF?
He won't be as large next year as I am pretty sure he is on his way down.  He was not as wide the year before but his tines were considerably longer.  I hear that is what happens with age.  It makes me sick a friend of mine missed him during late archery from 28 yards.

Offline jumpin

• Hunter
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2012, 08:40:46 AM »
looks like he has been battling, there might be another comparable buck nearby :tup:

Offline jdurham

• Hunter
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2012, 08:49:15 AM »
looks like he has been battling, there might be another comparable buck nearby :tup:
Four of us have seen one much larger here.  A friend and I watched one in my field with a light for about 2 minutes.  He honestly dwarfs the sheds I found.  My buddy thought it was a mule buck.  A 5X6 and well over 30"  We are looking for those sheds!

Offline BeeMan

• Scout
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2012, 07:12:58 PM »

As I told jd, I wasn't trying to be an ass, I obviously have a different opinion on how wide the buck is.  Just stated the reasoning for my logic. I'm not trying to tear jd down or diminish the buck in any way, I just think he's a few inches off on the width estimate.  I asked for a pic showing 28 1/2 on an inside measurement and instead got one showing 25. I had to critque the antler position because with the bases butted together it is obviously not accurate.
People disagree about things on this website in nearly every Topic on here, I think that's part of what makes this site so great!
My apolagies to jd if he took it personal it was not intended that way, ive enjoyed seeing the pictures hes posted on this and other threads, I hope there are more buck pics to come from him.  But I won't apolagize for having an opinion even if others disagree.
There are no stupid questions... just lots of inquisitive idiots!

Offline buck man

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2012, 08:20:33 PM »
Bee man did you get stung alot as a kid :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :dunno:
If we were supposed to be vegetarian God would have made broccoli more fun to shoot!
"HOYT" why would you even consider shooting something else?

Offline buck man

• Sourdough
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2012, 09:07:36 PM »

Only when I was teaching you everything you know about bees!!   :chuckle:  :chuckle:  :IBCOOL:
If we were supposed to be vegetarian God would have made broccoli more fun to shoot!
"HOYT" why would you even consider shooting something else?

Offline Arteman

• Sourdough
  • General of the Mongolian Bigfoot Militia
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001803366476
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2012, 09:29:39 PM »
Jd hope you guys find that other bucks sheds, good luck.  :tup:
When you see the third, thin the herd.
Right now I'm somewhere picking up sheds.

Offline Fowlweather25

• Sourdough
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2012, 09:46:31 PM »
So beeman, you asked for the tape showing 28 1/2 and you got 25 yet the bases are touching! It's hard to see the logic in that considering that a mature bucks head might be 3 inches between the inside of the bases MINIMUM, so if you add 3 inches to that measurement, my math gives me 28 inches! Hmmmmmmm, weird! You don't see how an extra 1/2 could be a possibility? And by the way I saw 25 1/4 in that pic not 25, hey guess what beeman were within 1/4 of an inch! Can you see he difference in 1/4 of an inch with the naked eye? Cause I can't!
What would life be without the thrill of the hunt?

Offline jdurham

• Hunter
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2012, 09:49:35 PM »
Jd hope you guys find that other bucks sheds, good luck.  :tup:
That is like looking for a needle in a haystack.  Once people heard about the sheds I found neighbors started coming by to look.  I had the computer on and people are seeing these same bucks several miles away from here in each direction.   I made one neighbors day though.  He shot a buck about a mile from my house but in Idaho.  It had double antlers on each side.  His problem was one of the antlers on the left side had broken off.  I happened to find that antler about a mile and a half from where he shot the buck.  Should have seen his eyes light up when I gave it to him.  I have pictures of the buck for him too.

Offline Fowlweather25

• Sourdough
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2012, 09:51:32 PM »
That's awesome! What are the odds?
What would life be without the thrill of the hunt?

Offline Miles

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2012, 09:55:22 PM »

Only when I was teaching you everything you know about bees!!   :chuckle:  :chuckle:  :IBCOOL:

:dunno:

Do buckman and beeman share the same computer?  Perhaps buckman forgot he wasn't logged in as beeman, or beeman forgot he was logged in as buckman...

Offline wsucowboy

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2012, 09:57:28 PM »
great find  :tup:
"A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."
-Alan Ladd
"Courage is fear that has said its prayers."
-Karl Barth

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal