Author Topic: #93  (Read 12708 times)

Offline coachcw

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: Team getsum !
Re: #93
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2012, 01:51:45 PM »
hey bone how about 486 or 417 ? I'd love to see 417 he should be 7 1/2 and 486 should been 9 1/2
My wife told me that I hunt way more than I did when we first got married. I said yeah I know isn't it great !

Offline Gringo31

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2012, 02:04:09 PM »
I know a guy that shot a billy that had a ear tag 20 years ago.  The tag blocked the billy's view and allowed the shooter to get into range.....

I had never thought of that before....
We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
-Ronald Reagan

Offline Kowsrule30

• Frontiersman
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2012, 03:00:13 PM »
My buddy shot a cow with one..... Ole # 9 is what we call her.....

And to what wall of wood camp said.... That's the only reason we saw her as well.... We were above some reprod and glassing.... Didn't see anything while glassing.... Was snoozing off but I swear a yellow bird kept flying from tree to tree.... Got the glass on it and I'll be damned.... It was the tag in her ear..... She was feeding through the reprod the whole time we glassed it and never saw her til then....

Offline hambone

• Longhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2012, 08:31:07 PM »
bighorn ewe on pink um butte in the blues ran into the game dept guy later that day told me they had been looking for her she had came over from the grande Rhone

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2012, 05:08:21 AM »
I think I saw 486.   He was standing in the middle of a bunch of rams.   They were acting weird with the trapping operations going on.  I hope he isn't one of the ones headed to feed the wolves. 

Online TommyH

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2012, 06:25:49 AM »
He had been tagged that year (spring) in Oak Creek and I killed him deep into Lewis County
Thats some footwork.  It would be cool to know their travel history.

That would be amazing im sure, not only to have a trial cam pic, Nice pic of him in all of his/her glory, sheds from the previous year or years,  and his travel history on a map color coded by year. All next to your wall hanger, That would be a epic salute to a worthy animal.---O yeah and some footage from the new lid cam of the hunt/shot.!!  :tup: :tup: :drool:

Offline buckcanyonlodge

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
    • Buck Canyon Lodge
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2012, 06:48:19 AM »
I arrowed this bull quite a few years ago in September up above Rimrock Lake by Narrowneck Gap. It had a collar on with the numbers 87. Turned it in and I did not get a map but they told me that it was collared the March before above WHITE SWAN!!! He was a Reservation bull in the winter but traveled quite a ways off the Res. for the summer & rutting grounds. Any thoughts?????????
Thanks for all for your past support...We officially pulled the plug and have retired from the Biz. Still dabble a little in real estate.
Call Westergard Real Estate  for your REAL ESTATE needs in the Tri-County area. Hunting/Recreational or retirement properties. Tri County Area 509-722-3949

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2012, 07:18:38 AM »
He looks like he flairs quite a bit.  Cool looking bull.   I know they migrate out of that country onto the rez, so that makes sense. 

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2012, 08:38:18 AM »
Shot a 450 lb black bear in Spring 1984 about three miles east of the town near our cabin in Ontario.  He had an ear tag.  He was trapped (after munching into the local burger joint's dumpster) the previous spring and relocated 35 miles north of the town.

Offline PlateauNDN

• Y.A.R. Medicine Man
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
  • R.I.P. Colockumelk 20130423. Semper Fi!
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2012, 09:06:02 AM »
I arrowed this bull quite a few years ago in September up above Rimrock Lake by Narrowneck Gap. It had a collar on with the numbers 87. Turned it in and I did not get a map but they told me that it was collared the March before above WHITE SWAN!!! He was a Reservation bull in the winter but traveled quite a ways off the Res. for the summer & rutting grounds. Any thoughts?????????

It doesn't surprise me...they travel a great deal once the snow wears off.  I've seen elk that I could've sworn were the same ones nearly 30 or so miles away at a different spot on the rez and yet were staring at me as if they seen me before... :dunno:  could be imagining things... :dunno:  This bull shares some characteristics with the bull I got this year.  So they could be related...Their elk, who knows what goes through an elks mind sometimes, they're full of surprises all the time.
If you can read thank a teacher, If you can read in English thank a Marine! 
Not as Lean, Just as Mean, Still a Marine!
He who shed blood with me shall forever be my brother!

"Around this camp, there's only one Chief; the rest are Indians!"

"Give me 15 more minutes, I was dreaming of Beavers!"

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2012, 12:45:28 PM »
  Someone that archery hunts shot a cow a few years back with one.  My brotherinlaw shot a cougar tom with a gps collar and ear tag.

I would have been tempted to put the GPS collar in my rig and drive all over the state, maybe leave it in downtown Seattle  :peep:
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline TwoSixFourWins

• Critter Gitter
  • Scout
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2012, 01:44:29 PM »
Yeah I've seen loads of cows with ear tags on them. Used to milk them 2x a day :tup:
Bang...Flop......No tracking required.

Offline cem3434

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+29)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA, MDF, RMEF, NWTF, PF, RGS, WSF, WSTA
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2012, 09:04:19 PM »
I shot a mule deer in 05 with a collar and ear tag.
The best friend a guy could have asked for. RIP chasing pheasants in heaven Denali girl.

Offline Roger

• Scout
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2012, 06:45:14 PM »
Quite a few years when hunting in Mt. with the father-in-law and he shot a collared cow. The collar was a piece of pvc 2" pipe that had been heated bent around in an oval and then where they came back together, flattened out and had 2 bolts holding it together. There was a gps tracker inside of it.

We copied down the info inscribed on it and turned it in at a game check. After the season I made contact with bioligist and he looked it up and said she was 16 years old, was collared when 1 1/2 and tracked for 2 winters. They then sent a copy of all they had. I was able to plot the movemnts on a map and she'd moved about 25 mile on the flat map between winter and summer. Was easy to see during the hunting seasons the movemants to different areas were more frequent. 

Was really fun to see the info and the movement.

Offline PA BEN

• LINEMAN
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2012, 06:14:16 PM »
Here is one a buddy shot archery in the Bumpping in '05.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]