collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Under Armour Cold Gear  (Read 8500 times)

Offline Wacenturion

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Old Salt
Under Armour Cold Gear
« on: July 22, 2008, 04:20:10 PM »
Anyone here using Under Armour cold gear base layer, compressed fit for fall/winter hunting.  If so how does it perform, likes, dislikes.....outerwear comments welcome also......thanks.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 05:29:12 PM by Wacenturion »
"About the time you realize that your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."

Offline MountainWalk

• "Pa Nevermissashot"
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • High lead logger/ cutter
Re: Under Armour Cold Geart
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 04:29:35 PM »
ive never been able to afford the stuff. couple of the guys in mt like the stuff. i just use plain old duofolds and wool.
The way that you wander, is the way that you choose
The day that you tarry, is the day that you lose

Offline GoldTip

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 04:46:55 PM »
I recieved a set of Cold gear base layer last year as a birthday present.  Works very well, does keep a guy dry and helps release moisture really well.  I have alsobought the compression cold gear stuff that Cabela's is marketing and I think it works darned close to just as well for half the price.
I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.
If I ageed with you, then we'd both be wrong.
You are never to old to learn something stupid.

Offline BlackTail

• Scout
Re: Under Armour Cold Gear
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 11:00:22 AM »
I got the Under Armour Cold Gear as a Christmas gift 2 years ago and put it to use all last season.  I would say it works as advertised.  Keeps you warm, wicks sweat well, and dries quickly.  Not sure I would pay $100 for the top and bottoms as I think there is very similar stuff out there now for cheaper, but it was a nice gift!!

Offline Houndhunter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 11:02:17 AM »
i like heat gear, estatic stuff seems nice too

Offline cohoho

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Frontiersman
  • Sturgeon Time Yet????
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 11:27:34 AM »
Used it since it came out, it has to be extremely cold before I can wear it, but I can go really light with it on.  If early spring fishing it is good and sitting tree stand, but moving I just get too hot in it..  I do however utilize the hot gear all the time, tops as an exterior shirt..

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 12:19:25 PM »
Used it since it came out, it has to be extremely cold before I can wear it, but I can go really light with it on.  If early spring fishing it is good and sitting tree stand, but moving I just get too hot in it..  I do however utilize the hot gear all the time, tops as an exterior shirt..

I am like Cohoho, stuff works well, but I run hot so unless it is below 20 degrees I can't wear it without sweating a ton. My Son loves his. It is very good quality and works as advertised.

Just a preference thing, but I prefer the Nike Dry-fit tees. I use them as a base layer under a very light weight REI polertec fleece (sometimes that is to much if the temps are above 40 degrees).
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline DeKuma

• Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 12:28:47 PM »
Wife and I both have the top and love them.  Can layer very light with them on.
- Scott

Offline Slider

• Frontiersman
    • www.albinovest.com
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 08:53:38 AM »
I've used the tops and bottoms for a couple year's. I even wore it in Africa. It was about 30 degrees at daylight and a high of 65. It does work as advertised. Is it worth the money?  Good Luck

Offline Diehard0123

• Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2008, 01:24:20 PM »
Check out Bass Pro Shops Redhead enduraskin.  This stuff is Awesome, just like the Under Armour, but half as thick, way cheeper and has the scent blocker (not that I rely on it) it runs around $60 for both the top and bottom instead of $50 a piece for the UA.  I have used both the Cold Gear and the Enduraskin and I perfer the Enduraskin.

Savage 110 7mm Rem Mag

Offline archery288

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2008, 01:29:11 PM »
Well beings that the hunt I am going on is sponsored by Under Armour of course I use all the crap...  I have pretty much everything imaginable that they make and wouldn't trade it for anything.  Works great hot or cool, and all of the outter layers work great from hot days to cold days below zero in the treestand.   They are coming out with a line of scent tech clothing base layers to help kill the scent.  Best part is... It doesn't use carbon to activate it so you can wash it in a creek and it will be ready to go again! Awesome clothing and wouldn't use anything else! Go to Cabelas, GI Joes, Sports Authority, Bass Pro, Underarmour.com and many others to find the gear!

Offline Crunchy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2008, 01:56:35 PM »
There has to be a less expensive version to that stuff.  I like it but DANG that is a lot of cheese

Offline chukarchaser

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2008, 10:47:49 PM »
I Onlyuse the UA Warm gear tops as a base layer for all my fall activities.  It works well a keeping me warm.  I am not as impressed with its ability in higher temperatures as others are, but I am an extreme sweater.  Then I cover it with a dufold or Capline zip top and am set for the day.  I use the cold gear bottoms and love them, I think they the reason my tops can be so lite,

Offline Bean Counter

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2008, 11:23:05 PM »
I recieved a set of Cold gear base layer last year as a birthday present.  Works very well, does keep a guy dry and helps release moisture really well.  I have alsobought the compression cold gear stuff that Cabela's is marketing and I think it works darned close to just as well for half the price.

GT,
That's a great comparison, some day I think I'll invest in some. For now, I just use military surplus polypropylene.  wicks decently and keeps you very, very warm. Just don't expose it to extreme heat (matches, campfire, portable stove, etc); it will melt right onto your skin. 

I'm most interested to try out the UA-style tighties because it would compress well in a backpack.  Polypro, despite being cheap and warm, is very bulky. 

Offline addicted

• Old Salt
  • The famous FootDog
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2008, 01:16:43 AM »
smdave bought one in XXl i beleive and when he put it on he felt like he was goint to die with how tight it was on his neck so he gave it to me and got the XXXL.  just having the top and regular longjohns has been great. since its xxl the arms and the torso are really long on me so i was able to cut thumbholes in the cuffs to make them slide into my glove for hunting and snowboarding. i was using just the top for my only layer for archery last year and it worked double as a bug gaurd.   so ive been satisfied. even bought one for the wife when i figured out she was coming hunting with us.

"Right now, I am thinking that If my grandmother was here, she would be lecturing me about how there are poor people in Africa, that would just love to have a Ruger, I would just say "Great, granny, lets just ship all the Rugers to Africa!"

Loving life in the Great Northwest one day at a time.

It sounds like it's time to get a new gun.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]