collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Recurve or compound?  (Read 3746 times)

Offline Loki_762

• Accuracy Freak
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Recurve or compound?
« on: February 12, 2012, 05:39:02 PM »
It's been a few years since I have been bowfishing, and I would like to get back into it.  I have an old PSE compound that I used, and despite its age, it worked pretty well. My only complaint is that if I want to make a quick shot it is virtually impossible because of how much effort it takes to pull it back.  So I am considering an inexpensive recurve, such as the Martin Jaguar, for the upcoming summer.  Does this seem like a good idea, or are there drawbacks to a recurve that I am not considering?
Thanks in advance,
Chris
Never argue with an idiot - first they bring you down to their level, then they beat you with experience.

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
Re: Recurve or compound?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 08:02:54 PM »
What about reducing the draw weight on your compound?  Seems a cheaper alternative to buying a new bow??

Offline Loki_762

• Accuracy Freak
  • Tracker
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 09:39:28 PM »
Sundance,
Thanks for the info.  I think I will, have to look more closely at those Martins - I have been eyeing a recurve for a long time, and this seem like a good way to get into one fairly inexpensively.
Lokidog,
First off, like the name!  Second, as I mentioned to Sundance, it gives me an excuse to pick up a recurve more than anything else.  But I may need to see what would be involved in lightening the pull a little first.  Like you said, more cost effective that way for sure.
Thanks for the replies,
Chris
Never argue with an idiot - first they bring you down to their level, then they beat you with experience.

Online carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 09:45:42 PM »
A lot of the new componds out there that are built for bowfishing are made to be snap shot like a recurve it makes it really nice! I picked up 4 mako's last year and the clients and myself like them a lot. The barracuda is also another great bowfishing bow and you can snap shoot them like a recurve as well. The jag is a very very low end recurve and has a lot of vibrations. I don't care for them much myself.
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline Loki_762

• Accuracy Freak
  • Tracker
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 09:21:40 PM »
I didn't know they had compound bows specifically made to snap shoot.  Do you think I could just set up my PSE to be able to snap shoot, or is it a whole different kind of cam setup?  Also, any thoughts on the PSE Kingfisher recurve?
Thanks again,
Chris

Online carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 09:32:55 PM »
The King fisher is a o.k bow. I like the jag better then the king fisher myself. The king fisher is kinda the bottom of the mix.
I would rather see someone spend another 100.00  and get a good bow made for bowfishing that will do all they want.

You can snap shoot a compund but not very well hard to do with the higher let off. Most the bow fishing bows only have around 50% let off and a very different cam's.

Here is the link to a popular bow/ the cuda I was telling you about.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PSE-Barracuda-Bowfishing-Bow-Fishing-40-RH-Free-Shipping-NEW-AMS-Muzzy-/390383935472?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ae4b21ff0
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal