collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Okanogan County Limited Entry Deer Hunt  (Read 13093 times)

Offline saylean

• Team Slayer Packmule
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
Okanogan County Limited Entry Deer Hunt
« on: July 25, 2008, 01:39:03 AM »
Okanogan County limited-entry
deer hunt applications available

OLYMPIA – Fifteen lucky hunters will have an opportunity to hunt for deer this fall on more than 6,000 acres of public and private rangeland in northeastern Okanogan County.

Hunters can submit an application for the “limited-entry” deer hunt on the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife’s (WDFW) website at http://wdfw.wa.gov/hunting/special_hunts/drawings/deer_hunt_scotchcreek.html or by contacting the department at (509) 754-4624 or (360) 902-2515.

The deadline to apply is midnight Aug. 20.

Fifteen applicants will be chosen during a random drawing scheduled Aug. 22. Winners of the drawing will receive access permits to the Charles and Mary Eder Unit of the Scotch Creek Wildlife Area near Oroville. Part of that property was acquired by WDFW in 2007, with the rest remaining under private ownership, said Matt Monda, WDFW regional Wildlife Program manager.

“This private-public partnership is part of a concerted effort by the department to preserve hunting opportunities in Washington,” Monda said. “This is a quality hunt, open to the general public, without any additional fees beyond the cost of a hunting license and the standard tags.”

Of the 15 access permits available this year, five will be reserved for bowhunters, five for muzzleloaders and five for hunters using modern firearms.

Hunters are allowed to take only one deer, as authorized by their general hunting license. The access permit does not allow hunters to take additional deer, nor does it allow them to hunt for other species on the property, Monda said.

Area deer-hunting seasons are Sept. 16-30 for bowhunters, Oct. 4-10 for muzzleloaders and Oct. 11-19 for hunters using modern firearms.

The results of the drawing will be available on WDFW’s website the last week of August. Hunters who are drawn will receive an access permit and a boundary map in the mail.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 08:24:34 AM by bobcat »

Online Ghost Hunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Patron Life Member, RMEF Life, Sponser Member
Re: Okanogan County Limited Entry Deer Hunt
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 05:49:17 AM »
Is this the Nine Mile unit that came in late last year?
Economy failure = Too many people spending money they don't have on things they don't need to impress people they don't like.

Offline spin05

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 09:19:17 AM »
Did anybody ever get drawn for this??????? They should make this a late archery then i might get interested....

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 02:28:02 PM »
I guess no one on here got drawn for this hunt last year.
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline jstamp

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 04:36:42 PM »
my guess is whitetail? no mule deer?

Offline BC CHASER

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
  • Si vis pacem para bellum
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 06:03:54 PM »
If it is the nine mile area I know it pretty well.  My ex-girlfriends parents live in Oroville and her step dad and I would travel the property quite often.  There is more mule deer on and around there than whitetails.  I have seen some monsters of both species there.  Who ever draws the tags should have a really good hunt!  I have seen elk sign there but never the actual animal.  The stepdad on the other hand took pictures of two mamoth bulls 370-380 class right up by the old Molson school house.  If anyone does get drawn take a rod and reel and fish Sidley and Molson lakes they are chaulk full of 14-18'' rainbows and they are the best trout I have ever had.
WA.MT.UT.AZ.KS.NM.CO.AK.NZ.
Lion Pride founding member

Offline TeacherMan

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 01:50:58 PM »
The area outside Oroville has whitetail and muledeer on it. I checked it out since I live in Curlew. I have bow hunted mostly in the past, this area that would almost be impossible. The area has potential, I don't see it being a trophy area, lots of 3 and 4pts.
If you shoot the first one you will never get that true trophy.

Offline yelp

• Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2008, 07:44:58 PM »
Yes it is the ninemile area...Eder Property....WDFW is working on purchasing most of it I guess.  Lots of whitetails some Mule Deer.  But if you drew east okanogan permit you can't hunt on the property if you got drawn it is only for general archery,muzzleloader and rifle.  I think public land should be open to all hunting.
Wild Turkey, Walleyes, Whitetails and Wapiti..These are a few of my favorite things!!

Born to Yelp!
Short Hike Guide Service - Owner

Offline RubblesPH

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2008, 09:10:09 PM »
I hear rumors that the land was purchased last year and WDFG had to rush to get a special draw in place for the 07' season.  I also hear that the area is pretty well (not totally) land locked by the person that sold them the land.  Just rumors, but it sounds like WDFG got one pulled over on them.

Offline yelp

• Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2008, 04:08:40 PM »
Your almost correct...it sounds like they are trying to purchase the remainder..but owners are keeping a portion..I am hearing it is in the center somewhere which means they will have access when the public won't....what a shame.  The best tag would be a east Okanogan tag but they don't allow any access for that only to the guy selling?  BS  Public land should be open for all types of hunting during all seasons.  taxpayers money at work...

Wild Turkey, Walleyes, Whitetails and Wapiti..These are a few of my favorite things!!

Born to Yelp!

Offline RubblesPH

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2008, 04:38:36 PM »
Thanks Yelp....sounds like a bad deal. 

Since I have a ffriend that lives in Oroville and I didn't draw anything in WA this year I went ahead and put in for the muzz tag anyway.

Offline Huckleberry

• Hunter
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2008, 05:07:11 PM »
My older brother lives in oroville and was telling me about this hunt. The owner of the property sold the bulk of it to the wdfw for a really good price but left an easement in the contract for his elderly daughter to stay/live on the property. I think my brother mentioned she was handicapped or mentally challenged. Either way it sounded ok to me and not such a "bad deal". My understandings are that property will be turned over once she passes on (he said she didn't have kids).

Personally I like the idea of what's going on. More land to hunt that would otherwise be locked up. Even if it's a limited entry hunt it's still being used. It is supposed to be a give-me hunt from what I'm told but maybe further down the line there will be "trophy" potential for the place.

Offline yelp

• Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2008, 05:32:31 PM »
 So in your opinion you want public lands to be open only on a limited basis?  In your opinion it would be great for the trophy hunter...what about other taxpaying sportsman who just want to hunt?  What if the WDFW did this on all wildlife areas?  Colockum for instance...it might be better from a hunting standpoint but would limit access.  All I am saying is it is hard enough to find a place to hunt private or public.  I think we should make many of these places open for all users.  I am in it for the hunt that is all I care about. :twocents:

Born to Yelp!

Offline BC CHASER

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
  • Si vis pacem para bellum
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2008, 05:36:08 PM »
The ranch is on both sides of the road what side is this chunk on?
WA.MT.UT.AZ.KS.NM.CO.AK.NZ.
Lion Pride founding member

Offline yelp

• Frontiersman
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2008, 05:40:53 PM »
I believe...but maybe wrong the north side of nine mile?

Born to Yelp!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal