collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hunting with a bow during muzzleloader season  (Read 53202 times)

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
Re: Hunting with a bow during muzzleloader season
« Reply #165 on: April 04, 2012, 10:18:14 AM »
Well, what do you guys think about my suggestion to simply change the names of the seasons? Instead of archery, muzzleloader, and modern firearm, we'll have A, B, and C.

A tag is archery, B tag is archery or muzzleloader, C tag is anything.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #166 on: April 04, 2012, 10:19:13 AM »
Why wouldn't everyone just buy a C tag?
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #167 on: April 04, 2012, 10:20:06 AM »
Why wouldn't everyone just buy a C tag?

For the same reasons they don't buy a modern firearm tag now.   :dunno:

Offline Curly

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
« Reply #168 on: April 04, 2012, 10:20:12 AM »
Well, what do you guys think about my suggestion to simply change the names of the seasons? Instead of archery, muzzleloader, and modern firearm, we'll have A, B, and C.

I  think they need to change it to primitive weapon season and allow flintlocks and longbows only.  Just one season at the same time for blackpowder and longbows. :twocents:
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
« Reply #169 on: April 04, 2012, 10:20:50 AM »

That changes nothing but the name of the season. All my arguments would still apply. The only thing I think that would even it out would be opening up more units for the "B/ Muzzleloader season".
Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #170 on: April 04, 2012, 10:21:55 AM »

I  think they need to change it to primitive weapon season and allow flintlocks and longbows only.  Just one season at the same time for blackpowder and longbows. :twocents:

That will never happen. How many people do you know who want to hunt with a flintlock or a non-compound bow?

Offline Curly

• Legend
« Reply #171 on: April 04, 2012, 10:23:17 AM »

That will never happen. How many people do you know who want to hunt with a flintlock or a non-compound bow?

I know it won't happen.  I bet some would if they had seasons during the rut. :twocents:

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #172 on: April 04, 2012, 10:24:15 AM »

That changes nothing but the name of the season. All my arguments would still apply. The only thing I think that would even it out would be opening up more units for the "B/ Muzzleloader season".

Well that seems to be the issue for some people. They say, it's called "muzzleloader season" so you should have to hunt with a muzzleloader. Just don't call it muzzleloader season anymore (since it isn't).

Doesn't Idaho have what they call a "short range weapon" season?

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #173 on: April 04, 2012, 10:25:49 AM »

I know it won't happen.  I bet some would if they had seasons during the rut. :twocents:

Maybe but would it be fair that the muzzleloaders and bows that people have invested money into would becomce worthless?

Offline Curly

• Legend
« Reply #174 on: April 04, 2012, 10:28:49 AM »

Well that seems to be the issue for some people. They say, it's called "muzzleloader season" so you should have to hunt with a muzzleloader. Just don't call it muzzleloader season anymore (since it isn't).

Doesn't Idaho have what they call a "short range weapon" season?

In Idaho, do hunters have to pick their weapon.  OR do they get to hunt every season and use the appropriate weapon for the season like we used to be able to do in this state 30 years ago?

Offline Curly

• Legend
« Reply #175 on: April 04, 2012, 10:29:33 AM »

Maybe but would it be fair that the muzzleloaders and bows that people have invested money into would becomce worthless?

No, but not much that our gov dictates is fair.   Besides they could still use their more modern "primitive" weapons during the modern season.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #176 on: April 04, 2012, 10:31:47 AM »
In Idaho, do hunters have to pick their weapon.  OR do they get to hunt every season and use the appropriate weapon for the season like we used to be able to do in this state 30 years ago?

They have an "A" tag and a "B" tag. The A tag has more archery seasons but still some rifle and muzzleloader. The B tag is mostly the rifle seasons but also some muzzleloader (I think). Maybe someone more familiar with it can explain. (since I've never hunted in Idaho). I love some of Idaho's rules and seasons. Like the one where you can use your deer tag on a bear or cougar if you choose to do so.

Offline dreamingbig

• Frontiersman
« Reply #177 on: April 04, 2012, 11:01:07 AM »
Modern bows are not less of a weapon and in many cases are more of a weapon. First and most important is the rate of fire. I could get off at least 5 or 6 arrows in the time it takes to reload a ML. Secondly, a well tuned bow can shoot as accurately as a ML up to 100 yards (don't start; I don't take 100 yard shots at living things). A bow is also quiet, so the opportunity for a second shot is more likely than with a ML.

You wrote this.  Some other comments in previous posts have tried to make modern compounds equal to muzzleloaders as well.  My point is that the ethical killing distance for the average hunter is much greater with a muzzleloader than a bow.

I will give you that you can make a second shot faster with a bow than a muzzleloader if the animal is still around.
@mukbowhunt
Avid Bowhunter
Maxxis 35 / Trykon XL

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
« Reply #178 on: April 04, 2012, 11:12:01 AM »
Modern bows are not less of a weapon and in many cases are more of a weapon. First and most important is the rate of fire. I could get off at least 5 or 6 arrows in the time it takes to reload a ML. Secondly, a well tuned bow can shoot as accurately as a ML up to 100 yards (don't start; I don't take 100 yard shots at living things). A bow is also quiet, so the opportunity for a second shot is more likely than with a ML.

You wrote this.  Some other comments in previous posts have tried to make modern compounds equal to muzzleloaders as well.  My point is that the ethical killing distance for the average hunter is much greater with a muzzleloader than a bow.

I will give you that you can make a second shot faster with a bow than a muzzleloader if the animal is still around.
Also bows are more reliable in the rain/wet conditions. Although I still think bows are a slightly lesser weapon, I feel that isn't really even the issue. It's an issue of opportunity, hunting pressure, and  competition for special permits (Which hasn't really been brought up. But if a bow hunter buys a muzzy tag those muzzy permits are all he can put in for. Therefore worsens the draw odds for true muzzleloader hunters and improves the odds for people that buy bow tags.).
Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #179 on: April 04, 2012, 11:15:25 AM »

Like I've said twice since posting that, that's the reasoning that DFW used to prohibit the use of archery equipment during ML season. I didn't push for it. Apparently, they've since changed their minds.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal