collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 0 degree sleeping bag  (Read 8983 times)

Offline Jeremiah P

• outdoorsman
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
0 degree sleeping bag
« on: February 26, 2012, 02:59:04 PM »
Ok I have been looking at these for the last few weeks but cannot make a decision. I like the mont bell ul super spiral bag and the big agnes blackburn. Wondering if anyone had used either of have any other suggestions. Thanks
Remington 300RUM
Mathews DXT, Easton Axis, Trophy Taker, Spot Hogg, Badland Packs

Online Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
Re: 0 degree sleeping bag
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 03:40:19 PM »
What's important to you: weight, size, water repellancy, long life, cost?
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline high country

• Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 03:59:04 PM »
Montbell is top shelf. I run western mountaineering myself.

Offline halflife65

• Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 04:23:53 PM »
Montbell is top shelf. I run western mountaineering myself.
:yeah:  The difference is that I would LIKE to be running Western Mountaineering.  One of these days...

Offline Jeremiah P

• outdoorsman
  • Scout
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 06:34:00 PM »
Weight is very important due to backpack trips. Are you guys saying that western mountaineering bags are better? Thanks
Remington 300RUM

Offline Jeremiah P

• outdoorsman
  • Scout
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 07:11:12 PM »
The extreme mountaineering grizzly mf 0* bag looks pretty nice
Remington 300RUM

Offline HardCorpsHuntr

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Semper Fi
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 07:21:34 PM »
I'm getting the MH 20 degree Spectre bag when they get back in stock (I want a water resistant shell with down at 800 fill plus). 

Here is their zero, which is what I would buy if looking for a zero.

http://www.mountainhardwear.com/Banshee%E2%84%A2-0-%28Long%29/OU8480_L,default,pd.html

Good luck.
"Fast is fine. Accuracy is final. You need to learn to shoot slow, real fast." -Wyatt Earp

Offline Wanttohuntmore

• Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 07:26:35 PM »
Also check out the North Face bag.  I just bought one of their synthetics after looking at the weights, and am pretty happy with it.  I have an old Eddie Bauer down bag that is my favorite, but it just doesn't work when it's really wet out.

Offline high country

• Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 10:05:55 PM »
Weight is very important due to backpack trips. Are you guys saying that western mountaineering bags are better? Thanks

WM, montbell, valandre.....you are at the top of the heap. You have to focus on what you want in features. I run a wm because they are a bit bigger....and made in the usa.

Offline swanny

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
    • 9to5active
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 08:04:49 AM »
Love Marmot bags personally. Do you really need a ZERO degree bag?! +15 should be plenty for most any time of the year in our state, for almost anywhere you go.

Offline 7mag.

• Blacktail Hunter
  • Frontiersman
  • YAR member
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 08:13:42 AM »
Love Marmot bags personally. Do you really need a ZERO degree bag?! +15 should be plenty for most any time of the year in our state, for almost anywhere you go.

Twice I've had it go to single digits on the high hunt in September. I was pretty glad to have a Zero degree bag.
Semper Fi. USMC

Offline rasbo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Legend
  • In God I trust...Try taking that away from me!
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2012, 08:41:45 AM »
when I see the degrees posted on bags,Like, good to 15 degrees,Im sure that means you wont die at 15 degrees,but your gonna freeze your ass off all night...I had a zero degree mummy,stayed warm at 12 degrees but was most uncomfortable in it..to tight

Offline baldopepper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2012, 08:57:05 AM »
If you are not backpacking with it, don't mess around-buy the -35 oversize bags. Spent a couple of nights hunting in Utah where it was so cold our Igloo water jug froze solid and all beer and pop cans exploded, still slept warm.  Much easier to un zip and throw off a bag that's to warm than to try to stay warm in an under rated bag.  Unless you have to for back packing, I would never consider a mummy bag unless you have a body that resemble a pipe cleaner. Oversize is the only way to go!!! (They're cheap enough these days a person can own 2 easy enough-one for summer and one for winter)

Offline high country

• Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2012, 09:00:19 AM »
when I see the degrees posted on bags,Like, good to 15 degrees,Im sure that means you wont die at 15 degrees,but your gonna freeze your ass off all night...I had a zero degree mummy,stayed warm at 12 degrees but was most uncomfortable in it..to tight

That is exactly how bags are rated. You will not be comfortable in a 0 degree bag in 0 degrees, but you will not die.Read an article that said to buy at least 20 degrees less that you were expecting the temp to be.

It all depends on the mfr. I ran a Sierra designs for a few years. They make a good solid product, but the rating was a bit optimistic imo. My wm bag is lighter and I have taken it to 5* under its rating (15* bag) and my only gripe was when my hat fell off. I did sleep in my long johns and was comfy all under my megalight, which is noting more than a tarp. If you use a bivy you can get away with less bag.

Offline rasbo

• Legend
  • In God I trust...Try taking that away from me!
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2012, 09:03:50 AM »

That is exactly how bags are rated. You will not be comfortable in a 0 degree bag in 0 degrees, but you will not die.Read an article that said to buy at least 20 degrees less that you were expecting the temp to be.

It all depends on the mfr. I ran a Sierra designs for a few years. They make a good solid product, but the rating was a bit optimistic imo. My wm bag is lighter and I have taken it to 5* under its rating (15* bag) and my only gripe was when my hat fell off. I did sleep in my long johns and was comfy all under my megalight, which is noting more than a tarp. If you use a bivy you can get away with less bag.
I finally said hell with it and bought the 23ft comfort aluminum bag,LOL

Offline high country

• Old Salt
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2012, 09:04:08 AM »
If you are not backpacking with it, don't mess around-buy the -35 oversize bags. Spent a couple of nights hunting in Utah where it was so cold our Igloo water jug froze solid and all beer and pop cans exploded, still slept warm.  Much easier to un zip and throw off a bag that's to warm than to try to stay warm in an under rated bag.  Unless you have to for back packing, I would never consider a mummy bag unless you have a body that resemble a pipe cleaner. Oversize is the only way to go!!! (They're cheap enough these days a person can own 2 easy enough-one for summer and one for winter)

When i got my ultimate thule by wiggy's I tried it in the yard on a pad without any cover. It was just below zero and i woke to a frozen shell, but was cozy warm. That is a seriously warm bag.

Offline swanny

• Sourdough
    • 9to5active
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2012, 03:18:14 PM »

Most main stream manufacturers are now using the EN rating system which does help standardize and provide a more true rating for the bag. A +15 bag from many of the major players is really going to provide you true +15 warmth now for most people. This does take into effect that you are wearing midweight long underwear, socks, a hat, and are using a sleeping pad.

Offline Miles

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2012, 04:43:32 AM »
Golite is having some sales if you care to research them.  I have a golite 20* down bag and I'd take it a bit below 20 myself...  I believe their 0 bag comes in right around 3lbs.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Explorer
« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2012, 05:22:31 AM »
I say go with the Big Agnes sleep system. There are many advantages to having the sleeping pad incorporated within the sleeping bag. You can't go wrong especially if you ever sleep in a bivy or Hannessy Hammock.  :twocents:
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline Knocker of rocks

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2012, 06:20:58 AM »
Feathered Friends bags are top notch.

Offline Miles

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2012, 06:33:53 AM »
I say go with the Big Agnes sleep system. There are many advantages to having the sleeping pad incorporated within the sleeping bag. You can't go wrong especially if you ever sleep in a bivy or Hannessy Hammock.  :twocents:

That is true.  My father has a BA and that is a nice little set up (with the pad inside the bag).   The only downfall I can see is, when using a floorless shelter (like mine) his sleeping bag was literally on the ground/dirt.   I used my pad as the layer between my bag and the dirt.   The only way to get around this is to carry a ground sheet (more weight).

Offline high country

• Old Salt
« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2012, 08:42:47 AM »
I vary pads for conditions. I WAS really happy with my REM pad till it developed a leak that I could not find.....but if it is going to be cold (20* or less) the air pads don't keep me warm. At that point I go for a classic ridgerest.

Offline fillthefreezer

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • @adventure_sd
« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2012, 09:18:56 AM »
anyone try a kifaru bag?

Offline coachcw

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: Team getsum !
« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2012, 09:54:12 AM »
You might wanna check out a wiggley bag . they have a sleeping system . inner and outter bag the outter shell makes a good summer bag the inner goe's down to the teens and both gets you as low cold as you wanna go !
My wife told me that I hunt way more than I did when we first got married. I said yeah I know isn't it great !

Offline high country

• Old Salt
« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2012, 11:14:39 AM »
You might wanna check out a wiggley bag . they have a sleeping system . inner and outter bag the outter shell makes a good summer bag the inner goe's down to the teens and both gets you as low cold as you wanna go !

They are awesome for everything shy of backpacking. Well built, huge zippers and warm....but compressability is about equal to steel. Make sure if you buy one, you don't give jerry your email addy.....he is herpes to the spam account, he just won't go away.

Offline JackOfAllTrades

• Rasbo said I Ain't Right.
  • Old Salt
  • Μολὼν λαβέ
« Reply #25 on: February 29, 2012, 12:04:37 PM »
At 3pounds 8ounces, I've liked my Northface Snowshoe with good a sleep pad down below zero, but I am not broad shouldered. A big guy would have trouble in this model.

-Steve
The NRA says I'm a Master!
Colt's, Ruger's, Dan Wesson, & Kimber are my friends!
Proud to be a U.S. Navy Veteran.

If you never follow your dreams, you'll never go anywhere.

Critical thinking keeps people from freaking the hell out every time some half baked blogger forgets his meds. Unlike some of you, I do not have TawkethOutOfAnus© syndrome.

Offline coachcw

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: Team getsum !
« Reply #26 on: February 29, 2012, 12:12:32 PM »

They are awesome for everything shy of backpacking. Well built, huge zippers and warm....but compressability is about equal to steel. Make sure if you buy one, you don't give jerry your email addy.....he is herpes to the spam account, he just won't go away.
I guess my pack is bigger . but typically I only carry the inside bag while back packing , never been cold in it .
My wife told me that I hunt way more than I did when we first got married. I said yeah I know isn't it great !

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Explorer
« Reply #27 on: February 29, 2012, 01:21:34 PM »
If you are cocerned about weight you might think twice about Wiggy like High Country said. I have used mine on float hunts where weight is not as big of an issue. Plus mine is synthetic and don't compress as well as a dwn bag in a compression sack.
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline high country

• Old Salt
« Reply #28 on: February 29, 2012, 02:28:53 PM »
My badger is roomy and dang warm too.....and I could carry at least 3 in the space my wiggy's takes up.

http://www.westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=products&page=Sleeping%20Bags&cat=Microfiber%20Series&ContentId=34

Offline dreamingbig

• Frontiersman
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2012, 08:06:40 AM »
I have a REI sub kilo 20 bag and I haven't been cold in it yet.  Temps down to the teens only.  I wear a wool beanie and wool socks which might make it warmer than I think.
@mukbowhunt
Avid Bowhunter
Maxxis 35 / Trykon XL

Offline C-Money

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
  • Self proclaimed 3pt master
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2012, 08:16:07 AM »
I use Slumberjacks. They work well for me, and spent a lot of sub freezing nights in the back country of Wyoming, Oregon and Washington. When I go in very far, I usually have a horse carrying my gear. I like using a big, roomy bag!
I felt like a one legged cat trying to bury a terd on a frozen pond!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]