collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Breeders dealing with dysplasia  (Read 5232 times)

Offline Ireland Farms

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
    • https://www.facebook.com/IFLABS
    • Ireland Farms
Re: Breeders dealing with dysplasia
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2012, 05:24:52 PM »
The number I've heard is 7% if the pedigree has dogs passing their OFA's.

It's a great idea to have a guarantee in writing or on your website showing the requirements for a refund. With this economy, make sure you micro chip or have the buyer do it within a certain amount of time and get you the chip #, that way when the x-rays are done at 2 years of age, you can match the chip # to that of the actual dog and not just someone claiming the pup they got from you has dysplasia. It's great to think most people are honest, but getting things in writing are one way to be sure!

There are different reasons for dysplasia, and in my experience you really are only guaranteeing a buyer who plans to breed. Most everyone else likes that there is a guarantee, but doesn't bother with the necessary work, OFA fees, etc. in making sure their dog's hips are good. Fortunately I've not had any problems with clients having any problems with dysplasia in any of my dogs, but I know even at 7% it's bound to happen.

Offline Happy Gilmore

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2012, 11:57:35 AM »
The number I've heard is 7% if the pedigree has dogs passing their OFA's.

It's a great idea to have a guarantee in writing or on your website showing the requirements for a refund. With this economy, make sure you micro chip or have the buyer do it within a certain amount of time and get you the chip #, that way when the x-rays are done at 2 years of age, you can match the chip # to that of the actual dog and not just someone claiming the pup they got from you has dysplasia. It's great to think most people are honest, but getting things in writing are one way to be sure!

There are different reasons for dysplasia, and in my experience you really are only guaranteeing a buyer who plans to breed. Most everyone else likes that there is a guarantee, but doesn't bother with the necessary work, OFA fees, etc. in making sure their dog's hips are good. Fortunately I've not had any problems with clients having any problems with dysplasia in any of my dogs, but I know even at 7% it's bound to happen.

The dog must be microchipped to get an OFA#. The vet taking the film confirms the microchip and writes it on the paperwork and films. Same with CERF. PRA is DNA so, nothing there. This is why it is a good practice for the breeders to 'chip the pups.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt 1899

Offline Schmalzfam

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2017, 07:30:46 AM »
I was looking for information on supplements to help with hip dysplasia and came across this thread.

I think maybe my experience can help shine a little light on this.

I got a girl from some older lineage, in 2007.
She went into training at 6 months and was showing great stuff.
When she turned 9 months, I had Penn hip done to get an idea as I didn't want to put money into a dog who may have dysplasia or be prone to it-previous experience from another dog.
Penn hip came back and based on that info, I was sad...
She had OFA's done at 2, first results showed she had elbow dysplasia,  and her hips were fair.
Bummed!!
But, I kinda knew she wasn't going to be excellent based on the Penn Hip.
I wasn't happy with the elbow films, they weren't clear and she had a rice like object in her elbow.
Come to find out this was her micro chip. It migrated that far.
Had the films done at a later time and the chip moved more.
This made the film a lot better!
OFA then gave her a normal on the what was supposedly a bad elbow!
Anyways, I would do Penn Hip, as to my experience it was very accurate.
She is almost 10 and definitely has been showing signs of hip dysplasia for the last 3 years or so. It is the hip that Penn Hip determined at 9 months was most likely to become affected.
It's hard to look at lineage etc and base your decision solely on the OFA results. Most people don't bother with it or they choose to hide negative results...since they offer that option.

Just a little input, based on my first hand experience.

If you don't mind me asking, what was the outcome of this male Boykin?

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

World Record Archery Blacktail by pd
[Today at 07:31:15 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by trophyhunt
[Today at 07:20:21 PM]

Hunting Dog Memorial by Henrydog
[Today at 07:06:30 PM]

Pairs by nwwanderer
[Today at 07:02:59 PM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 06:50:06 PM]