collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Coyote hunting today was strange  (Read 3567 times)

Offline 222Rem

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Coyote hunting today was strange
« on: March 03, 2012, 04:32:49 PM »
Did anyone go coyote hunting in Eastern Wa today.  I went in area that I know there are coyotes- but today was odd.  Got there at 5:30 and walked to my first stand.  I have always heard coyotes howling while I walk in and they have always returned calls back to the Foxpro female coyote howl.  Today dead silent during the whole sunrise and no return calls.  I saw one yote at a different stand shortly after I started coyote pup distress but it did not come in.  The only thing different today was the wind was blowing pretty hard.  Do coyotes howl less when the wind is blowing?

Another thing - I found the remains of a coyote I shot 2 weeks ago and it had been eaten but 1/2 of it was buried.  The tracks around the buried part looked like a coyote.  I don't think there are bobcats in this the god forsaken area with no trees.
Do coyote bury carion?

I am new to this- wonder what everyone thinks.

Offline Jerry malbeck

• Scout
Re: Coyote hunting today was strange
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 08:15:30 PM »
Yes They bury food , when you see a big Heifer or steer stripped to the bone in a day or two the reason for that is coyotes will gorge them selves  go regurgitate the food and come back for more , kinda like a grocery store . they usually move the carcass, If its in the same place that is odd.
Love many
Trust few
Wrong None

Offline Feanix

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Hunter
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 08:43:53 PM »
same thing for us today. got them howling, but wouldn't commit until we switched to prey distress

Offline Brownie28

• Hunter
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 09:34:30 AM »
I went out last weekend to an area I KNOW has coyotes but they weren't responding to my calls. I think this late in the season they have been called and shot at that they may not be as vocal. I saw 4 coyotes last weekend that never answered my calls or came to distress. Between pressure and the road hunters im sure they have become alot more cautious about answering the dinner bell! Where bouts on the east side are you?

Offline Jack Diamond

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Scout
  • Groups: N.R.A., D.U.
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 11:54:28 AM »
Might be an anomaly , however I have never observed a coyote carcass eaten by another coyote. Didn't say it doesn't happen, where my dead dogs lay the birds finish them and it takes awhile . Probably another anomaly , have only seen cats attempt to cover or conceal a carcass .  Didn't say it can't happen, I have never seen
It.  My stance is that coyotes will eat on
A carcass until It comes apart and then drag off and consume in different areas causing it to be scattered.  :twocents:
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 12:37:59 PM by Jack Diamond »
Adapt, improvise,overcome

Enjoy American Lamb, 10,000 coyote's can't be wrong!

Offline norsepete

• Tracker
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 12:14:39 PM »
Went yesterday in the 278 unit,Didn't here a single one.Two weeks ago my son and I watched two coyotes tearing up a fresh deer kill.One was packing chunk of meat off 4 or 5 hundred yards and stashing it.After a long shot in the wind and a miss we went to the deer,There was a fetish laying there.

Offline bear hunter

• BEAR HUNTER
  • WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Union SheetMetal Worker 66- welder fab/WCO TRAPPER
    • Danny A Alvarez
  • Groups: WCW, RMEF, DU, BassMasters, WSTA, and Union Sportsmen's Alliaance
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 12:06:32 AM »
Did anyone go coyote hunting in Eastern Wa today.  I went in area that I know there are coyotes- but today was odd.  Got there at 5:30 and walked to my first stand.  I have always heard coyotes howling while I walk in and they have always returned calls back to the Foxpro female coyote howl.  Today dead silent during the whole sunrise and no return calls.  I saw one yote at a different stand shortly after I started coyote pup distress but it did not come in.  The only thing different today was the wind was blowing pretty hard.  Do coyotes howl less when the wind is blowing?

Another thing - I found the remains of a coyote I shot 2 weeks ago and it had been eaten but 1/2 of it was buried.  The tracks around the buried part looked like a coyote.  I don't think there are bobcats in this the god forsaken area with no trees.
Do coyote bury carion?

I am new to this- wonder what everyone thinks.
  They might of saw you setting up. I was out hunt 2 weeks ago in the pot holes. I found that the wind or rain has a lot to do with their habits. I set up 10 to 15 stands and didn't see one. My last stand right before dark I had three come in 5 Min's apart. I missed the first two :dunno: and bagged the last one. The next day we hiked in the same spot jumped one at 150 yds. He stud up but the Fing wind was pushing me around so I past on him. I went to another spot and right as I was putting the decoy down I saw movement. I looked up and 70 yards away a coyote was hunting. I traded to take a shot,but the wind and free hand shooting didn't help. I dropped and started calling. The coyote circled us. My buddy almost had a shot the brush was to thick. The dog winded us game over. I will get him later. Maybe next week.
Boar looking for Sow to hunt with. LOL

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10