collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: .45 colt single action 6 shooter for bear, thoughts?  (Read 11969 times)

Offline saylean

• Team Slayer Packmule
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
.45 colt single action 6 shooter for bear, thoughts?
« on: March 04, 2012, 03:14:09 PM »
I have been kicking around the idea of using a cowboy style, .45 colt single action 6 shooter for bear this year (not for all hunts, but just close ups where I would be surrounded by brush, up on a log jam, etc)....I think with the length of barrel (7.5 inches) and bullet weight, it would be effective enough (correct shot placement) for close up bear action.....thoughts?

Offline Sideswipe

• Hunter
Re: .45 colt single action 6 shooter for bear, thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 03:29:28 PM »
My 3d bear, an old sow, was taken w/hounds in CA.  It was up a redwood tree.  I shot it out of the tree w/my 45-70.  Busted her shoulder but after falling about 30' & rolled down a 15' embankment into a stream, she got up really pissed.  I was running towards her...jacking another shell into my Guide Gun when my buddy pulled out his old Colt single action 45.  Put two shots into her chest at about 10'.  I got there just in time to see two jets of steam (her last breath) coming out of two well-spaced holes in her chest.  Obviously, got the job done & it really went well w/my lever gun :chuckle:
Essayons "let us try" motto of US Army Combat Engineers

Offline saylean

• Team Slayer Packmule
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 03:31:00 PM »
I just think it would be fun to give it a try, given the right circumstances..Cool story sideswipe :tup:

I think I am gonna try it this spring when I draw.... :chuckle:

Offline fish vacuum

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 01:55:26 AM »
The .44mag is considered good for close range black bears and some of the .45colt loads match those ballistics. I say do it. A 7.5" barrel will do well and 1000 ft/lbs can be accomplished with stout factory ammo.

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 02:05:39 AM »
I love hunting with a handgun as most know. I have taken more then a few animals with a handgun as well. The 45lc at a close range "ideal would be around 25-30 yards" would be more then fine for a black bear. I have handguns I would feel fine shooting one to around 150yards with. With the right bullet and ideal shot placement it will have no problems taking care of a bear :tup:
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline BOWHUNTER45

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 04:55:50 AM »
heck ...just buy a 500 S&W and you will not need to worry about anything  :dunno: :chuckle:

Offline coachcw

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: Team getsum !
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 06:47:07 AM »
yep that will get it done . there's some preety stout loads for .45lc
My wife told me that I hunt way more than I did when we first got married. I said yeah I know isn't it great !

Offline 44 Flattop

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Hunter
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 07:26:18 AM »
I've hunted with a SA sixshooter for 35 years with no problems so that part shouldn't bother you.  A .45 Colt is a good caliber especially if you are a handloader.  If not, there are specialty loads on the market that will make it a VERY potent caliber for just about anything you want to hunt.

'I guess if I could have had but one rifle during all the years I hunted, it would have been the .44 (Winchester) .....it was no long range cartridge.....but for just plain every day use to put meat in the pot, it was a difficult cartridge to beat.'
**John Meyers-Soldier, Hunter, Rifleman**

Offline saylean

• Team Slayer Packmule
  • Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 10:10:51 AM »
heck ...just buy a 500 S&W and you will not need to worry about anything  :dunno: :chuckle:

I inherited this gun...otherwise, I'd be happy to buy one!

thanks for the info guys. I appreciate it. Look for an upcoming bear/cowboy gun/predator calling/ too close uh oh, thread.... :tup: :chuckle:

I drag along my lever action 30 30 for the funk of it too... ;)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 10:18:18 AM by saylean »

Offline Kowsrule30

• Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 02:23:50 PM »
Nice!!!

Offline arees

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: RMEF, SCI, NRA
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2012, 03:54:35 PM »
I carry one just like it for hunting in thick brush.  With the hand loads I make I have no concerns about bear or anything else.  I picked it up after shooting two elk at under 100 feet with a scoped rifle.  Open sites are better than a magnified view of fur.
We need a crusade for the children, a children's crusade.

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2012, 04:10:19 PM »
Very nice gun. I always love hunting with a gun that has been inherited. Always nice to take a moment and stop and think about where the gun has been and the people that left them to you. I have several that have been inherited and handed down. Some of my best hunts have been with them.
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline Sideswipe

• Hunter
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2012, 08:01:47 AM »
Nice look'in Colt....& a levergun too.  Don't pretend to know a lot about handguns but some of the responses to this thread were very interesting.
Essayons "let us try" motto of US Army Combat Engineers

Offline Rufous

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2012, 04:44:08 PM »
I have killed 3 black bears with my Ruger Bisley 45 Colt. You can probably do a search and find my posts about those hunts. First one was in SE AK May of 2004. Second one was in May of 2007 in SE WA. Last one was September of 2009 just east of Walla Walla. The AK bear was shot the previous evening with my 300 Win Mag. I did not hit it well. I tracked it for a couple hours the next day and was able to finish it with my revolver. The bear May 0f 07 I saw it from 700 yards away and decided to drive further up the road and then hiked toward the bear. When I saw it again it was about 50 yards away and I stalked in to about 25 yards away and opened fire. It took 4 or 5 hits before going down for keeps. The last one I was hunting on my own and called in with a mouth blown call while in some thick stuff. It came to within about 10 yards but I was not certain that it was the big one that I was hoping to find in that area based on all the big piles of poo. It got nervous and retreated back from where I had first seen it. I decided it was big enough and took the shot at 85 yards. It ran about 20 yards and was dead when I walked up on it.

I will tell you that they do not react to the shot like from a high powered rifle. The bullet does not "impress" them. But a well placed shot with a good bullet will certainly kill them.

I load my own ammo. I use the 345 grain WLNGC bullet from Beartooth Bullets and H110 powder. Quite effective. Good luck and let me know if you need more info. You may want to check the diameter of your cylinder throats. Most Ruger's these days are undersized which negatively affects accuracy. I had the throats on both of my Bisley's reamed out to 0.4525" diameter. They were about 0.449" from the factory.

Offline Rufous

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2012, 04:56:51 PM »
I forgot to mention that I had some other custom gunsmithing work done on mine. One operation that I had done is called a Taylor Throating. It reams the bore out where the barrel threads onto the frame. Many revolvers bores will have a constriction in this area so reaming that out will prevent the constricted bore from swaging the bullet down. You do not want that to happen as it is important for the bullet to make a tight seal with the bore. My guns are more accurate than I can shoot them. When I mount my 2x scope on and shoot from the bench with sandbags I can get 2" groups at 50 yards sometimes. I cannot do that with open sights, especially now that my tired eyes do not focus up close like they used to. Anyway it is a fun and exciting challenge to take bears with a revolver.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]