collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Do 10% of the hunters bag 90% of the game?  (Read 5270 times)

Offline Little Fish

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Do 10% of the hunters bag 90% of the game?
« on: July 18, 2007, 10:29:37 AM »
I have a theory that even though success rates for elk seem fairly low there is a select group who get their elk every year. Is this true? If you are one of those guys/gals what is it that makes you successful?

When it comes to fishing I catch more than the average fisherman, but when it comes to hunting I'm a rookie. I'd sure like to get there someday so any advice is appreciated.

LF

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
Re: Do 10% of the hunters bag 90% of the game?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 10:54:38 AM »
I think what you are saying is true abou t the successful.

I think you need to start thinking like the animal, and remember one thing.  They don't have a schedule like we do.  They need to eat  drink and sleep, they can do it when they want, they don't have comforts like we do, and all they have to do is survive.  I think a little luck helps, but I am a firm believer that you make your own luck.  Its not a matter of who hikes the farthest, etc.  You do need to work hard, spend the time out there, be quiet, and get er done when the animal makes that little mistake.  Many people work hard, but can't get the crunch done when it is needed.  They are fumbling with equipment, startled, nerve racked, or may not even have the determination to be out when its cold, drink that extra beer, play that extra prank, and hope for luck.

Offline finnman

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Sourdough
  • I gotcha where I want ya, now I'm gonna eat ya!
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 01:58:15 PM »
I am a firm believer in that statement. My younger brother and I both took up elk hunting the same year(1992). We both shot bulls up near Eatonville that year with our rifles. Since then he has been on an elk killing rampage! We both switched to archery in 1997, I have only killed 2 elk with my bow since, he on the other hand has shot 8 since then, including 7 in a row in Washington with his bow! His love for elk and elk hunting is unmatched, his effort level and determination are unreal, and he is extremely aggresive with elk and their behavior. Not to mention he is the best shot in our entire hunting party, consistent 4 inch groups at 70 yards, shoots all year long so he is sharp come sept. 8th. I envy him!

Offline high country

• Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 04:29:35 PM »
I am running 9 for 10 on elk, 100% on deer for the last 16 years and killed a bear every year I have hunted them.....that is 5, I swaer I will never kill another each time I shoot one.....other then spring bear.

I never quit hunting, I have quit a few jobs to get time off and I spend more time scouting and shooting than most school bus loads of joe hunters. some guys like to go to the lake in the summer, I just keep my favorite herd of elk in check.

Offline Little Fish

• Scout
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 05:02:38 PM »
....just as I suspected. So what are most important things someone needs to do to become a super hunter? Is it scouting? More practice with the bow or gun? Practice on the calls? Physical conditioning? I can do all of the above except for the scouting since I don't live very close to the areas I'm planning on hunting. If I were to find a way to do more scouting how do I quantify how much is enough? Do I locate 2 or 3 different bulls before opening day? How about finding a herd to concentrate on? Is it enough to identify "elky" looking locations then jump from spot to spot until I find animals?

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2007, 05:14:22 PM »
Location, Location, Location and dedication. To consistantly kill animals you have to find them.

I think it is a lifestyle, practice, scout, read, learn 24/7.

Offline PolarBear

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2007, 06:33:58 PM »
1. Yes
2. Dedication, consistency, determination and research!

Offline WDFW Hates ME!!!

• Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2007, 06:53:23 PM »
Since 1999 i would say we are part of that group...

We see, and usually have an opportunity at a legal bull every day.

And i would say the reason is because we get out of our vehicles...
And we work hard for our animals...
*censored* happens when you party naked!!!

IBEW Local 125

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2007, 07:03:45 PM »
I'll be the minority probably in this group, but I don't scout.  I have spent an ungodly amount of time in the woods, and the time I do get now, which is limited, I pay attention, but I spend more time making money so I can go on trips, and spending time with family.  I know my game though.  I have spent enough time out there that I can research as polarbear says by looking at maps, and have a pretty good idea of what I am getting into, where the animals will be etc.  I then use little time to sort it out, and put it together.  Sometimes I take the word of a good friend and some pointers from folks and then go from there.  Most of it is from just hard earned patience and time in the field.  Learn from your mistakes.  Unfortunately you'll never quite making them, you just hope you make fewer of them and at times that aren't quite so important.

Offline GoldTip

• Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2007, 02:46:46 PM »
For the last 20 years or so I would say I fit into the 90% who kill group, I have killed a buck every year with a bow since I moved to Washington, (14 yrs ago) and have killed an elk at least every year but 3, either rifle or bow.  And killed elk/deer in the other states I hunt.  For me it's about hunting smart, not hard.  My father in law will outwalk most 20 year olds and he's 60, but he only killls an elk every 3-4 years and sometimes eats his deer tag.  It's all about experience and time spent in the woods, and having a knowledge of what that elk is going to do next after you bump him or he bumps you.  Thankfully I have a career, where I get 8 weeks of vacation every year, and use about 80-90% of that time either in the woods scouting or hunting.
I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.
If I ageed with you, then we'd both be wrong.
You are never to old to learn something stupid.

Offline high country

• Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2007, 03:42:06 PM »
I have killed 2 elk within 500ft of each other in consecutive years and 6 others were all in the same section. all on public land. one in the rat race over in naches......you guys can have that mess! too many people!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]