collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Idaho OIL Tags  (Read 10911 times)

Offline Arteman

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
  • General of the Mongolian Bigfoot Militia
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001803366476
Idaho OIL Tags
« on: March 22, 2012, 12:45:20 PM »
Got an old Idaho regs book at home, but I'm at work and thought id just ask here.  Is it to late to put in for the Idaho sheep permit drawing for 2012 already, or is there still time?
When you see the third, thin the herd.
Right now I'm somewhere picking up sheds.

Offline 75johndeere

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
Re: Idaho OIL Tags
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 12:49:40 PM »
april 30th i think

Offline Arteman

• Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 12:59:15 PM »
Thanks, is it a state you pay the full price and get refunded if you don't draw, or just buy a license and the app like Washington and Oregon?

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 01:32:42 PM »
Thanks, is it a state you pay the full price and get refunded if you don't draw, or just buy a license and the app like Washington and Oregon?

If it's like their moose tag you have to pay full price, then if you don't get drawn you get all but a small portion back.
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline B.G.hunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 01:35:18 PM »
Yes you have to buy the license($154.75), tag(2101.75) and application fee($14.75).  If you do not get drawn then you get a refund for the tag price ($2101.75).
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 01:42:05 PM by B.G.hunter »
"Shoot the spike".  It's much easier to pack out!

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 01:50:27 PM »
Yes you have to buy the license($154.75), tag(2101.75) and application fee($14.75).  If you do not get drawn then you get a refund for the tag price ($2101.75).
    :yike:    Hopefully they let you put that on a credit card!

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 02:28:16 PM »
You don't get quite that much back as you have to pay a convienence fee for doing it (if you do it online)  Its a percentage of the total price.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 02:29:24 PM »
THe GOOD thing is that you can only pick ONE OIL and if you choose OIL you CANNOT apply for special deer or elk.   That makes OIL odds fairly decent.

Offline Arteman

• Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2012, 10:12:51 PM »
Thanks guys for the info, I had no idea you had to front the money in Idaho.  I'm a little unprepared to pay that price, and dont really want to get a credit card.  Ill have to scratch that idea tell next year.  I heard somewhere Idaho had the best odds for drawing sheep tags than other states so thought I'd start trying.

Offline shanevg

• Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/shanevg
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2012, 08:09:47 AM »
Part of the reason for such good odds is that you have to front the money and you don't build points. It keeps a lot of people applying as they dont see any long term advantage like there is in other states.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2012, 10:29:25 AM »
They've been really pushing the points option, but so far sportsman have stopped the effort.

Offline buckhorn2

• Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2012, 11:04:54 AM »
It;s a fair draw for everyone with no preference points but still the non-resident hunters only get a small per-centage of the tags. Expensive but still a lot less than canada or alaska. When I hunted Kotzebue there were pallets and Pallets on the airport stacked with moose meat that people did;nt ship home because of the price to ship but the meat was donated to native people and some was flown as far as fairbanks.One had only backstraps on it and it was stacked about 5 feet tall would have liked to figured how to get that home.

Offline shanevg

• Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/shanevg
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2012, 01:32:51 PM »
They've been really pushing the points option, but so far sportsman have stopped the effort.

Man if they implemented points in Idaho my out of state application budget would sure go up. (Assuming of course they at least let everyone apply points only for every species.)

I didn't apply this year because of all the car issues I've been having. Idaho is the first to get cut out just because there is no hit on your future draw odds if you miss a year. Another positive side of having no points.

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2012, 02:51:09 PM »
I am a definite fan of no points in Idaho. If they ever go to a point system I hope it is like Utah, where half the tags are random draw and half the tags go to the applicants with the most points. That seems like the fairest system to me.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline Austrian Hunter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2012, 03:00:30 PM »
I am a definite fan of no points in Idaho. If they ever go to a point system I hope it is like Utah, where half the tags are random draw and half the tags go to the applicants with the most points. That seems like the fairest system to me.

:yeah:

Offline JLS

• Frontiersman
  • Groups: Support the LWCF!
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2012, 03:08:50 PM »
    :yike:    Hopefully they let you put that on a credit card!

Cash only, small unmarked bills.... 8)
Matthew 7:13-14

Offline Ridgerunner

• Frontiersman
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2012, 03:28:32 PM »
If a guy really wants to hunt Shiras moose, then Idaho is definately the place to be applying, odds are you would draw within 5 years, heck of a lot better odds than here where a guy is lucky to draw once in his lifetime.

Offline Ranger91298

• Longhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2012, 11:28:57 PM »
If a guy really wants to hunt Shiras moose, then Idaho is definately the place to be applying, odds are you would draw within 5 years, heck of a lot better odds than here where a guy is lucky to draw once in his lifetime.
Tell that to a close friend that has been putting in for moose for the past 25 years without luck... then again another guy in our camp got drawn his first year applying in 2010... but that is what is great about Idaho... everyone is on the same level... I hope they  never change it...

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2012, 11:35:00 PM »
Tell that to a close friend that has been putting in for moose for the past 25 years without luck... then again another guy in our camp got drawn his first year applying in 2010... but that is what is great about Idaho... everyone is on the same level... I hope they  never change it...

He's probably applying for a unit with good road access. I heard the units with very little road access are easy to draw.

Offline Ranger91298

• Longhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2012, 11:47:12 PM »

He's probably applying for a unit with good road access. I heard the units with very little road access are easy to draw.
Same unit for the both of them.... nothing but luck involved...

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2012, 07:31:43 AM »
I drew first year.......Idabooner drew first year.   ALSO drew first year in New Mexico for elk.   What do both states have in common.    NO POINTS

Offline Ranger91298

• Longhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2012, 08:31:54 PM »
I drew first year.......Idabooner drew first year.   ALSO drew first year in New Mexico for elk.   What do both states have in common.    NO POINTS
Bone, this will be my third year wish me luck.. lol

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2012, 12:10:34 PM »
I believe wyoming is kinda like that also, most the tags go to the guys with MOST points. I have 1 less point than the max in wyoming and I still can't get drawn but at least I know the tags are going to hunters that have put in their time. I also agree with bearpaw.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2012, 07:21:33 PM »
Problem is, they throw that percentage cap to non residents in there and MANY of the units don't even offer a chance for a non res tag.   

I stand by the belief that preference points are the scourge....

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal