collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Sage Rats  (Read 8659 times)

Offline 204chucknorris

• Team Maybe next time
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Sage Rats
« on: March 25, 2012, 09:18:49 PM »
Well, went out sage rat hunting (shooting) today with my son and a buddy of mine! We drove around a area only to find a few, then finally they started popping out and the good time began. A little while later we moved to another area and dug out the AR15 with 60grain V-max! Let the good times begin! Average ranges were 150 to250 with a few vacant holes at 400yards. Time to reload and get ready again with hope of some 400 yard shots.

Offline dontgetcrabs

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
Re: Sage Rats
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 09:31:21 PM »
Nice...  Got the quad out this afternoon and rode the canal bank. Man they were thick. Saw some guys prone shooting across a gulley. Fun times.   :tup:

Offline Heredoggydoggy

• Old Salt
  • Team I'M TOO OLD FOR THIS $H!T !
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 07:40:56 AM »
Got back last night from a weekend of Ground Squirrel shooting in Oregon.  My buddy, his son, and I probably killed 350-400 rats total.  Weather was beautiful!
If it was easy, everybody would be doing it.

When Bernie Madoff did it, it's called a "Ponzi Scheme"
When Government does it, it's called "Social Security"

Offline BIGINNER

• YAR TOWN CRIER *************
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 07:44:08 AM »
I MISSED OUT THIS WEEKEND,  WOULD HAVE BEEN PERFECT WEATHER FOR SAGE RAT SHOOTING.  MIGHT GO OUT THIS WEEK IF WE HAVE SUNNY WEATHER.  :tup:
THIS MESSAGE WAS SENT USING MY TIME MACHINE.... SO THIS IS MY OPINION TOMORROW...

OH BY THE WAY. I FIGURED OUT HOW TO TURN ON CAP LOCKS ON MY PHONE... :IBCOOL:  :yike: :yike:

Offline doyourtime89

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 09:15:42 AM »
I see that Heredoggydoggy was saying he went to Oregon to do this.  I have seen where there are a bunch of ranches in Oregon to go do this for a fee.  Is there anywhere in WA to do something like this.  My son would LOVE getting out and doing this.  He is always hitting me up to go out and do something like this, I just don't know where to go or even get started.

Offline Loki_762

• Accuracy Freak
  • Tracker
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 09:27:06 AM »
It seems like much of my sage rat shooting is just driving around in the desert and getting out and shooting when I see a few.  I would also love a chance to find a spot that is crawling with them so I could feed them some lead from the .17 HMR, .204, or .223.  What kind of areas should I be looking for to have big number of them?
Thanks,
Chris
Never argue with an idiot - first they bring you down to their level, then they beat you with experience.

Offline Raul Duke

• Longhunter
  • Team Maybe Next Time
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 05:19:45 PM »
Weather was great yesterday. We also got out 2x to do a little shooting. Had a blast watching my kids smoke'em with our .17hmr.  Good Times  :tup:
Coyote Madness 7 Stats:
Stands : 39
Kills : 3
Runners : 6
Misses : 5

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 05:49:12 PM »
I'm headed out next weekend to OR to do do me shooting. What are you guys paying for 17hmr? Where? I gotta pick some up for a buddies rifle we are going to borrow.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Heredoggydoggy

• Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 06:46:32 PM »
I'm headed out next weekend to OR to do do me shooting. What are you guys paying for 17hmr? Where? I gotta pick some up for a buddies rifle we are going to borrow.

I was just looking at HMR ammo--seems like it went up, along with everything else.  I usually get a box of 500 every season, and Midway has the 500 box (10 boxes of 50) for $109.00.  Wish I lived closer to Cabela's.  A while back they had 17 HMR ammo advertised in their sale flyer for 9.99 a box. (50 rounds).  Best price I've ever seen.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, 06:50:21 PM »
Busting them out of my garden.   410 and 10/22    Let the extermination begin.  They are thinner this year then they have been.  Does that mean I am making progress?

Offline Heredoggydoggy

• Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2012, 06:52:33 PM »
I see that Heredoggydoggy was saying he went to Oregon to do this.  I have seen where there are a bunch of ranches in Oregon to go do this for a fee.  Is there anywhere in WA to do something like this.  My son would LOVE getting out and doing this.  He is always hitting me up to go out and do something like this, I just don't know where to go or even get started.

You don't have to pay to shoot Oregon squirrels.  find a ranch that has lots of them, and ask.  Ranchers hate them and are happy to have someone kill them.  All they are concerned with is you taking care not to hit their livestock.  One rancher even moved the cattle out of a field so we could shoot it the next day.

Offline Heredoggydoggy

• Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2012, 06:59:42 PM »
Busting them out of my garden.   410 and 10/22    Let the extermination begin.  They are thinner this year then they have been.  Does that mean I am making progress?

The people we talked to in Oregon said they were late getting out of the burrows this year, but were bigger.  We noticed that the squirrels seemed bigger and fatter than usual.  They said it was well into March before they started to see them.  Good luck exterminating them--a pair can have 3 or 4 litters a summer!

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2012, 07:16:13 PM »
What is becoming more prominent is the purchase of rights so that an outfitter can charge to shoot them.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Raul Duke

• Longhunter
  • Team Maybe Next Time
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2012, 06:03:12 AM »

I was just looking at HMR ammo--seems like it went up, along with everything else.  I usually get a box of 500 every season, and Midway has the 500 box (10 boxes of 50) for $109.00.  Wish I lived closer to Cabela's.  A while back they had 17 HMR ammo advertised in their sale flyer for 9.99 a box. (50 rounds).  Best price I've ever seen.

Check your local Bi-Mart. I pick up Hornady V-Max ammo for $9.99 a box . They go on sale twice a month. Just gotta keep your eyes open. Usally a flyer in thursdays paper.
Coyote Madness 7 Stats:
Stands : 39
Kills : 3
Runners : 6
Misses : 5

Offline Snopczynski

• Hunter
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2012, 07:41:49 AM »
Got back last night from a weekend of Ground Squirrel shooting in Oregon.  My buddy, his son, and I probably killed 350-400 rats total.  Weather was beautiful!
What Caliber were you guys using?

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull