collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Cabelas Tags  (Read 12211 times)

Offline smitty8202

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Cabelas Tags
« on: March 26, 2012, 05:26:16 PM »
I was wondering if anyone has used or know anyone that has used Cabelas tags. I am thinking about using it to put in for colorado elk. but its says that i would only have to pay 113 bucks. any info helps thanks.

Offline SilkOnTheDrySide

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
Re: Cabelas Tags
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 05:31:42 PM »
I'm intrigued...

Offline SilkOnTheDrySide

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 05:36:05 PM »
So I looked...and it's kind of a rip off.  For example, yes they "float" the tag fees, but tag massive commission too.  For example, in Utah, my total application to apply for every animal in the state was around 240 bucks.  If you went through Cabelas TAGS, it would be 600...though you don't have to do ANY research either.

Offline smitty8202

• Hunter
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 05:47:02 PM »
ya but i would only be applying for colorado elk. i guess i could just call cabelas and ask them.

Offline shanevg

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/shanevg
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 09:10:56 PM »
It can be a real advantage for someone like me for front tag fees when it's required.  I don't have and am not eligible for a credit limit high enough to front tag fees for all the states.  I also don't have the cash available to front tag fees in NM, CO, AZ, MT, etc.  This way it is at least possible to apply if you are willing to pay the money.  I hate having other people apply for me just because they can make mistakes but it is sometimes the only option.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 09:15:27 PM »
I just put in by myself after researching the areas. Remember some of the services want you to hunt with their guides if you draw i.e. USO. It is a little later in the game for Colorado.
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline buckhorn2

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 09:50:07 PM »
I used the Huntin Fool when I put in for Idaho moose and it cost 50 dollars to do it and gave me a list of other hunters that had hunted there that were hunting fool members that had drawn the same tag and you could call them and ask questions about there hunt, But a couple guys on our site gave me the best information.

Offline NWWA Hunter

• Scout
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF, DU, MDF, SCI
Cabelas Tags
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 11:33:11 PM »
But with the Huntin fool you have to front the tag fees. Cabelas is a good program but they charge hefty fees. I want to say a Colorado point for elk is like $26 and 2 months interest at 18 percent on roughly 500 is like 6 making it much cheaper on a cc.
Take your kids into the outdoors. They are our future. Support conservation by joining and participating in future through NRA, SCI, RMEF, Wild Sheep or any of the other great organizations.

Offline Bigshooter

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
  • High Wide And Heavy
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 11:45:17 AM »
I've used them when I didn't have the money to front tags fee's.
Welcome to liberal America, where the truth is condemned and facts are ignored so as not to "offend" anyone

"Borders, language, culture."

Offline Benny

• Hunter
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 11:52:48 AM »
I would be hard pressed to use Tags as they have missed a few deadlines in the past.  :twocents:

Offline smitty8202

• Hunter
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2012, 12:28:56 PM »
so the concensus here is dont use tags its not worth it? i think next year i might try it and see how it goes.

Offline Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2012, 12:53:29 PM »
so the concensus here is dont use tags its not worth it? i think next year i might try it and see how it goes.

I think that if you can afford it, it's nice to have someone do the research and front the refundable fees for you.  I couldn't afford it, but if I could, I would probably use it.
Kind of like paying a stock broker to help you decide what stocks to buy.   :dunno:
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.  That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Offline Bigshooter

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
  • High Wide And Heavy
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2012, 02:06:45 PM »
I would be hard pressed to use Tags as they have missed a few deadlines in the past.  :twocents:

I believe they only missed arizona elk a few years back with paper applications.  And now every western state does online applications so I wouldn't worry about them missing any.
Welcome to liberal America, where the truth is condemned and facts are ignored so as not to "offend" anyone

"Borders, language, culture."

Offline Dode

• Hunter
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2012, 06:19:29 PM »

I believe they only missed arizona elk a few years back with paper applications.  And now every western state does online applications so I wouldn't worry about them missing any.

They screwed up a few years back on some Colorado applications.  And speaking of Colorado they still require paper apps for sheep, moose and goat.  If you must use a service I would check into Hunter Application Service or H.A.S..  They front your money and I have not heard of them screwing up any bodies applications.  That I know of anyway.
Mountain top!

Offline trophyelk6x6

• Longhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2012, 07:40:42 PM »
I used Cableas the first year I started applying to other states. Not only to learn the process but to get a better idea of the best units. They give you a portfolio which isnt much but since they float the tag fees, thats actually pretty cool so you dont have to carry those high tag fees for a couple months on your card (reinburst if you dont draw).  Then I started doing it myself, and learned that each state is getting much better at easy website process's. Then I started using Huntin Fool for their insight and knowledge. I dont use their tag service but I do subscribe so I know which units and all the other info needed such as deadlines etc.  It's actually not very hard :)

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]