collapse
Double U Hunting Supply See our Super Grade Outdoor Equipment!

Author Topic: Bob Beck, host of "Extreme Outer Limits," busted for poaching in Idaho  (Read 7274 times)

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: WFW, WSTA, WSB, WPHA, FWM, NRA, SCI, NAHC, IOGA, MOGA, BBB
http://trophymaps.com "Do-It-Yourself Maps"    http://bearpawoutfitters.com "Leases, Camps, Cabins, Hunts"    http://graywolfnews.com "Wolf News"
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups and quit losing opportunity.

Offline NWoutdoors

• Site Sponsor
  • Pilgrim
    • Northwestern Outdoors Radio
    • http://northwesternoutdoors.com
Re: Bob Beck, host of "Extreme Outer Limits," busted for poaching in Idaho
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2012, 06:46:09 PM »
We are covering this story on Northwestern Outdoors Radio this weekend.  We cover both the story written by Rich Landers at the Spokesman Review and then get Bob Beck on the air to respond.  You can listen to it at the link below, on our website at www.northwesternoutdoors.com or on our show that will air this weekend.  Our website lists our 32 stations and air times on the "Listen to the Show" page!

http://soundcloud.com/northwestern-outdoors/nwoutdoors-bobbeck-controversy

John Kruse
Host and Producer
Northwestern Outdoors Radio

Offline DBHAWTHORNE

• Board Moderator
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Washington For Wildlife
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2012, 06:55:28 PM »
I can buy that he forgot to purchase the second tag but thought he had it. What I don't buy is the fact that he was forthright and honest with his mistake. He had to of known that he didn't have that second tag shortly after killing the deer. Why didn't he come forward immediately? It makes no sense to wait until you are "confronted". Unless pieces of the story are missing his actions do not appear to be that of a professional.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 01:26:33 AM by DBHAWTHORNE »
The views expressed here are solely those of the author in his private capacity and do not in any way represent the views of  the Department of Defense or any other entity of the US Government. The Department of Defense does not approve, endorse or authorize this posting.

Offline NWoutdoors

• Site Sponsor
  • Pilgrim
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2012, 03:52:58 PM »
Thanks for the feedback. I've gotten similar questions from others and have contacted Bob Beck for a response.  We will be sharing that next weekend on our show and will make sure we share it here as well!

John Kruse
www.northwesternoutdoors.com

Offline Arteman

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
  • General of the Mongolian Bigfoot Militia
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001803366476
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2012, 05:58:12 PM »
Just goes to show what fame will get ya, I could see cutting the guy slack on the honest mistake, but to me he became the criminal when he tried to skate on it.  No I'm not holyer than thou, and I may have tried the same, but I don't have hundreds of thousands of dollars in sponsers betting on me either.

So by your logic it's ok to break the law and commit crimes if your not sponsored or of lower income?? Good to know. Especially after you say he became a criminal when he tried to skate on it.
Before you open your mouth again go read my first post.  What I meant by cutting him some slack on is if he made a honest mistake and fessed up to it, then don't take his sportsmans channel privileges away, but he knowingly tried to get away with it, jeopardizing thousands in sponsorships, and then when caught gave his excuses.  I'm all for him or anybody getting punished for not buying a tag and shooting an animal, but if it was a mistake that he would have owned up to right away I wouldn't care so much.  And yes, like I said he became a criminal when he knowingly tried to get away with it, because if what he says is true, he thought he had the tag when he shot it.  Now wheres that stupid people piss me off icon???
When you see the third, thin the herd.
Right now I'm somewhere picking up sheds.

Offline RichL

• Pilgrim

Offline Happy Gilmore

• Site Ad Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2012, 10:27:45 AM »
I call BS. If he "knew" that he'd made a mistake like that, he would have never aired it on TV. He could have edited the show a million ways to Friday but, he didn't.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt 1899

Offline TheHunt

• Old Salt
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2012, 10:35:14 AM »
Here is how I read this:

1.  He knew he messed up.  He did nothing to see if he was going to skate.
2.  He only confessed once confronted.  So he was like your child who does not say anything until you ask. "Johnny did you break that window?".  We can expect that from a child.  Do we expect that from a "Professional"?

275 down 2

Online bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2012, 10:55:27 AM »
I call BS. If he "knew" that he'd made a mistake like that, he would have never aired it on TV. He could have edited the show a million ways to Friday but, he didn't.

He did know. There's no question about that. The discrepancy is whether he knew he was hunting without having the second tag, or if he didn't realize that until after he killed the 2nd deer.

His story and the story from the news article (which came from the Idaho Fish & Game) do not agree on this.

But either way, he did kill a second deer without a tag and did not admit to it until confronted a year later.

And yes, he was dumb enough to put the video of his poaching activiites on TV.

Offline NWoutdoors

• Site Sponsor
  • Pilgrim
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2012, 09:59:43 PM »

Following our interviw with Bob Beck last week we got several comments from listeners about questions I should have asked.  I have asked them, and Bob has given us a response (of sorts).  We've posted his e-mailed comments on our website and will also be talking about them during our show this weekend.  Thanks to all of you as well who gave us input on this issue!

http://northwesternoutdoors.com/Blog/page1/2012/04/03/d51ae8c1-780e-4e02-b5bb-df3ac2a28cbc.aspx

John Kruse

Online bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2012, 10:06:39 PM »
It seems to me that he's really, really sorry........ that he got caught.

I don't think there's any need to torture the guy anymore, with more questions.

The fact that there are certain questions that he refuses to answer, says a lot.

Offline Arteman

• Sourdough
  • General of the Mongolian Bigfoot Militia
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001803366476
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2012, 10:48:19 PM »
It seems to me that he's really, really sorry........ that he got caught.

I don't think there's any need to torture the guy anymore, with more questions.

The fact that there are certain questions that he refuses to answer, says a lot.
  :yeah:
When you see the third, thin the herd.
Right now I'm somewhere picking up sheds.

Online pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Explorer
  • NRA Life, MH, WFW, CCRKBA, NAGR, RMEF, WSB
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2012, 07:15:13 AM »
Yeah, the answer I got back from the Sportsman Channel says they think he's fine and he made a mistake. I think not only his show is off my recorder, but I'm of a mind to cancel the hunting channels, as well.
"One does not hunt in order to kill. On the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted." --Jose Ortega y Gasset
"Hunting has opened the earth to me and let me sense the rhythms and hierarchies of nature."
Charles Fergus
"You can run, but you'll just die tired." R. Kemp USMC Scout/Sniper

Online predatorpro

• Sourdough
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2012, 07:29:56 AM »
i liked their response, i think it was very well said and i really have no problem to continue to watch the sportsmans channel, but hey have fun watching Oprah  :chuckle:

Online pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Explorer
  • NRA Life, MH, WFW, CCRKBA, NAGR, RMEF, WSB
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2012, 07:41:45 AM »
i liked their response, i think it was very well said and i really have no problem to continue to watch the sportsmans channel, but hey have fun watching Oprah  :chuckle:

lol, don't bet on that ever happening!
"One does not hunt in order to kill. On the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted." --Jose Ortega y Gasset
"Hunting has opened the earth to me and let me sense the rhythms and hierarchies of nature."
Charles Fergus
"You can run, but you'll just die tired." R. Kemp USMC Scout/Sniper

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2012, 07:59:35 AM »
Didn't watch him before he poached, and won't watch him afterwards.      I quit watching all of that stupid channel.   This is the sort of stuff that that kind of television breeds.    There is a whole list of stuff that many of those shows to "wrong" just for ratings and PC and to get "the shot"

Offline NWoutdoors

• Site Sponsor
  • Pilgrim
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2012, 08:25:05 PM »
From our blog page at www.northwesternoutdoors.com

April 5, 2012

Bob Beck, host of "Extreme Outer Limits" on the Sportsman Channel, made several statements to us about the legal trouble he found himself in after bagging two white-tail deer during a televised 2010 Idaho hunt.  He said in part:

1.  The violation was merely an administrative mistake.

2.  He is sorry he made this mistake.

3.  He repeatedly implied he has cooperated fully with Idaho Fish and Game.

4.  He has publicy refuted media reports on our radio show that his hunting priviliges are revoked in 36 other states due to his guilty plea in this case.

We attempted to ask Bob Beck more questions about this situation but he said on the advice of his attorney and the network he can't comment.  He also made several other comments in another blog post at www.northwesternoutdoors.com and during an earlier on air interview of Northwestern Outdoors Radio. 

That's when we decided to reach out to Dave Overman, a Senior Conservation Officer and Regional Investigator for  Idaho Fish and Game.  Overman confirmed Bob Beck never purchased a second tag for the deer he shot in November of 2010 even though he said he did so on the TV episode this violation aired on.  Overman said Beck never  contacted Fish and Game investigators until an investigation started 10 months after the incident and his show had already aired.  Even then, it wasn’t Beck who spoke to investigators.  Instead, it was Mr. Beck’s attorney, learning that witnesses were being contacted, who reached out and contacted an Oregon State Police Trooper assisting with the Idaho investigation.  In fact, Mr. Beck has never personally spoken to the lead investigator of this case.   

Regarding his comments about being allowed to hunt in the other 36 states that are part of an Interstate Compact – Overman simply replied,  - "Mr. Beck’s statement is not factual."  Overman went on to explain that Beck will have to contact each individual state that is part of this interstate hunting compact to get his hunting rights back.

Hunters make mistakes, that is understood.  However, how a hunter handles mistakes dictates in large part how others view him as a person and sportsman.  Mr. Beck had to have known shortly after he shot his second deer he didn't have a tag for it.  Why he didn't do the right thing and contact Idaho Fish and Game about it right away I don't know.  Why he did the dumb thing and put the violation on television for the world to see is beyond me.  One thing Ido know though...The whole episode puts Beck's statements, and ethics as a hunter, in a questionable light at best.

John Kruse

Online bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2012, 08:32:36 PM »
NWoutdoors- great post, thanks for the followup. I just have to say:

2.  He is sorry he made this mistake.

:bs:

As I said before, he's only sorry that he got caught.

And I don't get why he continues to lie and say he didn't lose hunting rights in any other states.

Does he think if he keeps saying that over and over that it will somehow become true?

Offline NWoutdoors

• Site Sponsor
  • Pilgrim
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2012, 08:41:47 PM »
Bobcat -

I agree with you on both of your points and can't say it any better.

JK

Offline NWoutdoors

• Site Sponsor
  • Pilgrim
« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2012, 09:56:09 PM »
A clarification to my blog post I'd like to ad from Dave Overman:

Clarification
Overman went on to explain that Beck will have to contact each individual state that is part of this interstate hunting compact to get his hunting rights back.

"Mr. Beck should contact each of the compact signing States to verify his hunting priviledge status prior to purchasing a license in that State. Each individual member State will administer their own portion of the compact program" Would be a better statement.

Thanks Dave for clarifying that - 

JK

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: WFW, WSTA, WSB, WPHA, FWM, NRA, SCI, NAHC, IOGA, MOGA, BBB
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2012, 07:22:42 PM »
Thanks for your post RichL, I read your story. I think he has made some grave mistakes, anyone can make mistakes, but the way he handled the aftermath may come back to bite him.

Thanks John for following up on the comments by H-W members. Knowing what you learned from IDFG it sounds as if the guy may have been simply doing damage control in your interview. I hate to see anyone get in trouble but after he figured out that he didn't have the second tag, he should have contacted IDFG and turned himself in and if he would have incorporated that into his show about how he had made an honest mistake and did what is right, people would likely have understood.
http://trophymaps.com "Do-It-Yourself Maps"    http://bearpawoutfitters.com "Leases, Camps, Cabins, Hunts"    http://graywolfnews.com "Wolf News"
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups and quit losing opportunity.

Offline NWoutdoors

• Site Sponsor
  • Pilgrim
« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2012, 08:02:28 PM »
Bearpaw -

I think you hit the nail on the head with this one.  I think things would have gone easier with him both from a law enforcement point of view, and from a public perception point of view, if he would have contacted IDFG immediately instead of waiting until he was being actively investigated 10 months later.

Offline DBHAWTHORNE

• Board Moderator
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Washington For Wildlife
Bob Beck, host of "Extreme Outer Limits," busted for poaching in Idaho
« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2012, 08:20:18 PM »
Thank you for following up on this story. It does seem that things are as we suspected.
The views expressed here are solely those of the author in his private capacity and do not in any way represent the views of  the Department of Defense or any other entity of the US Government. The Department of Defense does not approve, endorse or authorize this posting.

Quick Links

* Random Photo New

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal