collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: .308 for elk hunting  (Read 13894 times)

Offline jaymark6655

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: .308 for elk hunting
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2012, 10:21:29 AM »
With the 1:10 it might be too fast to really stabilize the 165 gr round, but could try it.  It will probably shoot the 180 gr rounds better.
"That's the reason we pay $25 for a recoil lug made by a professional instead of one for $0.50 made by Micheal J Fox using a dremel!"

"Women should be treated the same as a French Rifle, dropped at the first sign of trouble."

Offline flinter

• Tracker
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2012, 11:07:19 AM »
In my younger years when I first started reloading I loaded 165gr. Sierra boat tails in my .308. I killed several elk and many deer with them. Every bullet that I recovered had separated core lead from copper jacket. Did the bullet kill the game, yes. Is there better bullets, yes again. I love Sierras for range work and varmints, but there are way better bullets available for big game especially elk. I would choose any of the premium bullets if I were you. 

Offline Tim in Wa.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2012, 02:23:33 PM »
I use Barnes 168 gr  TTSX

Offline deerslyr

• Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2012, 10:34:24 PM »
I have killed a few bulls with 140gr. Noslers, all went down with one shot but they were heart/lung shots. :twocents:

I'm not sure I've ever heard of 140 grain bullets in 30 caliber.   :dunno:

Barnes makes a .308 130 grain x bullet...my buddy loads them in his 300 weatherby for deer and antelope, they're vicious on game coming out of his sendero.

Offline yajsab

• Longhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2012, 10:11:21 PM »
No problem with 150 Barnes x

Offline C-Money

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
  • Self proclaimed 3pt master
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2012, 02:38:49 PM »
I would use a 165 accubond, second choice would be a 165 Partition! Great cartride the 308 is!
I felt like a one legged cat trying to bury a terd on a frozen pond!

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2012, 10:03:15 PM »
140 can kill anything.. but theres a time and place for it..thats like telling someone a 140 gr bullet out of a 30-30 will kill a elk at 300 yards

Offline supagoose

• Tracker
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2012, 11:44:48 PM »
so i was planning on using my .308 for my elk hunt this year and i was wondering if anyone has recommendations on bullet size. i was thinking of loading some 180 grains but wanted to see if that was to big? thanks

ive taken acouple bulls with my 308. all one shot kills i took one bull on cheap 150gr remington core lokt i dont recommend it cuz i found the core lokt to not retain its weight well and ive taken two with 180gr federal fusion. the fusion i found to be accurate in my gun and holds togther pretty well. im currently working on some 180 sst loads. like the other members stick to a good bullet, make the shot count, and youll be fine. your 308 will kill an elk just as dead as any other gun.

Offline dreamunelk

• Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2012, 05:57:43 AM »
I have used 165 grain spear grans slams with great success in the past.  Never needed a second shot on deer or elk.  I have now switched to Barnes bullets.  Don't elk hunt with a rifle anymore but, I would not think twice about hunting with a Barnes 150 to 168 TSX.  308 is a great round you just need to realize the limitations and take ethical shots.   Trick is to practice a lot and now where your bullet is going.

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2012, 06:05:37 AM »
fedral premium 165 tsx  :tup:

:yeah: I had a Mossberg .308 that shot very well with 150's. If I had that gun again I would use the 165 tsx's, Barnes are awesome and will go through any bone you point it at. Because there is no bullet weight loss, you would likely get more penetration with 165 barnes than with most any other brand of bullet in 180's.

Barnes makes a 180 so that may be an option too if you can find loaded ammo with them. If you are shooting Barnes I recommend breaking the shoulder and getting the vitals if possible.  :tup:
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline jaymark6655

• Sourdough
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2012, 06:39:36 AM »
so i was planning on using my .308 for my elk hunt this year and i was wondering if anyone has recommendations on bullet size. i was thinking of loading some 180 grains but wanted to see if that was to big? thanks

ive taken acouple bulls with my 308. all one shot kills i took one bull on cheap 150gr remington core lokt i dont recommend it cuz i found the core lokt to not retain its weight well and ive taken two with 180gr federal fusion. the fusion i found to be accurate in my gun and holds togther pretty well. im currently working on some 180 sst loads. like the other members stick to a good bullet, make the shot count, and youll be fine. your 308 will kill an elk just as dead as any other gun.

I started out using the 180 gr fusions.  Took some apart and found out the they seem to be a compressed load and that the load sometimes varies by 10 grains or more.  It was the round that I based my current reload of off.  Hornady 180 gr SST using Varget (will look up how many grains later).  Never measured it, but it should be going around 2600 at the muzzle and I get groups that I usually can't measure because they are so close together.  Lighter rounds have a higher MV, but the lose steam quickly.  The heavier rounds have better ballistic coeff. and usually keep enough energy at 500 yards for an elk (based on what some people say is the ethical amount of energy needed for elk).  With that fast of a twist "1:10" the heavier round should shoot better out of that rifle.
"That's the reason we pay $25 for a recoil lug made by a professional instead of one for $0.50 made by Micheal J Fox using a dremel!"

"Women should be treated the same as a French Rifle, dropped at the first sign of trouble."

Offline Krawdaddy20

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Pilgrim
  • Livin the dream!
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2012, 02:45:38 AM »
Its okay if your hunting the brush or have close distance shots, less than 300 yards. I hand load barnes tsx for elk in my 7mm. I will not load any other bullet for elk. I have shot 3 elk with the tsx and they have been flawless. I managed to recover two of the three bullets. Accuracy kills, but you don't want somebody else to come across your animal, elk are so tough they don't always know they're dead. I have never had an elk drop in its tracks. Last year I shot a 150 tsx, 64.5 grains of R22, cci mag primer, remington nickel cases. With a 308 I would used a 150 tsx, varget or 4064 powder. They are smaller cylinder powders and work better in the smaller cases. Good luck
Hunter Education instructor, Master Hunter Certified. Firearms Instructor, USA Wrestling Bronze level coach, BJJ Blue Belt, General Pain in the Behind. Living life to the fullest.

Offline 268bull

• Tracker
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2012, 07:39:09 PM »
Ackbizzle, I don't know where exactly your hunting, but I do believe that if it's western Washington, and your target is Roosevelt, then it's quite the same as what I hunt down here in west central Oregon. If you can see 75 yds. that's considered a long shot. The brush being as thick as the hair on my lab's back. I hunt exclusively with a Rem. 760 Gamemaster, .270. It's never let me down, so I would believe your .308 is plenty of rifle. Last year, I invested $42.99 on a box of Winchester, XP3, 150 grain, and it's worth every penny. Other's have given you good advice about hitting vitals ( lungs, heart ) and that's the key. When I opened my bull up last fall, his lungs were like coagulated jello. At 50 yds. he fell like he had been pole-axed. End of hunt! I also had a couple of boxes of grand slams ( no longer on the market ) 150 Gr. If you know your rifle well, and you can afford it , spending a few pennies more for your ammo is worth it. But then again, my first bull I shot was in 1978 ( first time I ever hunted elk ), and I used a standard blacktail load 130 Gr., $14.99 a box, around 70 yds., but I managed to ( luckily ) put it thru his heart. Those vital organ shot's are important, but your .308 is a very capable rifle. Good hunting to you!  :tup: Dale H.

Offline jaymark6655

• Sourdough
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2012, 09:28:22 PM »
Light bullets are cool and can get the job done, but I think the twist is too fast for them.  :twocents:

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2012, 09:55:04 PM »
fedral premium 165 tsx  :tup:

:yeah: I had a Mossberg .308 that shot very well with 150's. If I had that gun again I would use the 165 tsx's, Barnes are awesome and will go through any bone you point it at. Because there is no bullet weight loss, you would likely get more penetration with 165 barnes than with most any other brand of bullet in 180's.

Barnes makes a 180 so that may be an option too if you can find loaded ammo with them. If you are shooting Barnes I recommend breaking the shoulder and getting the vitals if possible.  :tup:

I just sold my Mossberg .308.  Good gun.  My uncle shot a .308 his entire hunting career.  Killed all his deer, elk and bear with it.
It will work fine, eventhough some of the younger generation only think it can be done with a .300 RUM or larger.  Unfortunatley many have the gun, but don't have the skill to use them at long range.
Cut em!
It's not the shells!  It's the shooter!

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal