collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Baiting blacktails  (Read 21263 times)

Offline blindpig

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Baiting blacktails
« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2012, 11:13:28 AM »
I'm wondering if the warden found a game camera, saw that a bear had been hitting his bait.  So if you put out bait for deer and have pics of a bear hitting the site you should probably stop baiting in that area.  Who knows

Offline bucksandbulls

• Tracker
  • is it tweeker season yet
« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2012, 03:03:18 PM »
i tried baiting blacktails one year . deer were hitting the wet cob and apples. then a bear moved in and ate everything i put out the same day i put it out. IMO bears will no doubt find what you put out eventually. I abandoned the site for the year.
is it tweeker season yet?

Offline DIYARCHERYJUNKIE

• Frontiersman
« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2012, 03:39:36 PM »
I will never leave my bear tag at home why would I buy one?!?!?  I don't have to alleviate anyones question of what I'm doing they'll know I'm hunting anything that's open.  I would never shoot a bear over a bait pile in wa.  That's illegal.  But leaving tags I paid money for at home yeah right .  What if I see one away from my deer bait.  On the way in or out.  It's not my job to alleviate suspicion by wdfw.  I don't get paid to make there job easy.  I pay lots of money to hunt and will excersise my rights in court on that deal.  They have no case if there are no unknown circumstances .  Hunting deer with all your tags in your pocket wow.  I hunt all species with all my tags in possession.  Bear and deer coincide in most gmu around the state.  I would win that one and I would represent myself.

Offline DIYARCHERYJUNKIE

• Frontiersman
« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2012, 03:47:52 PM »
We keep letting them misconstrue our actions and act like its our fault that they can't get the laws right so they are enforceable in a reasonable manner without violating our rights.  Give em an inch they take a mile.  The courts just hoping he pleas out and pays bukoo dara!!!

Offline JakeLand

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2012, 04:22:49 PM »
Hey H20 where those 2 videos were taken are completely logged off and alot of the surrounding area it will be alright in a few years

Offline AKBowman

• Sourdough
« Reply #50 on: April 21, 2012, 07:08:59 PM »
Get the does in early like now with salt. then this summer start using apples keep the does in and the bucks will come,be ready in october!

I like that plan. I've already got two mineral sites out now, not putting out apples this yr. I bought a modern tag and will be hunting with my bow so I can hunt the rut, i really do not want to attract bears to my area and I know that if you lay a bunch of apples on the ground in sept/oct you will have bears hitting them sooner or later and they won't leave once they find it. I'm just going to keep pounding the minerals in there until they turn off it in Aug/sept.
"All you can do is hunt” - Roy Roth

Offline Elkstuffer

• ALL THAT'S WILD TAXIDERMY
  • Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
    • Facebook.com/allthatswildtaxidermy
    • All That's Wild Taxidermy
  • Groups: WWSF, NWTF, RMEF, DU, SCI, MDF
« Reply #51 on: April 21, 2012, 10:17:18 PM »
Any tips for baiting for a hunt in late Nov. - early Dec? Apples, alfalfa, cob?
Serving Central Washington and the Northwest for all of your taxidermy needs since 1999.

ALL THAT'S WILD TAXIDERMY
960 Dilley Road
Tieton, WA 98947
(509)673-1579

"If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it."     Fred Bear

Offline marlin

• Scout
« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2012, 01:18:10 AM »
I will never leave my bear tag at home why would I buy one?!?!?  I don't have to alleviate anyones question of what I'm doing they'll know I'm hunting anything that's open.  I would never shoot a bear over a bait pile in wa.  That's illegal.  But leaving tags I paid money for at home yeah right .  What if I see one away from my deer bait.  On the way in or out.  It's not my job to alleviate suspicion by wdfw.  I don't get paid to make there job easy.  I pay lots of money to hunt and will excersise my rights in court on that deal.  They have no case if there are no unknown circumstances .  Hunting deer with all your tags in your pocket wow.  I hunt all species with all my tags in possession.  Bear and deer coincide in most gmu around the state.  I would win that one and I would represent myself.

:yeah: As soon as my tags are purchased they go in my wallet and live there until theyre expired.. Unfortunately I have wasted 2yrs worth of all kinds of tags. Didnt do any saltwater fishing last year either but I was licensed to do so.. I just like giving those *censored*s my money I guess..  :bash: This year is going to be the year LOL.. If not than next year definately will spell success because I will be back in my homeland of TEXAS. On my own property.

Offline DoubleJ

• YAR Nutcracker
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #53 on: April 22, 2012, 08:12:16 AM »

:yeah: As soon as my tags are purchased they go in my wallet and live there until theyre expired.. Unfortunately I have wasted 2yrs worth of all kinds of tags. Didnt do any saltwater fishing last year either but I was licensed to do so.. I just like giving those *censored*s my money I guess..  :bash: This year is going to be the year LOL.. If not than next year definately will spell success because I will be back in my homeland of TEXAS. On my own property.

You're lucky.  I'd make the trip to Texas every year to hunt there if I had access to land.  I hinted there when I lived in Houston and loved it.  No more access to private land though and, that's all Texas is anymore :(

Offline AKBowman

• Sourdough
« Reply #54 on: April 22, 2012, 09:39:35 AM »

That's late enough in the year when you can put fruit out and the bears aren't a factor anymore, generally speaking. It's hard to beat apples, I wouldn't mess with the alfalfa and cob just get as many apples or pears as you can, apples are way cheaper. I was amazed at the mount of apples trees I started finding around my place last ear on public property within city limits and no one picked them. I put out probably 300# in December and they would pound them every night. THEY meaning the does and very young bucks, the larger more mature bucks still avoided the bait but I did get a shot at one of them and I do believe it was because the bait kept the does around and the bucks were hanging around in the adjacent thick stuff.

Offline Elkstuffer

• ALL THAT'S WILD TAXIDERMY
  • Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
    • Facebook.com/allthatswildtaxidermy
    • All That's Wild Taxidermy
  • Groups: WWSF, NWTF, RMEF, DU, SCI, MDF
« Reply #55 on: April 22, 2012, 11:00:27 AM »
Nice! My property (home) is surrounded by apple and pear orchards :chuckle: Thanks for the tip.
Serving Central Washington and the Northwest for all of your taxidermy needs since 1999.

ALL THAT'S WILD TAXIDERMY
960 Dilley Road
Tieton, WA 98947
(509)673-1579

"If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it."     Fred Bear

Offline AKBowman

• Sourdough
« Reply #56 on: April 30, 2012, 03:16:15 PM »
Nice! My property (home) is surrounded by apple and pear orchards :chuckle: Thanks for the tip.

Well then sounds like you have a nice spot!!  :hunter:

Offline UrbanTrapper

• Life Member: NRA, SCI, DSC, NTA, WSTA, ITA, ATA
  • WA State Trappers Association
  • Scout
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, WWC, HHC, NTA, WSTA
« Reply #57 on: May 31, 2012, 07:07:48 AM »
The bait will keep the does around and they will attract the big bucks.  I see even big bucks out in June and July when their antlers are still in velvet.  To get the big bucks out later in the year use doe in estrus scent as the rut approaches.  I've seen this work wonders on BT.  Last year I used scent with a decoy on Muleys, as an experiment, in the thick stuff around Cle Elum during the rifle deer season and got my first trail cam pictures of legal bucks (three point on one side minimum) during rifle deer season (I only had a bow tag).  Of course, pics of the real monster were all only at night but I may have been able to see him before dark if I'd BEEN there with a rifle tag.  The rut makes even the big guys reckless.  My question is, How soon BEFORE the rut can scent make them reckless? -  but I guess that goes on another forum.

Offline Cascade_fisher

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Scout
« Reply #58 on: May 31, 2012, 05:43:33 PM »
Leave the bear tag at home if you are over bait.  Same thing with coyote hunting with a smaller than .24 (.223 for example) with a big game tag is a violation. Heard it first hand from a gamie.  BS to be sure but not worth the hassle or to lose Master Hunter status, etc...
American by birth, Southern by the grace of God

Offline brokenvet

• Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA, Marlin Owners, M14forum
« Reply #59 on: May 31, 2012, 07:59:38 PM »

Ok Trick Question. 

When you say apples What kind?  don't tell me it's Red delicious or golden.

You will have better luck with CRAB apple 
Semper FI

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!" -Adolf Hitler,1935"

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]