collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: notes from field  (Read 15428 times)

Offline Head-shot

• General Underachiever
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: notes from field
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2008, 06:37:05 AM »
what does porcupine taste like?
Kinda like tree sap. The one I ate tasted like hell just stuck on a stick over the fire. Was much better cooked in bacop grease in the morning... :chuckle:
Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or destroy it, piss on it and walk away!

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2008, 07:00:49 AM »
Kinda like tree sap. The one I ate tasted like hell just stuck on a stick over the fire. Was much better cooked in bacop grease in the morning... :chuckle:

I am guessing you mean "like tree sap smells"?
I caaant thock, my thuung ith thuck..lol

Offline KillBilly

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
  • I kill therefore I Am
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2008, 07:57:23 AM »

You tasted a tree roasted over a fire?   :chuckle:
Some people spend their entire life wondering if they made a difference. Marines don't have that problem.
He who shed blood with me shall forever be my brother.

Offline Head-shot

• General Underachiever
  • Sourdough
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2008, 08:51:38 AM »
Well I was gonna say kind of like Gin first, but everyone might have thought I was half in the bag and cooked up a gopher. :chuckle:

No, the fat on the thing ( what little there was) I think had a little of the Pine taste just cooked it over coals. I thought I would just "Mountain Man" it and cook with out any spices just heat and eat... :bdid: Once I added it to bacon grease it tasted like pork. Ha ha :dunno:
Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or destroy it, piss on it and walk away!

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2008, 02:05:23 PM »
I hope you killed that dang thing, I think it should be law, ALL PORKY PINES MUST DIE!!!!! 
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline Head-shot

• General Underachiever
  • Sourdough
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2008, 08:45:35 PM »
It was more of a curiosity thing, , you know "If I had to eat one how is it" deal. I wouldn't try making it regular table fare. I agree I usually pop them if I see them anyway. I heard that in some states F&G promotes shooting all you see.

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Explorer
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2008, 08:47:59 PM »
It was more of a curiosity thing, , you know "If I had to eat one how is it" deal. I wouldn't try making it regular table fare. I agree I usually pop them if I see them anyway. I heard that in some states F&G promotes shooting all you see.

I have heard differing opinions from outdoorsmen. Some say kill everyone and others say they are good survival food.

I hope you killed that dang thing, I think it should be law, ALL PORKY PINES MUST DIE!!!!! 

This one got lucky. We didn't want to fire a shot in this area.

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Explorer
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2008, 12:27:24 PM »
Haven't been out much, but we went out for mushrooms, yotes & bears probably in that order. Took a couple pics of the sunrise, tried to poke some holes in some yotes but I couldn't connect and then we picked a few pounds of Chanterelles. Not bad for a quick morning jaunt.

catwithboost

« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2008, 12:35:08 PM »
The spur just down the hill from where you guys were me and my brother were heading out and a little coyote went running down the bike trail almost running over it's self.  :chuckle: Besides the one deer that is all we seen.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 01:05:23 PM by catwithboost »

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Explorer
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2008, 07:43:53 PM »
The spur just down the hill from where you guys were me and my brother were heading out and a little coyote went running down the bike trail almost running over it's self.  :chuckle: Besides the one deer that is all we seen.

Should have cut him in half with that .300. :chuckle:

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Explorer
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2008, 05:32:02 PM »
The 3 day weekend was a mixture of rain and sun on the coast. Saw a few deer, a couple grouse (before season) and had the coyotes howling everynight. I saw 3 bears and Killbilly saw those plus 3 others, one he called in with no weapon around.  :yike: All bears were alone and none were cubs. I missed a small one on Saturday. Called one in that hung up and I never even knew it, but Killbilly saw it. Then in came a whopper bobcat, again just before season. :yike:

Here are a few pics.

The darn brushpickers drying out their rain gear. Can you believe the color? Someone could get killed dressed like that in a bear area.

Gotta love the coast.

It must be tough being a bear in some areas. They are still peeling trees. Normally this is only done in the spring, but we found a bunch that were done in the last week. Summer peels.

Mushrooms were popping up all over. We both got a bag full.

My favorite type of mushroom.

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Explorer
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2008, 01:51:45 PM »
Went out for a little local bear scouting this morning...well actually I went after mushrooms but took my rifle just in case. :chuckle:
Did not see any critters (one grouse but not grouse friendly weapon) but did have some of the best chanterelle picking I have had in a long time. Definitely enough to share. Some were getting dry but I bet after this coming weekends rain the mushrooms will be all over.
I did see alot of Chicken of the Woods this weekend in the Winston unit as well as some Oysters that were a few days past prime.

I saw a couple deer and a few elk and some bear damage in the Winston unit as well as a friendly porcupine.

Offline Rufous

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2008, 09:36:20 PM »
Does the Cascara tree have thorns? We have a tree over here in the Blues that looks similar but am not sure if it is Cascara. Ours over here does have thorns though. Thanks, Brian.

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Explorer
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2008, 06:10:03 AM »
No, no thorns. It is very similar to an Alder in looks. Matter of fact most people confuse the two even at close distances.

Offline Rufous

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2008, 09:22:28 PM »
Perhaps what we have down here is some type of Hawthorne? I do not know but I do know that the bears eat the heck out of them. My first real bear hunt was in 1996 on some private property here in the Blues with the son of the landowner. He took me up to a place on their property that they called "Bear Draw" because the bears congregated there to feed on the berries on these thorny trees. He shot a bear that ran out of the draw and its stomach was full of the berries. Brian.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 11:59:17 AM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]