collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Shooting grouse with a .22 rifle  (Read 35885 times)

Offline Shoffy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Re: Shooting grouse with a .22 rifle
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2012, 07:59:47 AM »
Don't you guys find it hard to shoot them on the fly with a .22?  Surely your not shooting them stationary on the ground... or in the tree like a turkey in the roost... or like a duck sitting on a pond?  :dunno:

I shoot them on the ground all the time with a shotgun. Mostly a 20Ga. I have never once ruined any breast meat from ground slucing a grouse. This September though, I'm gonna start bringing my ruger 10-22 and try head shots. I don't think I've ever flushed a grouse and wing shot it and I cant understand how people do :dunno: The country and brush where I grouse hunt is so thick it's impossible to swing the shotgun. I've walked and heard them flush, but never even saw them through the trees. After missing a few, I went back to the truck and back to hunting the roads  :) I don't think there is anything un-ethical with road hunting. You cover a lot of ground and drive some beautiful old mountain roads, sip your coffee, listen to some tunes or a game on the radio. It's good relaxing time for me

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2012, 08:27:17 AM »
Don't you guys find it hard to shoot them on the fly with a .22?  Surely your not shooting them stationary on the ground... or in the tree like a turkey in the roost... or like a duck sitting on a pond?  :dunno:

I wasn't aware you could shoot turkeys with rifles such as the .22lr or .17HMR?
Sure you can.  Now if you're asking if it's legal, that's another question. ;)

I think you know the point I was making Bob. ;)

Offline Shoffy

• Hunter
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2012, 08:38:24 AM »

It should be legal. A .22 or .17 cracked in the head of a turkey would be a pretty clean kill. It's not like you would shoot it in the body. You aim for the head/neck with a shot gun, why not with a rim fire?

Offline Stilly bay

• Sourdough
  • ELITIST WEST SIDE DITCH PARROT HUNTER
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2012, 01:56:55 PM »

It should be legal. A .22 or .17 cracked in the head of a turkey would be a pretty clean kill. It's not like you would shoot it in the body. You aim for the head/neck with a shot gun, why not with a rim fire?
probably not a good idea, some people would aim for the body. or some would aim for the head and be slightly off and blast the birds beak off, and not be able to recover it.  there is a reason why the accepted method to kill turkeys is with a tightly choked shot gun or an arrow with a big old broad head- their vitals are very small.
"Love the dogs before loving the hunt; love the hunt for the dogs." - Ben O. Williams

“It is easy to forget that in the main we die only seven times more slowly than our dogs.”
― Jim Harrison

Offline CP

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2012, 03:05:43 PM »

probably not a good idea, some people would aim for the body. or some would aim for the head and be slightly off and blast the birds beak off, and not be able to recover it.  there is a reason why the accepted method to kill turkeys is with a tightly choked shot gun or an arrow with a big old broad head- their vitals are very small.

You could make that same argument about shooting grouse with a rifle and yet it is legal and never questioned.

Offline Ducknut97

• Tracker
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2012, 03:27:42 PM »
22's are quieter, but you've got a lot better change with a shotgun :twocents:

Offline Stilly bay

• Sourdough
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2012, 03:39:31 PM »

You could make that same argument about shooting grouse with a rifle and yet it is legal and never questioned.
interesting point. maybe its because a grouse is so much smaller than a turkey and it really doesn't take much to put one down. knick a grouse with a high caliber bullet or even a 22 and they are usually subdued, while the turkey is a much tougher bird, that can survive more of hit or at least run or fly farther after taking a hit.
 :dunno:
another thing to think about is how many shootings there would be if you could hunt turkeys with high powered or long range weapons? there are enough already with close range weapons. blaze orange would be mandatory.
"Love the dogs before loving the hunt; love the hunt for the dogs." - Ben O. Williams

“It is easy to forget that in the main we die only seven times more slowly than our dogs.”
― Jim Harrison

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2012, 04:04:04 PM »
Rifles are legal in other states for turkeys.  A few guys I used to know in the south would use .222/.223/.22-250s for turkeys.  There wasn't any additional problems with safety.  A dangerous person is dangerous with anything you give them.

Offline CP

• Old Salt
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2012, 04:25:19 PM »
Rifles are legal in other states for turkeys.  A few guys I used to know in the south would use .222/.223/.22-250s for turkeys.  There wasn't any additional problems with safety.  A dangerous person is dangerous with anything you give them.

:yeah:
You can’t even shoot turkeys in this state with a shotgun and #2 shot.  What’s with that?  What idiot makes up these laws? 

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2012, 04:29:35 PM »

You can’t even shoot turkeys in this state with a shotgun and #2 shot.  What’s with that?  What idiot makes up these laws?
I think the restrictions may be more about fair chase than safety.  Shooting a turkey at 200 yards with a 22-250 may be safe, but that's not how turkey hunting should be conducted in the minds of many.  Call them in close, and make the kill.

As for shot size, all the turkey hunters I know aim for the head and neck, and out to 50 yards a quality #6 pellet will go completely through.  I don't see any value in using shot larger than #4, although I'm not sure why it is restricted.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline seth30

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • It's time to HUNT!
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2012, 04:54:06 PM »

I think the restrictions may be more about fair chase than safety.  Shooting a turkey at 200 yards with a 22-250 may be safe, but that's not how turkey hunting should be conducted in the minds of many.  Call them in close, and make the kill.

As for shot size, all the turkey hunters I know aim for the head and neck, and out to 50 yards a quality #6 pellet will go completely through.  I don't see any value in using shot larger than #4, although I'm not sure why it is restricted.
Im going off hersay on this but I hear you cant go past #4  due the chance of  a person accidently being shot will survive.  Once again before I get bashed and slammed its what I was told by a turkey hunter.
Rather be dead than cool.
Kurt Cobain

Offline Stilly bay

• Sourdough
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2012, 05:03:11 PM »
that makes sense to me. or maybe with #4 or larger you have less pellets in your pattern? once you get up to size #2 or larger taking a shot 40+ yards would open up all kinds of holes in your pattern, you would still hit the turkey but there would be far fewer pellets puncturing the vitals ?

― Jim Harrison

Offline CP

• Old Salt
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2012, 05:42:08 PM »
I’ve killed many a turkey with #2s and still own most of a case of  12g 3” #2 Remington Nitro Mags (Good old lead – like God intended shot to be made of).  I can’t use them for anything in this state (grouse and East side pheasant I guess).  I’ll take them back to Texas next time I go and put them to better use there.

Offline Dhoey07

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
    • No Facebook for this guy
« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2012, 07:21:48 AM »

#2 or #3 would make sense if shooting steel, that's about it.

On another note.  I shot a grouse last year with my .22 pistol, twice and she just stood there.  Kinda crazy, i expected her to start doing the funky chicken, but nope.  So i had my dad shoot her with the shotty before she flew away. 

Offline deerhunter_98520

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Old Salt
  • Chief Executive Head Anarchist of YKWTSASFFRO
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2012, 01:12:08 PM »
This one was just over 50yds....ive only shot them with my 10/22 till i got my buckmark

Official hunt-wa bigfoot field researcher!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]