collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Joe Watt Canyon  (Read 26104 times)

Offline runamuk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
Re: Joe Watt Canyon
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2012, 09:40:23 PM »
Does anyone have any photos of them picking up the sheds?  That might be the first step unfortunately its too late this season but might keep it in mind for next to start trying to document with pics so there is some sort of evidence that backs up the complaint.....

Offline Pinetar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2012, 09:46:46 PM »
I couldn't agree more Huntbear, believe me we've been working on it.

Runamuk, as stated before pictures and video are tough to get, when the Elk start to drop they move the entire feeding process clear to the back of the feedlot where you can't watch them. All winter they feed out front for everyone to enjoy then come March the program changes.

Offline Huntbear

• I am a BAD Kitteh
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • Y.A.R. Jester aka Smart Ass
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1236486665
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2012, 09:49:06 PM »
I couldn't agree more Huntbear, believe me we've been working on it.

Runamuk, as stated before pictures and video are tough to get, when the Elk start to drop they move the entire feeding process clear to the back of the feedlot where you can't watch them. All winter they feed out front for everyone to enjoy then come March the program changes.

there are enough photo guys on here.. surely someone has a very LONG lens...  I would walk right up that fence line, till I could see over where they are feeding on the other side of the creek..  set up with the camera on a tri pod.. let em see ya.....  start snapping pics as soon as they are near the elk.. do not stop until they are done...
By my honorable conduct as a hunter let me give a good example and teach new hunters principles of honor, so that each new generation can show respect for their god, other hunters and the animals, and enjoy the dignity of the hunt.

Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'.

Offline Huntbear

• I am a BAD Kitteh
  • Old Salt
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2012, 09:50:43 PM »
I would be more than willing to volunteer some time whenever I can get over there next year.. I made 4 trips this year..
By my honorable conduct as a hunter let me give a good example and teach new hunters principles of honor, so that each new generation can show respect for their god, other hunters and the animals, and enjoy the dignity of the hunt.

Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'.

Offline danderson

• Hunter Education Instructor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
    • elkhornarchers
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2012, 10:01:55 PM »
I called the game manager at Joe Watt a few years ago about our local Boy Scout troop possibly getting to help with the feeding program as a community service project, free labor. apparently they didn't want any help because we were told that we couldn't help, I have heard the rumors about boy scouts getting in there first but dint believe it. It only makes sense that antlers must drop in the feeding area before the May 1st opener like Oak creek and they get picked up by the folks that are feeding, what happens to the antlers after that is a mystery.

Offline Huntbear

• I am a BAD Kitteh
  • Old Salt
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2012, 10:05:17 PM »
No mystery... I am sure those feed crews have very nice collections, or they sell them to a horn buyer.... make themselves a nice nest egg...

Offline Pinetar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2012, 10:09:37 PM »
Might work Huntbear. And they have never sold them and YES it is quite a collection.

Here's my story: We watched a bull drop in Joe Watt one morning, half an hour later the feeders showed up. They sat in the truck for 1/2 an hour and video the Elk and looked at them through their binos. Once they spotted the shed they started feeding towards the shed, got right up to the shed turned the truck sideways and blocked my view and pic taking. One of them got out of the truck, elk moved off, not far, screwed around for a couple minutes outside the truck then got back in and started feeding. Once they got up the hill aways the shed was gone. We waited three days to give them a chance to turn it in, then called GW. He sounded upset and said he would check into it for us. Two days later he called me back and said "I talked to the manager and they haven't picked any sheds up this year, but you are not the first one who has had stories like this so I'm going to keep an eye on them" Never heard another thing about it.

danderson-The mystery is that the a lot of them are in the loft of a barn on the northeast side of our valley. I wish they would let the BSA in to pick the antlers, better them than the WSGD employees that we are paying.

Offline luvtohnt

• Sourdough
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2012, 10:19:04 PM »
I happen to know both of the individuals that feed at Watt. Anything they pick up is to prevent damage to the truck. As far as sitting there and looking at the elk they have to perform daily counts in order to determine the correct amount to feed the next day. Anything that they do pick up has to be tagged and is sitting at the office in Ellensburg. The BSA going in early is a nasty perpetual rumor and nothing more. So far this year me and some acquaintances have had good luck. We got 8 on Tuesday, and 5 more tonight. A friend of a friend found 14 on Tuesday, and a close friend found 5 on Wednesday. It is all a matter of luck when it comes to finding sheds in Watt! It seems the elk use different routes every year, they are defiantly impossible to pattern when leaving the feed station.

Brandon

Offline Pinetar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2012, 10:23:04 PM »
Brandon- Aren't you one of the feeders or were you one at one time?

Offline danderson

• Hunter Education Instructor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
    • elkhornarchers
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2012, 10:44:24 PM »
   I know in the past that any antlers that the state picked up weather off road kills or confiscated racks from  poaching etc,  they were stored somewere locally supposabaly to be auctioned off later, heard it from reliable sources they dont want to store the dang things, and  they take up valuable space, it would make sence to give the sheds away to a worthy organization like the boy scouts or another worthy group, instead of just denied that there is a problem, and having the apperance of cronyism.

Offline lewy

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • IBEW RMEF WSTA WCO NRA
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2012, 11:15:25 PM »
A buddy and I did oak creek may 1st and found numerous boot tracks in the dried mud of the game trails on the hill just above the feild they feed in, obviously from prior to the opener. I would seriously doubt someone would be brave enough to sneek in and tromp around right there........ :dunno: no doubt this kind of stuff is going on
Go hawks

Offline hunterofelk

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2012, 06:57:59 AM »
I can understand the need to pick up antlers that are visible from the fence.  If they don't someone will climb over and pick them up.  I think the manager should drive up the canyon and toss the antlers off into the brush.  I see all the anticipation and excitement of the people when we are waiting for the gate to open.  You'd think the government officials would want the public interested in our public lands.  An activity other than driving around the roads might keep people coming back and help keep their jobs. 

Offline crazyantler

• Hunter
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2012, 07:45:01 AM »
Another piece of the puzzle that causes this whole problem is the fact your dealing with a bureaucracy that is full of people tyring to cover their backside and will say and do anything to avoid hypocrisy and a blimish in the public eye. 
If they wanted to possibly mitigate this whole issue they could do a FOOT access only opener on the 15th of April and then open the gates on the 1st.  I believe this would help gradually move the elk around without the impact of all the motorized vehicles running the Elk silly as I have seen the past several years.  Plus it would eliminate half of the people that are not willing to walk.

Offline Pinetar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2012, 06:11:49 PM »
Not a bad idea crazyantler. I to have wondered about the mad May 1st crash into the lots. The poor Elk have to be thinking WTH is going on. It has got to seem like it is rifle season all over again for the Elk.

Offline luvtohnt

• Sourdough
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2012, 07:38:48 PM »
While my name is similar to one of the guys that fed the elk it is not me. Sorry!

Brandon

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand