collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Lion shed  (Read 17183 times)

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
Re: Lion shed
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2012, 11:33:18 AM »
I was thinking it may have been an item of clothing shed from a cougar found at the corner bar!  :chuckle:
I did see the pic when it was up and it was excellent! Looked to be in fine shape too! Don't see that often! Let us know what dfw says!

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2012, 12:18:25 PM »
I don't recall anything in the reg's that say its illegal to keep cougar or bear skulls.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline Fishnfowler

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2012, 01:26:38 PM »
I searched the site and there is a reference to not being able to keep wildlife parts not legally taken.  This is in the same area as skulls with antlers attached. 

I honestly never even gave it a second thought when I found it.  I'm still waiting on a reply from F&W.  Other Western states that I've lived in have let me keep skulls, even those with antlers as long as I cleared it with F&W first and got a possession tag. 

I'll post their decision when I get it, and if favorable post the pics again.

Offline smdave

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
    • My Photobooth
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2012, 01:33:19 PM »
I don't recall anything in the reg's that say its illegal to keep cougar or bear skulls.

"You may not possess wildlife that you did not legally harvest, and only naturally shed antlers can be collected."

The wording is not specific to any animal species.

You cannot possess wildlife or parts thereof, that you did not legally harvest, unless the person who legally harvested the animal provides you with a written statement showing their name, address, license, permit, or tag number, the number and kind of animal provided, the date killed, county and area it was taken in, your name, the date of the gift/transfer, and the hunter’s signature--see WAC 232-12-077. Also, you cannot tag a big game animal or wild turkey that another person has killed--see WAC 232-12-062.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 01:42:42 PM by smdave »
When I pass, do not let my wife sell the guns for what I told her they cost.

Offline Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2012, 02:56:14 PM »
Interesting.  I wouldn't have thought about this either.  I would have assumed that bear/cougar skulls would be OK.  The regulation only seems to be concerned with ungulates.
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.  That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2012, 03:19:37 PM »
So put last years tag on it then!!
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline PlateauNDN

• Y.A.R. Medicine Man
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
  • R.I.P. Colockumelk 20130423. Semper Fi!
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2012, 03:42:02 PM »
I propose you tell me where it's at and I'll go get it and claim it as my own.  Then by chance since I don't plan on doing anything with my new found cougar skull I'll gift it to you and you can do whatever you want with it. :chuckle:  As long as it's on the eastside and in any 300gmu, won't be a problem. :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:
If you can read thank a teacher, If you can read in English thank a Marine! 
Not as Lean, Just as Mean, Still a Marine!
He who shed blood with me shall forever be my brother!

"Around this camp, there's only one Chief; the rest are Indians!"

"Give me 15 more minutes, I was dreaming of Beavers!"

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2012, 03:51:15 PM »
The posession statement is something they can and will get you on. I've given eggs to folks while combat fishing rivers for pinks. I would keep a scrap of paper and write my name and info and that I am giving eggs from my fish caught here on this date and so forth. I've seen people get tickets for "over harvesting" based on the number of skeins (sp?) in their posession.

Offline DBHAWTHORNE

• Frontiersman
  • Groups: Washington For Wildlife
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2012, 08:02:16 PM »

"You may not possess wildlife that you did not legally harvest, and only naturally shed antlers can be collected."

You cannot possess wildlife or parts thereof, that you did not legally harvest, unless the person who legally harvested the animal provides you with a written statement showing their name, address, license, permit, or tag number, the number and kind of animal provided, the date killed, county and area it was taken in, your name, the date of the gift/transfer, and the hunter’s signature--see WAC 232-12-077. Also, you cannot tag a big game animal or wild turkey that another person has killed--see WAC 232-12-062.

Wow... what a stupid law.
The views expressed here are solely those of the author in his private capacity and do not in any way represent the views of  the Department of Defense or any other entity of the US Government. The Department of Defense does not approve, endorse or authorize this posting.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2012, 09:14:44 PM »
 :yeah: the law of un intended consequences. the state makes a law to address one problem (poaching so you can have deer skulls) but it overlaps into many other areas.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline DIYARCHERYJUNKIE

• Frontiersman
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2012, 10:29:59 PM »
Dead heads are b and c recognized. 

Offline DBHAWTHORNE

• Frontiersman
  • Groups: Washington For Wildlife
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2012, 10:56:06 PM »
:yeah: the law of un intended consequences. the state makes a law to address one problem (poaching so you can have deer skulls) but it overlaps into many other areas.

No kidding... according to this law most hunters I know would be considered criminals.
The views expressed here are solely those of the author in his private capacity and do not in any way represent the views of  the Department of Defense or any other entity of the US Government. The Department of Defense does not approve, endorse or authorize this posting.

Offline Arteman

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
  • General of the Mongolian Bigfoot Militia
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001803366476
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2012, 01:15:59 AM »
I propose you tell me where it's at and I'll go get it and claim it as my own.  Then by chance since I don't plan on doing anything with my new found cougar skull I'll gift it to you and you can do whatever you want with it. :chuckle:  As long as it's on the eastside and in any 300gmu, won't be a problem. :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:
I'll have to hold you to this Plat  :chuckle: ill even give you gps coordinates, or stand there and point at it for ya if the situation arises.  :tup:
When you see the third, thin the herd.
Right now I'm somewhere picking up sheds.

Offline Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2012, 09:48:22 AM »

Wow... what a stupid law.

I agree.  And in most states picking up dead heads is legal.  I think the intent of the law is to keep *censored*s from shooting a big buck or bull out of season or without a tag, letting it lay, then coming back in the spring and retrieving the antlers.  Either that, or catching someone hiking out with a chopped off head who claims "I didn't shoot this, someone else did.  I was just taking the horns so they wouldn't go to waste"... :dunno:
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.  That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Offline mfswallace

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2012, 10:36:13 AM »

So your saying they won't believe me when I tell them I found this piece of bone in the woods and I didn't do anything illegal... :bash: :bash:

Thanks to all the knucklehead scumbags who make these laws necessary, if not exactly to the letter!!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by dilleytech
[Today at 08:16:45 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]