collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Alpine lake access?  (Read 3595 times)

Offline Martinhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • Whack em and stack em!!
Alpine lake access?
« on: May 21, 2012, 01:19:55 AM »
Just wondering if anyone has made it up above 3500 ft yet this year without having to use 4 wheel drive? I was wanting to take my boys up to our favorite lake this weekend but would hate to drive all that ways and still be snowed in. I'm guessing were probobly good to go. What do you think?
To God alone be the Glory!!

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
Re: Alpine lake access?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 05:30:03 AM »
It all depends on what direction the terrain faces. The south facing will ofcoarse melt faster. Alot of times the forest alongside the road is snowless but the road has alot of snow on it due to the fact it gets more. Also eastern vs western wa, eastern thaws faster but 3500 ft might be pressing it this early
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline whitey

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • thank a soldier
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 07:10:55 AM »
Man there is still a bunch of snow up there. Running up Lake Chelan this past weekend, We couldnt believe the amount of snow still up there.
Skyval... Looking up the mountain towards Deer/Grouse Camp man there is still a bunch way up there. Every drainage coming into Lake Chelan was running full steam ahead. What a nice boat ride we had

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 09:57:30 PM »
We were to about 3500' in the Teanaway a couple weeks ago and saw little to no snow. This was in sparse timber.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 10:08:37 PM »
Mt rainier copper creek rd.  Made it to 3500+ and snow was instant and deep.  2ft.  NE republic area snow melted above 4000.
MAGA!  Again..

Offline Martinhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 01:14:51 AM »
Ya I'm talking up in gifford pinchot area kind of up above packwood. I dont know what to do i would hate to take the boys all the way up there and the last mile before the lake be snowed in, wich is what happened last year.

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 09:15:52 AM »
If your thinking Walupt or goat lake etc. you better wait.  Snow is still pretty bad up higher.  I also read somwthing about a washout and having to detour thru tower rock to get back around to cispus.  Dunno, havent tried to get up yet, snow probably.
MAGA!  Again..

Offline Martinhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 01:12:58 AM »
If your thinking Walupt or goat lake etc. you better wait.  Snow is still pretty bad up higher.  I also read somwthing about a washout and having to detour thru tower rock to get back around to cispus.  Dunno, havent tried to get up yet, snow probably.
Thanks mudman ya I think i'll wait a couple more weeks.

Offline Dslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 04:30:07 AM »
As a guy who watches the snowmelt closely because mtn. lake fishing/stocking is what my son and I do-in general snowmelt is substantially ahead of last year, but there is a lot of snow up high and in a lot of lower elevations w/little or no exposure.  The farther east you go, less snow which is no surprise.  I expect to make it to Manashtash Lake next weekend using the 1701 Rd, for example.  We should be able to drive close enough to make it a 3-4 walk-depends on a couple of spots were snow banks on the road don't melt out.  I check out the Snotel sites a lot which can give you a fairly good idea of how snowmelt is progressing in a given spot.  It was coming off about a foot a week or better until it really cooled off a week ago and some of the higher elevations got snow.  I figure it will be near the end of June before I get into some of my favorite spots and even then I will be climbing over some snow which is pretty typical for the early season.  Curious which lakes you were trying to get to near Packwood-I'm pretty familiar with the mtn. lakes in the area.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2012, 05:16:10 AM »
As a member of Hi Lakers and Trailblazers groupo we dont expect to stock/survey many of the High lakes until late this year. The past 2 years the snow pack has really affected this effort.
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline Dslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2012, 06:25:05 AM »
Last year's snow melt, or lack thereof, was a PIA for sure.  I think this is going to be close to normal this year, at least in my area-Region 3 more or less-but there's a lot of snow 5500 and higher still-and more closer to the crest.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]