collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Elk Shape  (Read 33649 times)

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
Re: Elk Shape
« Reply #60 on: May 20, 2015, 06:21:42 PM »
I think a lot of guys go a little crazy on the whole hunter athlete thing.  Cam Hanes type guys are animals but don't think you need to go to that extreme.  In the long run, your body will fail.  Your joints DO have a shelf life!  I was a hardcore runner and lifter for years, but due to that combined with a VERY physical job, my knees, shoulders, and back are having issues at the ripe old age of 32.  I don't run anymore.  AT ALL!!!!  Now I just go for walks with my pack, turkey hunt, coyote hunt, and of course fall seasons. Nothing trains your legs and lungs for hunting like actually hiking and hunting.   I don't do much as far as upper body workouts anymore except for core and back.  Big chest and arms look good but on the mountain, they are just muscles robbing vital calories from the rest of your body.  Legs twice a week, stretching every day.

Don't dump crap into your body like sugar, pre workout, cheap suppliments, etc.  Gram of protein per pound of body weight, LOTS of veggies, and you don't have to control portions at all, just shovel it in and stay active.  Limit your dairy and designate a cheat day or meal once a week and the weight will fall off.  Your metabolism will burn more calories than a workout ever will so kick start it by eating healthy and eating OFTEN, will do you more good for fat loss then walking on a tread mill for 15 min.  I may not look like a monster but I will hike farther, pack more, and come back for seconds over 98% of the guys out there.  In the end, heart, grit, and determination will carry you farther than anything.  Knee surgery in a month could slow me down a bit though :chuckle:  Good luck you guys on meeting your goals for the season!
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline cbond3318

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #61 on: May 20, 2015, 06:40:28 PM »
We are trying this time to first get healthy eating habits in line and include 30 mins of cardio a day. I gave running for a mountain bike last year but can't get pass the literal pain in the butt riding the dang thing. This time around hiking will be my filler.
Just tend your own and live.

Offline cbond3318

• Frontiersman
« Reply #62 on: May 20, 2015, 06:43:01 PM »
And Elk shape is a bonus, I'm actually trying for "busy 2 year old son" shape! :chuckle:

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Explorer
« Reply #63 on: May 20, 2015, 07:09:23 PM »
And Elk shape is a bonus, I'm actually trying for "busy 2 year old son" shape! :chuckle:
Hahaha!  Ya I hate to tell you but there is no such thing!  I literally just got done laying on the living room floor and sword fighting my 3 year old while I ice my knee :chuckle:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875

Offline cbond3318

• Frontiersman
« Reply #64 on: May 20, 2015, 07:22:15 PM »
Hahaha!  Ya I hate to tell you but there is no such thing!  I literally just got done laying on the living room floor and sword fighting my 3 year old while I ice my knee :chuckle:

Now that's funny! We had an epic coat hanger sword fight earlier and I got my butt handed to me cause my arms are like jello from today's session! :chuckle:
Out 7 month old is not far behind either!

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Explorer
« Reply #65 on: May 20, 2015, 07:43:09 PM »

Now that's funny! We had an epic coat hanger sword fight earlier and I got my butt handed to me cause my arms are like jello from today's session! :chuckle:
Out 7 month old is not far behind either!
Nice!  :chuckle:

Offline IBspoiled

• Longhunter
« Reply #66 on: May 21, 2015, 09:40:33 AM »
Hey guys and some gals, I have some great info for you for getting weight down, which will make getting in shape a lot easier.  I, like most of you have struggled with weight as I get older.  Plus being female and having kids doesn't make losing any easier (this is IB's wife by the way) For the past 3 years I have been trying to lose 30lbs and get in hunting shape to keep up with Tim as he runs up and down mountains with me in tow.  I have done P90X and Shakeology and I have done clean eating and I have done only meat, vegy's and some fruit.  I lost about 20lbs this way and was working out 6 days a week, what a drag, it took everything I had to continue.  But when it got to the final 10lbs, there just seemed to be nothing I could do to lose the weight.  Enter Trim Healthy Mama (a book you can purchase online)  This totally changed my way of looking at food.  I started this plan the end of May 2014 and by August I was at my goal weight and wasn't even working out, other than hiking and barrel racing.  I felt fabulous and was tickled at all the yummy food I was eating.  Tim lost over 30lbs and didn't even stick with the plan 100%, it just works.  If you have cellulite on your body, it just disappears along with those muffin tops.  It was like getting a makeover and not having to pay all this money out for special products and shakes.  Just follow the plan and you will see huge results.  Once weight is down, you will feel better and more like getting out in the woods.  So I will describe the basics of the plan and if you all have other questions, ask.  But really getting the book and reading through it to understand the plan is the best way.  There are many facebook groups as well, just type in Trim Healthy Mama.  And yes, most wives whose husbands are on the plan have changed the name to Trim healthy Man! 
So the plan is basically this, Start every meal with protein then decide if you want to ad carbs or fat, it's basically that easy.
E (energizing meal) = up to 5 fat grams and should include 20-45 net grams of plan-approved carbs.
S (satisfying meal) = up to 10 net carbs* and more than 5 fat grams.
FP (fuel pull meal) = up to 5 grams fats & up to 10 net carbs*

Basically when we eat fat and carbs together it spikes our blood sugar.  To counter this our body produces insulin to reduce the blood sugar.  The only way to store all the insulin we have produced is for the body to store it in a fat cell.  Therefore we are creating fat every time we raise our blood sugar if we are not using that spike at that moment.  So by eating this way, we do not spike our blood sugar and therefore do not create more fat cells and also our body starts using what it has stored and that is why you will see your body transform before you eyes.  I really do recommend the book to get a complete understanding of how this all works, but it has sure worked for us and is so easy to follow.  Did I mention I eat cheesecake for breakfast or lunch or dinner?  How about bacon and eggs?  Chocolate muffins?  Simple and easy.  Hope I encouraged some of you and didn't overwhelm your man brains.   :yike:

Offline nw_bowhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #67 on: May 21, 2015, 12:39:54 PM »
I started about two weeks ago!  I did P90X last year for multiple rounds was in great shape even though I had more weight to lose. I slacked off after last years hunting season so now I'll have to work harder than before! Really not to happy with myself.  P90X is great but I felt it was very hard on the joints. Since starting to hike, mountain bike and workout noticing issues with my knees. Hopefully just added weight causing issues and nothing serious. I''ll be 42 this June but have have a lot of heart and determination so I'll be ready...

Offline wsucowboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF
« Reply #68 on: May 23, 2015, 08:31:05 PM »
I've been lifting weights for the past year or so with some cardio mixed in afterwards. Usually 60-90 minutes of weights followed up by a few miles on the treadmill. Been trying to eat healthier by pre making my lunches for work and getting the right supplements. I'm about 245 now and a year ago I was 310. Hoping to be done in the 210-220 range for archery season.
"A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."
-Alan Ladd
"Courage is fear that has said its prayers."
-Karl Barth

Offline snarkybull

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #69 on: May 24, 2015, 11:30:05 PM »
been exercising (i.e. running).  it's all about that action, boss.
How long til elk season?!??

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #70 on: May 25, 2015, 07:00:09 AM »
I know, I know this is crossfit and some will make fun but I like completing "murph" every few weeks to see how my fitness has improved. If you can complete this, you are in elk shape  :tup:

For time:
1 mile Run
100 Pull-ups
200 Push-ups
300 Squats
1 mile Run
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline Elknut1

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #71 on: May 25, 2015, 07:16:35 AM »
   vandeman17, how much time is reasonable for a guy to complete those exercises & running? Not trying to break any records here but curious what's reasonable! Thanks!

ElkNut1

Offline salmonchaser

• Tracker
« Reply #72 on: May 25, 2015, 07:56:43 AM »
Vandeman 17
Your old man and I were thinking about you and your workout a lot packing my bull out. Where the Hell is that kid we kept saying. Having hunted some of the nastiest ground Oregon has to offer for 47 years, I would offer your workout is spot on.
You'll be ready this fall, good luck.

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Explorer
« Reply #73 on: May 25, 2015, 08:14:24 AM »
I know, I know this is crossfit and some will make fun but I like completing "murph" every few weeks to see how my fitness has improved. If you can complete this, you are in elk shape  :tup:

For time:
1 mile Run
100 Pull-ups
200 Push-ups
300 Squats
1 mile Run

Real pull ups or fake cross fit pull ups? :chuckle: :sry: :peep:

Offline DIYARCHERYJUNKIE

• Frontiersman
« Reply #74 on: May 25, 2015, 08:17:01 AM »
swing ups.  :chuckle:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal