collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Elk Shape  (Read 33648 times)

Offline zackmioli

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: Elk Shape
« Reply #90 on: May 26, 2015, 12:10:21 PM »
I'll try that murph workout in the next week or so and post my time.

If you are short on time but want to get a workout in, grab a kettlebell that works for you, I use a 35 or 45lber and set a timer for 15 minutes. Do as many sets as you can of: 10 swings, 10 squat thrusters, and 10 wide legged squats (hold kettlebell between your legs, squat til it's as close to the floor as possible and stand back up). See how many sets you can do then try to beat it the next week. Good all around workout that will get you sweating.  :tup:

Offline DIYARCHERYJUNKIE

• Frontiersman
« Reply #91 on: May 26, 2015, 01:25:29 PM »
Jumprope.

Burns more calories than running.  You'd have to run 8 mph for an hour to burn as many calories as jumping rope for an hour. 10- 20 calories per minute of jumprope.  In one hour you can burn over 1200 calories if you are jumping fast.

Offline stromdiddily

• Scout
« Reply #92 on: May 27, 2015, 10:16:51 AM »
Jumprope.

Burns more calories than running.  You'd have to run 8 mph for an hour to burn as many calories as jumping rope for an hour. 10- 20 calories per minute of jumprope.  In one hour you can burn over 1200 calories if you are jumping fast.

Jumping rope is brutal. If you feel like adding a little extra, try it on grass or on grass in cleats. Tons of fun, I promise...
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake

Genius and Insanity are neighbors, and they often share sugar.

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #93 on: May 27, 2015, 10:46:38 AM »
If you can complete this, you are in elk shape  :tup:

For time:
1 mile Run
100 Pull-ups
200 Push-ups
300 Squats
1 mile Run

We still get to hunt with a gun right ? Or do we gotta wrestlem to the ground ?

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #94 on: May 27, 2015, 11:12:25 AM »
If you can complete this, you are in elk shape  :tup:

For time:
1 mile Run
100 Pull-ups
200 Push-ups
300 Squats
1 mile Run

We still get to hunt with a gun right ? Or do we gotta wrestlem to the ground ?

Whatever tickles your fancy. Its nice to have options right?  :chuckle:
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #95 on: May 27, 2015, 11:29:03 AM »
I recall reading a story about an 84 year old man in recent years who kills an elk every year.  Wonder if he could do these workouts.

I know some dang good elk hunters who battle chronic injury who are more successful than most "mountain goats"   ;)
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #96 on: May 27, 2015, 02:06:24 PM »
One minute cycles of wall squats and planks...see how long you can go before everything is jello....

Besides that nothing builds elk shape like elk country. I know a couple guides in Montana. They don't work out, lift weights or supplement. But they would put the best elite athletes to shame in elk country. I'm in good shape but its sea level shape. Huge difference, no matter what I do at sea level it really doesn't prepare you for 5-6000ft. When I lived in EBurg I noticed it was easier to stay in elk shape just being active. Not so much at sea level.

Offline cbond3318

• Frontiersman
« Reply #97 on: May 27, 2015, 02:36:57 PM »
Hell I'm darn close to being in Elk Shape... :IBCOOL:
Just tend your own and live.

Offline WA hunter14

• Longhunter
« Reply #98 on: May 27, 2015, 02:46:55 PM »
One minute cycles of wall squats and planks...see how long you can go before everything is jello....

Besides that nothing builds elk shape like elk country. I know a couple guides in Montana. They don't work out, lift weights or supplement. But they would put the best elite athletes to shame in elk country. I'm in good shape but its sea level shape. Huge difference, no matter what I do at sea level it really doesn't prepare you for 5-6000ft. When I lived in EBurg I noticed it was easier to stay in elk shape just being active. Not so much at sea level.

a few years ago i was in cheyenee WY wich has a elevation of 6000 and i thought id go on a run... holy crap it was such a difference!!

Offline SemperFidelis97

• Sourdough
« Reply #99 on: May 27, 2015, 07:09:10 PM »
I just did the Murph with no weights on the run I used my Olympic 45# bar for the squats which kicked my ass.  My time was 43 minutes my wife laughed at me, and said she has a female crossfit friend who did in in 40 with a 30lb vest :yike:.  Great work out, I know now that I need to focus more on my legs.  We should start a workout thread, Eastmans has one to keep guys motivated they check in everyday with whatever they are working on it seems to have gotten allot of guys back into the gym.

Offline dr.derek

• Heart shot hunter
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #100 on: May 27, 2015, 07:16:35 PM »
havent worked out in a long time. I have a physically demanding job but yesterday I did the murph and finished in about 1.20 wow what a workout, my last 50 pull ups were pathetic haha
bucks ducks trucks  . . . and bulls.

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #101 on: May 27, 2015, 07:30:58 PM »
google.....

"The SEALFit standard for Murph is 75-minutes. If you break Murph down into component parts, most people can run two ten-minute miles without exhausting themselves, leaving 55 minutes for the rest of the work. A common way to perform the workout is to do 20 sets of 5 pull ups, 10 push ups, and 15 squats. If you did a round of that every two minutes, you’d actually wind up with a sixty-minute Murph."

3-Week Training Program to Crack Murph
http://breakingmuscle.com/functional-fitness/a-3-week-workout-plan-to-crush-murph

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #102 on: May 28, 2015, 05:16:30 AM »
I think it's awesome that you guys are trying out murph. I hadn't done it in a while and did it again in well under an hour so I was pretty stoked. Won't say how much under the hour though but think about who cano was named after and you will know... :dunno:
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #103 on: May 28, 2015, 06:13:09 AM »
I'm having a really hard time picturing myself doing 100 pull-ups. 
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Miles

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #104 on: May 28, 2015, 06:20:55 AM »
One a day.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal