collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Vancouver Area Ducks  (Read 1845 times)

Offline SilkWWU

• Feet Dragger
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Vancouver Area Ducks
« on: August 06, 2008, 04:49:57 PM »
Anyone have any suggestions to duck behavior while in the Vancouver area?  I know that I had a lot of success staying AWAY from high balls, and sticking with lonesome hens, and single quacks.  Seems as though less is more.  I'm looking more for how they react to certain decoy spreads during different times of the year.

Offline SpencerUSMC

• Tracker
Re: Vancouver Area Ducks
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 04:18:53 PM »
hahaha Just out of curiousity are you fairly new to duck hunting??  This is where the "Hunting" part comes into play, you need to get out and try different things, see what works on different days and record it, weather, wind, water level etc...   Most all of this comes from putting your work in!!  Hunt hard!  the payoff is more than worth it!!

Offline Coasthunterjay

• Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 04:22:02 PM »
Whats cracking spence man.......hav ent heard from you in a while......gonna come out and shoot your harly with me again this year? maybe see if we can get some more scoters?

Hunt big water, if you can hit a river or large creek through out a line of decoys and hunt the birds that fly by.....if you hunt a pond or shallow, hunt it early morning and late afternoon and try searching somewhere else for birds that are alreay landed during the day.........

ask for permission to hunt private properties, you would be supprised how many farmers hate ducks and geese for all the damage they do to there crops, eating seed, grass, and newly growing crops....they make warfields out of a freshly seeded lot............

Just ask, be professional, and share your experiance with them.......but persistance, patience, and a steady trigger and you'll be good.......dont be afraid to scout for areas........

Offline SilkWWU

• Feet Dragger
  • Business Sponsor
  • Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 04:28:50 PM »
I've been Hunting Hunting ducks for about 4 years competitively.  I've noticed that certain ducks in certain areas will behave differently.  I'm no where near expert on my duck hunting abilities, but I constantly left with 6-12 ducks with my partner.  I'm aware that doing homework pays off, as I've done quite a bit of it, was looking more along the lines if anyone had noticed any tendencies to the ducks here locally.

Offline SpencerUSMC

• Tracker
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 04:29:47 PM »
 I'm finally starting to get real antsy for the season...  Found my way back to all the duck hunting forums, this year I want my Oldsquaw.  I'll have to make a couple trips out that way this year.

Offline SpencerUSMC

• Tracker
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008, 04:31:54 PM »
I've been Hunting Hunting ducks for about 4 years competitively.  I've noticed that certain ducks in certain areas will behave differently.  I'm no where near expert on my duck hunting abilities, but I constantly left with 6-12 ducks with my partner.  I'm aware that doing homework pays off, as I've done quite a bit of it, was looking more along the lines if anyone had noticed any tendencies to the ducks here locally.

Well I can tell you I've had many days where the ducks do one thing all day and the next day they do the complete opposite, if duck hunting was easy and predictable it wouldn't be fun!

Offline SilkWWU

• Feet Dragger
  • Business Sponsor
  • Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2008, 04:57:31 PM »
Wow...I never meant to say competitively :dunno:...work makes me tired and apparently dumb :P  I mean to say seriously.  LOL

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by jrebel
[Today at 06:27:01 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]