collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: lets talk backcountry shelters  (Read 19744 times)

Offline fillthefreezer

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • @adventure_sd
lets talk backcountry shelters
« on: June 01, 2012, 08:59:56 AM »
im lookin to shave some weight off my shelter. right now im using a crappy tent.
id like to be under 4lbs while being able to shelter 2 people ad gear.
ive been looking at tarptent rainshadow2, wyoming lost and found tarptipi, a few options from golite.
id like to stay under $300 as well otherwise id really be looking at the seekoutside BCS, or kifaru.

Offline JPhelps

• I EAT ELK!!!
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
Re: lets talk backcountry shelters
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 09:14:30 AM »
I love my rainshadow 2.  Tons of room, under 2.5 lbs, and it keeps the creepy crawlies out of my tent with the netting and tub floor.  Free Standing with a hiking pole which I already have with me.

I only use it through Mid October though.  It does sleep cold because the footbox and door allow for a ton of ventilation.

Offline Miles

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 09:34:39 AM »
I use a Golite Shangri-La 5 and really like it.  I use the fly by itself (floorless), and it comes in under 3 lbs with the pole, stakes, and bag.  Being a single wall, you need to be aware of condensation and pitch it keeping that in mind.  It's adjustable so you can get airflow underneath while still being staked down.

Offline X-Force

• Solo Hunter
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 09:42:11 AM »
I have had experience with the MSR Hubba Hubba and the Nemo Meta 2. If you look around online they both can be found for under $300. A buddy brought the Meta 2 on a backcountry elk trip for 6 days and it actually slept 3 of us, not shoulder to shoulder. The only real problem with that tent is in humid weather it collects a lot of condensate. The Hubba Hubba is a good tent if you don’t carry hiking poles, want vestibule space and don’t want to blow a ton of money. I haven’t had any experience with Tarptents yet but I really want the Moment for solo trips. If I’m not mistaken Tarptents are manufactured in Seattle.
Nemo Meta 2
$250
http://www.mountaingear.com/webstore/Gear/Camping-hiking/Tents/Nemo/Meta-2P-Tent-2-Person/_/R-217912P.htm
MSR Hubba Hubba
$300
http://www.campsaver.com/Hubba-Hubba-Tent-2-Person-3-Season

People get offended at nothing at all. So, speak your mind and be unapologetic.

Offline dreamingbig

• Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 10:40:17 AM »
I am really liking the shangri-la 5 I picked up on sale for less than $275 after shipping.
@mukbowhunt
Avid Bowhunter
Maxxis 35 / Trykon XL

Offline fillthefreezer

• Sourdough
  • @adventure_sd
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 10:56:39 AM »
I use a Golite Shangri-La 5 and really like it.  I use the fly by itself (floorless), and it comes in under 3 lbs with the pole, stakes, and bag.  Being a single wall, you need to be aware of condensation and pitch it keeping that in mind.  It's adjustable so you can get airflow underneath while still being staked down.
they list it at like 5 lbs, must be a heavy floor?
ill add that to the possibles list knowing that

Offline dreamingbig

• Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 12:07:33 PM »
That is the weight with the full zip nest.  You can use it that way and have a traditional 2 wall shelter (nest plus fly) or you can use just the outer fly and have an awesome floorless shelter.  The floorless shelter option will be our cook shack / storage area.  Not much difference in that weight and a tarp.
@mukbowhunt
Avid Bowhunter
Maxxis 35 / Trykon XL

Offline washelkhunter

• Region 5 State Delegate #3
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
  • Site sponsorhttp
  • Groups: TPE, NRA, RMEF, AST
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2012, 12:13:48 PM »
I use a Whelen leanto made out of nylon by Beckel canvas.  Shelters 2 and all their gear.

Offline Miles

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2012, 08:27:48 AM »
they list it at like 5 lbs, must be a heavy floor?
ill add that to the possibles list knowing that

The floor is somewhere around 1lb if I am remembering correctly.  Then you add in the weight of the screen nest and you are at the 5lbs.  I want to say my set up is right around 2lbs 14 oz with just the fly, pole, carry bag, and stakes.

Offline Miles

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman

Offline fillthefreezer

• Sourdough
  • @adventure_sd
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2012, 12:16:54 PM »
does the shangri la have any sort of D ring at the top to lash upward and go pole-less?

Offline fillthefreezer

• Sourdough
  • @adventure_sd
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2012, 12:17:42 PM »
I love my rainshadow 2.  Tons of room, under 2.5 lbs, and it keeps the creepy crawlies out of my tent with the netting and tub floor.  Free Standing with a hiking pole which I already have with me.

I only use it through Mid October though.  It does sleep cold because the footbox and door allow for a ton of ventilation.

would it be possible to pitch this on snow without the netting and tub?

Offline Miles

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2012, 04:46:48 PM »
does the shangri la have any sort of D ring at the top to lash upward and go pole-less?

Yes.

Offline Shawn Ryan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Snoozing in elk country.
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2012, 05:46:00 PM »
Feelthefreezer,

In addition to hanging the tent (to save pole weight) you can cut a length of branch/tree for the center pole on the SL5.  I have a photo of my Kifaru paratarp with sticks for poles posted in an adjacent thread called "Camping."  Your initial post tells me you've done your homework and are looking at some of the good gear.

Offline dblungshot

• Tracker
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2012, 05:54:14 PM »
I'm having a hard time finding a Golite Shangri-La 5 tent available online...id like the nest with bug proof option but can't find one available...Anyone out there who can help me locate a link?  Most say unavailable or out of stock.  I understand they are no longer in production but would like to find one.  The ones available appear to only be the tarp section and not the bug screen or birds nest.  Any help will be appreciated. 

Offline fillthefreezer

• Sourdough
  • @adventure_sd
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2012, 08:59:41 PM »
Feelthefreezer,

In addition to hanging the tent (to save pole weight) you can cut a length of branch/tree for the center pole on the SL5.  I have a photo of my Kifaru paratarp with sticks for poles posted in an adjacent thread called "Camping."  Your initial post tells me you've done your homework and are looking at some of the good gear.
I've thought of that, i use a spike style wall tent that way but when I'm carrying camp from my shoulders i rarely have a saw and i don't know if id trust a broken stick end against silnylon..?

I'm having a hard time finding a Golite Shangri-La 5 tent available online...id like the nest with bug proof option but can't find one available...Anyone out there who can help me locate a link?  Most say unavailable or out of stock.  I understand they are no longer in production but would like to find one.  The ones available appear to only be the tarp section and not the bug screen or birds nest.  Any help will be appreciated. 
I'm with ya, i emailed golite on saturday, yet to hear back. id buy the whole deal and leave the nest at home unless i brought the wife or something probably...

Offline BrushChimp

• Scout
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2012, 09:24:22 PM »
They are right on their website.  :dunno:

http://www.golite.com/Shangri-La-5-Tent-P46714.aspx

All the Go Lite tents look like great deals to me!! I almost want to buy a couple more tents just to have.

Offline BrushChimp

• Scout
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2012, 09:26:00 PM »
Excuse me. I just noticed they are Out of Stock at that web address. Hope you guys have luck elsewhere.

Offline Shawn Ryan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2012, 10:43:49 PM »
Having an SL4, I can't specifically comment on the SL5, but the SL4 peak has a durable pocket that will hold a stick just fine.

I believe Go-Lite just completed a sale on the SL5, so they may be hard to find for awhile.

Offline fillthefreezer

• Sourdough
  • @adventure_sd
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2012, 03:18:47 PM »
talked with rachael from golite today, she said theyre expecting more shangri las instock later this month but not sure if the pricing will remain the same. they also only sell as a bundle now

Offline Miles

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2012, 08:14:37 PM »
talked with rachael from golite today, she said theyre expecting more shangri las instock later this month but not sure if the pricing will remain the same. they also only sell as a bundle now

If you end up buying the bundle and want to get rid of the nest, let me know and I will buy it from you.   I'm thinking a nest may be a nice thing to have down here in Cali with snakes crawling around.  :chuckle:

Offline fillthefreezer

• Sourdough
  • @adventure_sd
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2012, 08:23:52 PM »

If you end up buying the bundle and want to get rid of the nest, let me know and I will buy it from you.   I'm thinking a nest may be a nice thing to have down here in Cali with snakes crawling around.  :chuckle:
where in CA are you?

Offline dblungshot

• Tracker
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2012, 09:44:10 PM »

Thank you for the update and info.   :tup:

Offline dreamingbig

• Frontiersman
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2012, 10:11:21 AM »
I got an email today from GoLite with this subject line: "GoLite Big Score: Granite Creek Softshell for only $59.99 and Shangri-La 5 Tents Back in Stock!"  I went to the website but it appears that they are still out of stock on the website.
@mukbowhunt
Avid Bowhunter
Maxxis 35 / Trykon XL

Offline dblungshot

• Tracker
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2012, 02:32:31 PM »
I got an email today from GoLite with this subject line: "GoLite Big Score: Granite Creek Softshell for only $59.99 and Shangri-La 5 Tents Back in Stock!"  I went to the website but it appears that they are still out of stock on the website.

Available on the website now.  Just picked mine up.  Thanks for the heads-up!

Offline dreamingbig

• Frontiersman
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2012, 10:02:19 PM »
Awesome and you are welcome.
@mukbowhunt
Avid Bowhunter
Maxxis 35 / Trykon XL

Offline swanny

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
    • 9to5active
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2012, 07:22:36 AM »
Here's another tarp style tent with the single pole. It's on my list of items to purchase. Strong in wind and snow, guide services use these for their kitchens a lot.

http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-us/shop/mountain/shelters/mega-light-tent

Offline dreamingbig

• Frontiersman
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2012, 08:34:02 AM »
Another option to the Shangri-La but it demands a premium price.  Not as spendy as Kifaru though.

http://seekoutside.com/products/ultralight-tipis/backcountry-shelter/
@mukbowhunt
Avid Bowhunter
Maxxis 35 / Trykon XL

Offline fillthefreezer

• Sourdough
  • @adventure_sd
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2012, 08:48:04 AM »
Another option to the Shangri-La but it demands a premium price.  Not as spendy as Kifaru though.

http://seekoutside.com/products/ultralight-tipis/backcountry-shelter/
see 1st post.. :chuckle:

Offline LivinTheDream

• Tracker
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2012, 09:21:55 AM »
I just got done sewing up a tipitent. When I started searching for the right backcountry shelter, i really liked the tipi style and what it had to offer. With the fact that you can make it a heated shelter I was sold. A stove in the backcountry isn't a must but for the extra 6lbs I will glady pack one for long stays. Our group of 4 lives for the backcountry bow hunt, and we wanted a better option for backcountry base camp. No more little two man tents and being all cramped up in rain/snow storms! Here are the dimensions of my do it yourself tent.
9 ft tall, 17ft diameter. It could sleep 8 in a pinch but 4 comfortably with gear and stove. The tent weighs 3.8lbs with a 6.4lb titanium stove from ti goat. Total pack weight with tent, stakes, stuff sacks and stove comes in around 11 lbs. I'm still working on a plan for a good center pole. Right now just using a extension pole for a paint roller, actually seems to work ok. Total cost to make was just around $300. I ordered my materials online and got the stove jack kit from titanium goat. Used google sketch up to build my blue prints then built a practice tent out of blue tarp. My secret weapon in all this was my mother in-law. She sewed it all up, without her I would have had a much tougher learning curve but it could be done. So far it has held up very well in the minor rain we have had it in. Seam sealed by hand. The center pole is reinforced with heavy canvas so that I could cut a tree limb if I got in a pinch. The only pic I have of it was just a quick set up, I could have made more adjustments to make it more taught. Overall I'm very happy with the outcome. Excited to get it out on some scouting trips soon.
IAFF Local 3674

Offline dreamingbig

• Frontiersman
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2012, 09:37:33 AM »
see 1st post.. :chuckle:

My bad!  Sorry. :)
@mukbowhunt
Avid Bowhunter
Maxxis 35 / Trykon XL

Offline dblungshot

• Tracker
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2012, 09:38:15 AM »
Congrats LtheD!!! Do you have any inside pics?  Where did you pick up the materials?  Details on the materials?  Great to see a DIY!

Offline dreamingbig

• Frontiersman
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2012, 09:39:53 AM »
Nicely done on the homemade tipi!  More skills/time than I have!
@mukbowhunt
Avid Bowhunter
Maxxis 35 / Trykon XL

Offline fillthefreezer

• Sourdough
  • @adventure_sd
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2012, 09:44:14 AM »
how does that TI goat stove do in a shelter that size? how long will it burn before needing reloaded?

Offline LivinTheDream

• Tracker
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2012, 09:48:18 AM »
Congrats LtheD!!! Do you have any inside pics?  Where did you pick up the materials?  Details on the materials?  Great to see a DIY!

I ordered from a company called  backwoodsdaydreamer, online. The material I used was 30d Silnylon Ripstop.  1.1oz base weight, 1.35oz after coating.  62″+ wide.  Cordura ripstop nylon that has been impregnated with a silicone blend for supreme water protection.  Each roll of their silnylon 1sts has been suter tested for a hydrostatic head rating of 1000mm or greater. This stuff is so waterproof it's crazy. My biggest worry is wind, thats why I added the guyline tieouts mid height all the way aaround the tent. Like anything else I think if it's cared for well and used smart (wind blocked locations) I dont see us having any issues.
IAFF Local 3674

Offline LivinTheDream

• Tracker
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2012, 09:52:13 AM »
how does that TI goat stove do in a shelter that size? how long will it burn before needing reloaded?

I will get back to you on this with exact numbers, gonna do a burn test this weekend. I see it burning up pretty fast. The stove is gonna be there more for drying up, cooking, and cool mornings more then an all night burner to keep us warm. We also have a kni-co stove (their smallest one. Packer Jr??) that we will try out, but it weighs 12lbs by itself.
IAFF Local 3674

Offline LivinTheDream

• Tracker
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2012, 10:04:06 AM »
Nicely done on the homemade tipi!  More skills/time than I have!

I was surprised, wasn't as bad as I thought. The sewing skills aspect will have a learning curve but you pick it up pretty fast. Total time in was maybe 10hrs. The practice tent is a must, you learn so much that the second round is a breeze.
IAFF Local 3674

Offline Shawn Ryan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2012, 10:37:59 PM »
L-t-D,  Way to go with the DIY tent.  Looks great.

Offline fillthefreezer

• Sourdough
  • @adventure_sd
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2012, 09:38:13 PM »
I will get back to you on this with exact numbers, gonna do a burn test this weekend. I see it burning up pretty fast. The stove is gonna be there more for drying up, cooking, and cool mornings more then an all night burner to keep us warm. We also have a kni-co stove (their smallest one. Packer Jr??) that we will try out, but it weighs 12lbs by itself.
well....?
:arms crossed, tapping toe:

Offline Fishnfowler

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2012, 04:51:17 PM »
Silnylon DIY pyramid style.  It weighs less than a pound and fits into a stuff sack that I can put in my pocket.  No bug-free option, but you don't have to take your boots off to wander around inside.  I make my buddy carry the ground tarp, and if it is really raining we can rig it for additional outside living area.  We cook right inside it.  When strung from a rope it is the most stable structure in high wind I've ever had. 

Offline jess

• Scout
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2012, 01:31:02 PM »
I just use a tarp and cut some poles...

Offline fillthefreezer

• Sourdough
  • @adventure_sd
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2012, 09:25:35 AM »
ordered my SL5 this AM

Offline dreamingbig

• Frontiersman
« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2012, 12:19:32 PM »
I think you will like it.  I used mine this weekend the family and it slept all three of us and our gear just fine with room to spare.  We used the nest and I was pleased with the lack of condensation.
@mukbowhunt
Avid Bowhunter
Maxxis 35 / Trykon XL

Offline dreamunelk

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2012, 11:55:08 AM »

How does your rainshadow hold up in the rain?

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]