collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Best all around clothing?  (Read 18009 times)

Offline 180-GRAIN

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Sourdough
Re: Best all around clothing?
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2012, 12:27:00 PM »
That Kryptek looks awesome and sounds perfect for the westside. How durable is it brushchimp?

Offline JPhelps

• I EAT ELK!!!
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2012, 12:39:44 PM »
blackvelvetbowhunter, I know both BrushChimp and Primetime used the koldo blockade last year (I will tell them to get on here and let you know about it).

180-grain, the kryptek worked awesome for us last year from the himalayan blackberry patches to the high alpine areas of Eastern Washington.  All of my gear is still in great shape and ready to roll this year.

Offline alecvg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2012, 01:06:11 PM »
I dont think there is any best. I use sitka, kuiu, and am ordering first lite soon.  Its all good.
I would rather be a conservative nut job, than a liberal with no nuts, and no job!

Offline kentrek

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2012, 01:53:25 PM »
I am looking for something I can wear in the summer on high hunts and in the winter for the extreme elements.

Sorry to pee in your cheerios, but no such thing. FTF, is right think layers. Kuiu offers some great clothing. I do like my sitka, alot of guys dont but mine has held up well. Firstlite also has some nice gear. Overall I think kuiu is running away with the market. Best price, best quality, but ordering from them is tough most of the time they are out of stock.

i disagree,if your hiking the only difference is one light isulating layer and somthing to cut the wind...i pack both for high hunts and winter..

first light :twocents:

Offline JackOfAllTrades

• Rasbo said I Ain't Right.
  • Old Salt
  • Μολὼν λαβέ
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2012, 02:09:56 PM »
USMC or Italian greens wool blend pants are breathable, light weight and great for summer hikes. Cut a pair and hem them as shorts.

WWI surplus wool army greens are a bit heavier and nice for fall days.

WWII surplus wool army greens (6 pocket) are warm and repel water better than spendy Filson.

I wear the army green wool heavy shirt as a light outer jacket.

Any of these combined with silk, silkweight or middleweight wool, or poly bottom layers give you choices for your environmental conditions.

Rain and wind gear that is light and packable has been my mode of operation for years.

No... None of what I reference is camo, but I wear that blasted blaze orange vest anyway...  And while not camo.. NOTHING beats wool for being quiet in the brush. If I do get wet.. I'll be warm.

Layering works.

-Steve
The NRA says I'm a Master!
Colt's, Ruger's, Dan Wesson, & Kimber are my friends!
Proud to be a U.S. Navy Veteran.

If you never follow your dreams, you'll never go anywhere.

Critical thinking keeps people from freaking the hell out every time some half baked blogger forgets his meds. Unlike some of you, I do not have TawkethOutOfAnus© syndrome.

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2012, 02:12:07 PM »
Logger boots, levis and hickory shirts. Probably killed more animals dressed like that than any fancy stuff on the market. That's what I wear .  :tup:
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline jackmaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2012, 02:19:00 PM »
i have hunted the wetside my whole life like many others have, i still havent found anything better than my mid weight rivers west, i have learned how to dress underneath and it made all the differance in the world, i also learned to bring a pair of hike in clothes no matter how nasty it is, when i get to my huntn spot i change clothes wait till i get cold and then slip my rivers west on with a long sleeve tshirt and i am good to go all day, but you definatly cannot hike hard in the stuff unless you want a heat stroke, if its fairly mild out i wear my good ole army bdu's from when i waqs in the service in the early 90s, jungle boots and a good ole hickory shirt
my grandpa always said "if it aint broke dont fix it"

Offline fillthefreezer

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • @adventure_sd
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2012, 03:50:54 PM »
Logger boots, levis and hickory shirts. Probably killed more animals dressed like that than any fancy stuff on the market. That's what I wear .  :tup:
sounds like a good way to end up needing an emergency fire. may work ok when youre close to the truck but you wont find me in deep wearing heavy cotton...

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2012, 09:04:23 PM »
sounds like a good way to end up needing an emergency fire. may work ok when youre close to the truck but you wont find me in deep wearing heavy cotton...

None of it is heavy cotton.

I do actually wear wool underneath my shirt, wool socks, wool gloves etc. Kinda egging you guys on.............. :chuckle:
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 01:07:24 PM by CAMPMEAT »
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline wrongway

• Scout
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2012, 09:13:03 PM »
predator Green Deception all the way, I feel it is the best on the market, I have been using it for several  years now and it works good for the west side. Go the there web site and take a look.

Offline WAcoueshunter

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2012, 09:37:06 PM »
I've used Sitka for a few years, but now stick to merino, primarily First Lite.  Doesn't feel any different than the sitka stuff, but the merino wool just has better heating/cooling and scent control properties.  I also have some of the Core4Element merino base layers - same deal.  Merino is just a better material.  I get one day of hard hunting out of a Sitka shirt before it is stinky...takes about three days for one of the merino shirts to get to the same point. 

Offline AKBowman

• Sourdough
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2012, 11:27:37 AM »
predator Green Deception all the way, I feel it is the best on the market, I have been using it for several  years now and it works good for the west side. Go the there web site and take a look.

I agree!! Only second to Predator Spring Green but they are moving away from the Spring Green and going towards Green Deception. They (Predator) are starting to make better stuff, my cousin works there and he said they are starting to taylor their gear towards the western hunter. They orginally sold to the midwest guys who are mostly fine with cotton.

I bought a set of the pants in the link below last year and they have been outstanding, the klind of pants the more you were them the better they get. They shed water really well and dried out very quickly, are light weight and breathable but do a decent job at cutting the wind. I use the light weight poly henly green deception top and it seems hard to beat for the early archery elk season on the west side. They should soon be coming out with a rain gear line of top and bottom that is in green depception, brown decpetion and predator grey only that is along the lines of the Sitka stuff. The pants being ~$100 and top ~$120.

http://www.predatorcamo.com/lrsStore/ViewProduct/515
"All you can do is hunt” - Roy Roth

Offline AKBowman

• Sourdough
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2012, 11:31:17 AM »
As a follow up to my post above...I know there is better stuff on the market but for $60 these are the best I've worn.
"All you can do is hunt” - Roy Roth

Offline BrushChimp

• Scout
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2012, 07:39:30 AM »
@blackveltbowhunter: I used the Koldo Blockage last year quite a bit and it worked well for me. Kept me dry and it is lightweight and packable. It has a bit of an oversized hood which works well for having a ball cap on. The hood will extend just past the end of my cap and my cap stays dry too.

If anyone is looking at picking up some used (1 season only) Kryptek sized in Med. and Mountain Mimicry camo, PM me.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2012, 07:51:31 AM »
I've just replaced all of my camo this year, mostly on Camofire. I have several Core4Element shirts, either poly or merino. The pants are the hard part for me. I'm having a hard time finding quiet pants that offer some moisture resistance along with durability and breathability. The Core4 switchback pants are way too noisy. For outer layer tops, I have fleece, some of which are Goretex.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal