collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Cougar Harvest question  (Read 32388 times)

Offline 400out

• Radio Active YAR
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • HA HA! VERY FUNNY!
Cougar Harvest question
« on: June 17, 2012, 09:40:51 AM »
I was just wondering if you harvest a cougar in the back country (or anywhere i guess) are you required to remove a certain % of meat like other big game or does it fall in the catagory as yote only remove head and teeth for reporting. Thanks for your help  :hello:  :hello:  :hello:
Granted the ability to cause a A nuclear explosion that produces a rapid release of energy from a higher power resulting in the sudden and catastrophic demise of a thread.

Confucius say:
A crowded elevator smells different to a midget!
Man that go to bed with itchy butt wake up with stinky fingers!
Man who fight with wife all day get no piece at night.

Offline blackveltbowhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • BLAM
Re: Cougar Harvest question
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 09:42:33 AM »
Not sure about requirement, but I can say without a doubt I would take all I could  :tup: Its delicious!!

Offline cem3434

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+29)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA, MDF, RMEF, NWTF, PF, RGS, WSF, WSTA
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 09:46:34 AM »
Not sure about requirement, but I can say without a doubt I would take all I could  :tup: Its delicious!!

:yeah: If you have never had cougar, you should try it. Its very good and is almost like pork.
The best friend a guy could have asked for. RIP chasing pheasants in heaven Denali girl.

Offline BOWHUNTER45

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 09:50:57 AM »
Yeah it is good ... and I do not mind taking a bite once in awhile but I can not sit down and make it a full coarse meal ...when I got mine a friend took it all ...him and his wife loved it ....Glad it all got used !! :tup:

Offline 400out

• Radio Active YAR
  • Old Salt
  • HA HA! VERY FUNNY!
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2012, 10:00:09 AM »
I have heard it is good! But if I'm in the back country lets say deer hunting and harvest a deer and while I'm on my way out I spot and harvest a cougar am I bound by law to make another trip to pack it out also  :dunno:  :dunno:  :dunno:
Granted the ability to cause a A nuclear explosion that produces a rapid release of energy from a higher power resulting in the sudden and catastrophic demise of a thread.

Confucius say:

Offline Hunterman

• Y.A.R. PRO FISHING TEAM MEMBER #1 MASTER BAITER
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2012, 10:09:26 AM »
You kill it, then you take it out plain and simple. After all that cat is still a game animal..

Hunterman(Tony)
SOMR PEOPLE HAVE TO WAIT THEIR WHOLE LIFE TO MEET THEIR HUNTING BUDDY. I RAISED MINE.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2012, 10:22:31 AM »
I know you're not required by law to take out the meat of a cougar. That is a good question though, one I had never thought of. I would guess you'd at least have to bring out the head. Eating cat meat isn't high on my list of things I'd like to do, so I'd just as soon leave the meat there for  the bears, coyotes, etc.

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2012, 10:57:00 AM »
I know you're not required by law to take out the meat of a cougar. That is a good question though, one I had never thought of. I would guess you'd at least have to bring out the head. Eating cat meat isn't high on my list of things I'd like to do, so I'd just as soon leave the meat there for  the bears, coyotes, etc.

What? Call me and I will take it.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2012, 11:07:54 AM »

What? Call me and I will take it.

I was only talking about if the circumstances are such that it's a great deal of work to get it out, as in the original post. If I can get a cougar out whole I would do it and I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to find people who would want the meat.

If it's a 5 mile pack, I'll call you, and you can pack it out. How's that?   :chuckle:

Offline Crowns

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2012, 11:21:00 AM »
I'm sure you mean well by your question. But I couldn't help but be irritated a little by your hypothetical question. I shot one a couple years ago, they are delicious. Better than venison in my opinion. On top of this, it does have a niche in the ecosystem. I just don't feel like any game animal should be harvested in vein. Don't pull the trigger if you can't pack it out. Just my opinion.

Offline 400out

• Radio Active YAR
  • Old Salt
  • HA HA! VERY FUNNY!
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2012, 12:10:10 PM »
Alright! Look forward to the ride this thread could be going on !!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the answers! Being just a simple question I will leave it to run it's course and refrain from defending my ethics as a hunter! Thanks guys  :hello:

Confucius say:

Offline 3nails

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Frontiersman
    • Jeff Hinkle
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2012, 01:02:35 PM »
I'm sure you mean well by your question. But I couldn't help but be irritated a little by your hypothetical question. I shot one a couple years ago, they are delicious. Better than venison in my opinion. On top of this, it does have a niche in the ecosystem. I just don't feel like any game animal should be harvested in vein. Don't pull the trigger if you can't pack it out. Just my opinion.
So........................you ever shot a coyote? Did you eat it?
Amadeo
https://www.youtube.com/@3nails337

Instagram    3nails_hinkle

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2012, 01:03:27 PM »
The question here is really just what is required by law, not what is ethical or not ethical by some people's standards. I'm interested in the answer to the legal aspect of this scenario. I have no problems with someone killing a cougar and leaving it all to be "wasted" (although nothing in nature is ever wasted, something will eat it). Deer, elk, and bear are "food" to me. Cats and dogs are not. Not saying I wouldn't try cougar meat, I would. It's just not a high priority, and if it was a matter of packing a cougar 10 miles on my back, I would only be bringing out what was required by law. If cougars were rare I would feel differently. But they're not, and they also compete with us hunters for OUR deer and elk. So the fewer of them the better as far as I'm concerned.

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2012, 01:12:22 PM »
You are not required to take the meat of cougar in any state or province.

However, many people like it, even if you don't like it, a friend likley will. It's easy to take off both rear hams, both backstraps, and the front shoulders and you have most of the meat for someone to enjoy.  :twocents:
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline xXLojackXx

• Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2012, 10:07:50 PM »
Cougars appear to me as more of a predator than a game animal  :twocents: knowing now that people like the meat, id consider taking the meat and letting the big dogs eat on this website!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal