collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Cougar Harvest question  (Read 32378 times)

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
Re: Cougar Harvest question
« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2012, 12:41:39 PM »
They require you to use bear meat and they are way more of a scavenger then a cougar. I didn't see any exception under the RCW. :dunno:
Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline jackmaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #46 on: August 07, 2012, 02:11:47 PM »
i undestand that but bear are omnivores, cats are carnivores, dont they say that you can get diseases from eating carnivores? i have heard up in alaska that guys dont have to bring out their grizzly meat do to some kind of nasty somethig in the meat, i know it aint washington and it aint a cat. :dunno:
my grandpa always said "if it aint broke dont fix it"

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #47 on: August 07, 2012, 02:44:29 PM »
Read 2 (a) again. It says at the end " ... OR wildlife classified as big game" cougars are classified as big game.

Call and ask your regional office or local warden, unless it has recently been changed, there is an exception of that law on cougar in WA. I have asked before and was told cougar meat does not have to be recovered. Seems like it's in the phamphlet somewhere buy maybe it got dropped when cougar regs changed!

i undestand that but bear are omnivores, cats are carnivores, dont they say that you can get diseases from eating carnivores? i have heard up in alaska that guys dont have to bring out their grizzly meat do to some kind of nasty somethig in the meat, i know it aint washington and it aint a cat. :dunno:

Cougar and bear can carry trichenosis. A Montana University study found something like 17% bear and 44% of cougar tested carried trichenosis.

Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
    • facebook
« Reply #48 on: August 07, 2012, 02:55:03 PM »
Read 2 (a) again. It says at the end " ... OR wildlife classified as big game" cougars are classified as big game.

Call and ask your regional office or local warden, unless it has recently been changed, there is an exception of that law on cougar in WA. I have asked before and was told cougar meat does not have to be recovered. Seems like it's in the phamphlet somewhere buy maybe it got dropped when cougar regs changed!

Cougar and bear can carry trichenosis. A Montana University study found something like 17% bear and 44% of cougar tested carried trichenosis.

Maybe someone can find the exception and post it on here. As far as calling the regional office or game warden. I bet if you called each regional office or every game warden you would get multiple answers. Until someone finds the exception in the RCW's I will Just assume that the law is what the law says. I really don't care what others do either way. I just would hate for some one to get in trouble when they thought they were actually being lawful. Especially as much as the laws regarding cougar hunting have changed so much over the last 10 years...
  CAVEAT EMPTOR!  ;)
Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
    • facebook
« Reply #49 on: August 07, 2012, 03:05:32 PM »
I found this on page 77 of the hunting regulation pamphlet. I did not see any exeption for cougar. There was nothing mentioned under the cougar section.

2. Waste of Wildlife:
You may NOT allow game animals or game birds
you have taken to recklessly be wasted.
Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #50 on: August 07, 2012, 06:03:22 PM »
There is an exception for cougar meat. I don't know where it is in the pamphlet, or if it's even in there this year, but I'm pretty sure they didn't change the law.

So now I'm just wondering, when wolves become legal "big game," who is going to eat the meat? Should eating the meat be required by law?

Offline seth30

• Old Salt
  • It's time to HUNT!
« Reply #51 on: August 07, 2012, 06:04:51 PM »
There is an exception for cougar meat. I don't know where it is in the pamphlet, or if it's even in there this year, but I'm pretty sure they didn't change the law.

So now I'm just wondering, when wolves become legal "big game," who is going to eat the meat? Should eating the meat be required by law?
No worries, not sure about you bobcat but I know plenty of people from certain areas of the world that would love to eat a k9....
Rather be dead than cool.
Kurt Cobain

Online Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #52 on: August 07, 2012, 06:36:03 PM »
I have never seen any formal exception for meat of any animal, including cougar. The RCW, which has been referenced in this thread, does not specifically address meat at all. It states that wildlife shall not be recklessly "wasted". How that is interpreted is not clear from any current regulation that I'm aware of.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #53 on: August 07, 2012, 06:44:35 PM »
I agree with bobcat, I think it used to be in the rules, might have gotten accidentally deleted.

If wolves are required to be eaten I may have to break the law someday, just sayin....  :chuckle:
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
    • facebook
« Reply #54 on: August 07, 2012, 06:47:02 PM »
I agree with bobcat, I think it used to be in the rules, might have gotten accidentally deleted.

If wolves are required to be eaten I may have to break the law someday, just sayin....  :chuckle:

:chuckle: :chuckle: :yeah:
Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

Offline BOWHUNTER45

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #55 on: August 07, 2012, 07:19:05 PM »
HUH...You saying you would not like some wolf backstrap  :dunno: :chuckle:

Online Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #56 on: August 07, 2012, 07:29:20 PM »
Wolf. The other white meat.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline buckhorn2

• Frontiersman
« Reply #57 on: August 08, 2012, 07:12:12 AM »
Why is there a season on cougar at all. You would think june and july with the baby deer and elk they would be in season I saw a really big one yesterday that we could have got while looking for bear. He sat cleaning himself on top of a slash pile about 2oo yars away for about 15 minutes enough time to call home to see what the season was but like pike minnow that they pay to get out of the river but yet have a season on them some things just don;t make since. I guess if they can;t figure the wolf thing out they could;nt figure cougar either.

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
    • facebook
« Reply #58 on: August 08, 2012, 07:49:03 AM »
Why is there a season on cougar at all. You would think june and july with the baby deer and elk they would be in season I saw a really big one yesterday that we could have got while looking for bear. He sat cleaning himself on top of a slash pile about 2oo yars away for about 15 minutes enough time to call home to see what the season was but like pike minnow that they pay to get out of the river but yet have a season on them some things just don;t make since. I guess if they can;t figure the wolf thing out they could;nt figure cougar either.

I agree. They should be open year round. Without hounds people don't kill enough of them to make a difference anyway.
Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #59 on: August 08, 2012, 07:54:14 AM »

I agree. They should be open year round. Without hounds people don't kill enough of them to make a difference anyway.

There may well be an open season eventually. With the strides that people like Kain have made by staying in the DFW's face about predator management, the season has been restored to it's old dates. The main reason I believe it's closed now between April 1st and Aug 31st is that if a mother with kittens is accidentally shot, the kittens have a better chance of survival in the fall. That's my guess.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]