Advertisement

Author Topic: Yotes?  (Read 9087 times)

Offline Krusty

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Re: Yotes?
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2008, 12:00:09 PM »
TLB,

Only the super 'coon size is "double adjustable"... all the others only have width adjustment.

Think about the shape of a raccoon, he's pointed at both ends and fat around the middle.
Because of this, when you pull the width on a big one, you are often left with a "sag" in the back, where the "hump" was.
To save multiple steps (pinning the hips and tail, then spreading, then unpinning and re-pulling the tail to be pinned longer), one can pin the hips and tail, set the width then pull the back flat with the tail adjuster (being careful not to yank the tail off).

Since a coyote is already "flat" on top, we don't need to pull their tails, to flatten the back.
And the tail boards, on foxes often aren't used at all, but I figured some smaller coyotes, and most mid-sized 'coons, would fit the fox boards, so I've included them.

Krusty
Sarcasm; just one of the many services I offer.

Offline rainshadow1

• RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
  • Custom Calls and Knives
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/RainShadow-Game-Calls-Custom-Knives/133406026689512?ref=hl
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2008, 12:24:45 PM »
How much for the big one, Krusty? I can get a dozen wire stretchers for something like $70 but I don't need a dozen! I have the freezer space to do one at a time!
- - Steve
View and Purchase/Order Custom Calls!
Cougar Hunters!!! Check out Calling Products and Call-In Stories!
View the Blade Gallery, & Purchase/Order a Custom Knife!
 www.rain-shadow.com

RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives on Facebook

Labrador Retrievers - https://rainshadowlabradors.com

Offline Krusty

• Hunter
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2008, 06:00:46 PM »
Rainshadow,

Wire sucks, you couldn't give me $70 to take a dozen, and try and use 'em (on 'cats or coyotes).

And I'd lose that $70 real fast, by having my pelts worth less, because they were put up on wire.

I'm hoping to get $25 each, for the 'cat/coyote, same for the double adj. super 'coon, and $20 apiece for the fox.
This is only a few dollars more that Grawes sells the most popular basswood stretchers, of similar size.
But these cedar boards, I believe, are a far superior product.

Buy a half dozen (of anything, mink or bigger), and I'll cover shipping/delivery, in Washington.

Krusty

Offline rainshadow1

• Business Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
  • Custom Calls and Knives
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/RainShadow-Game-Calls-Custom-Knives/133406026689512?ref=hl
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2008, 06:38:45 PM »
PM sent Krusty.
- - Steve
View and Purchase/Order Custom Calls!
Cougar Hunters!!! Check out Calling Products and Call-In Stories!
View the Blade Gallery, & Purchase/Order a Custom Knife!
 www.rain-shadow.com

RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives on Facebook

Labrador Retrievers - https://rainshadowlabradors.com

Offline AWS

• Sourdough
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2008, 08:54:49 PM »
you might want to take a look at this sight.

http://www.furharvesters.com/PDF/pelthandling.pdf

AWS

When using solid boards be sure to use a belly board, a piece of 1/2" dowel slid up betweent the belly and the strecher.  After the hide dries it shrinks on the board, when the belly board is pulled out it gives just enough slack to slip the hide off the strecher.  Solid boards will let you pin your coyotes with a very uniform look.  If your sending your furs to auction solid I feel is the way to go.  Buyers really like uniform lots.  Cedar or Basswood are nice and soft easy to pin, pine will work but can bleed pitch and hard wood can discolour fur.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 09:17:36 PM by AWS »
After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Offline MichaelJ

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
    • www.facebook.com/hellscanyonarmory
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2008, 09:33:30 PM »
Michael J,

You probably already own the best tail stripper and skinning aid, I know of, a regular pair of pliers.

Here's what I do.

Once the hips are skinned and the base of the tail exposed, I take the pliers, set to the wide setting (on a raccoon or larger critter), then I clamp the pliers around the base of the tail, so the open part with the big teeth is around the tail bone.
Next I grip the "head" of the pliers, with the tail bone between my middle and ring fingers of one hand, and the base of the tail in the other and tug straight apart... pop you got a tail.

A "Wyoming" type gut knife will "zip" tails, but so will a decent skinner with a slight drop point (set on it's spine and pushed along).

Krusty

Sounds like you're talking about a pair of vicegrips???

Michael
Hells Canyon Armory Custom Rifles
https://www.facebook.com/HellsCanyonArmory/
HCARifles@gmail.com

Offline AWS

• Sourdough
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2008, 09:59:00 PM »
Not visegrips just cheap slip joint pliers like you find find in a cheap tool kit.  They work great.

AWS

Make mine a Minaska

Offline Krusty

• Hunter
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2008, 02:57:46 PM »
AWS,

I understand your efforts to put up your fur in a good and proper way, but there's a lot more to that, then just the type of stretcher.

I did extensive polling, of trappers and callers alike, before settling on the most popular and sought after design.

But, I'll gladly alter the (too blunt) nose on one of my otter boards, if someone wants solid stretchers for 'cats or coyote. ;)

But, being solid, they require more wood, a glued biscuit joint, and almost as much time to make... they're gonna cost more.

Michael,

What he said. ;)

Krusty

Offline tlbradford

• Frontiersman
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2008, 03:07:55 PM »
Not to mention, with solid boards you need a lot more of them in various sizes. 

If you are actually taking them to a fur buyer, you want to seperate them by grade and size.  Buyers love non-uniform lots.  That way they can grade your entire lot to your worst fur and pay you less.
Dreams are forever on the mind, realization in the hands.

Offline Houndhunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2008, 04:03:42 PM »
my advice, dont bother stretching them, its not gonna be worth the time money and hassle unless your getting alot of yotes. which most people arnt. i just skin and then sell if you can

Offline AWS

• Sourdough
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2008, 06:30:34 PM »
I've always made my own boards exccept for mink, I could buy them used from the fur buyer for a couple dollars a doz..  I even logged the linden (basswood) in my wood lot to get the larger one piece boards.  Other than mink and marten you only need one size per species.  Most of the boards I use now for coyotes are a non standard as I just stretch and dry to send to the tannery as I'll start sewing fur products next year.  When I was selling furs I checked with the auction houses and fur buyer to see what they wanted and would pay the most for.

AWS

Make mine a Minaska

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal