collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Need Help on where to go hunting?  (Read 131715 times)

Offline RobT

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Re: Need Help on where to go hunting?
« Reply #120 on: July 07, 2017, 06:53:13 AM »
Can anyone recommend a GMU or area for Elk hunting? I'm trying to plan my first Elk hunt in Washington. I know that some GMU's have more private land vs. public land. I'm looking to come up to WA next month in August to do some scouting and then western region archery in September. I plan on spending 4-5 days hunting. I would like to find a place that is primarily forest land where I can camp/backpack without worrying about wandering onto someones farm or ranch..

Any advice, suggestions, or other info would be appreciated. I don't expect anyone to give me the coordinates to their "spot" just maybe a nudge in the right direction would be appreciated :)

Offline buckfvr29

• Tracker
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #121 on: July 22, 2017, 09:36:53 AM »
Any suggestions where to go to fill a doe tag in area 2013?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 10:43:46 AM by buckfvr29 »

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #122 on: September 30, 2017, 10:39:08 PM »
Just moved into Longview and have no idea where to hunt for day trips. Is there any public or open-to-public timber land that is within 30 or so miles? I'm confined to hunting only a few hours in the mornings this year and can't take time off for my usual places in 572. Thanks!

There's a big block of DNR land in Ryderwood - 20 minutes west of Longview.  Also, there's maybe a thousand acres off I-5 in the western portion of Winston, just N. of the Toutle R. - call it 25 minutes north, and more Ryderwood DNR lands just W. of there off Westside HWY up along the BPA powerlines.  You can also purchase Weyco permits for some areas in Stella and St. Helens Tree Farm and have a ton of fun, all close by.  Lastly, there's Sierra Pacific land at the end of Germany Creek Rd that is open to walk-in. 
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline Randysonia

• Pelvic Splitter
  • Tracker
« Reply #123 on: October 10, 2017, 08:21:51 AM »
I finally got drawn (22pts.) for any Moose in the Aladdin unit. Nov. 1, - Nov. 30, 2017. Could somebody please tell me some good places to go and scout. Big Meadow Lake?  :dunno: Thank-You very much!  Randy   

Is the week of Thanksgiving to late? My boy's are out of school and I need their help. Hopefully!   :dunno:
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 11:23:34 AM by Randysonia »

Online boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #124 on: October 10, 2017, 08:48:35 AM »
Well generally the further north and further east you can go the better.  But.....there are monsters in between.    In years past the smackout pack was working the best moose country pretty hard.   I’m not up on how the culling has been going.   With only 3 of you, there’s a lot of moose country full of moose.    What a great tag.   Avoid private property, and keep in touch with all the whitetail hunters.  They tend to see plenty.    Strategy’s change in November a bit but don’t give up on calling.   They still respond quite well right up until their antlers start dropping, around thanksgiving.

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #125 on: October 10, 2017, 09:02:59 AM »
Well generally the further north and further east you can go the better.  But.....there are monsters in between.    In years past the smackout pack was working the best moose country pretty hard.   I’m not up on how the culling has been going.   With only 3 of you, there’s a lot of moose country full of moose.    What a great tag.   Avoid private property, and keep in touch with all the whitetail hunters.  They tend to see plenty.    Strategy’s change in November a bit but don’t give up on calling.   They still respond quite well right up until their antlers start dropping, around thanksgiving.
That last part is really important.  Shoot one before Thanksgiving.  You are playing Russian Roulette after that.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline ramosv24

• Pilgrim
« Reply #126 on: November 02, 2017, 08:17:43 PM »
Hey all,
I'm a new hunter (completed hunters ed in Summer 2016), and I'm looking for a spot to deer hunt with my brother on Orcas island for late season. My brother is a fairly new hunter (this is his 3rd deer season) and the only place we've been going is Whidbey. My buddy told me to check out Orcas island but I've heard it's mostly private land and that you pretty much have to know someone who lives there in order to hunt. Are there any options for places for me to hunt there if I don't personally know anyone with property?
"For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek."
-Romans 1:16

Offline Eric M

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Sourdough
« Reply #127 on: November 04, 2017, 08:16:35 PM »
Hey all,
I'm a new hunter (completed hunters ed in Summer 2016), and I'm looking for a spot to deer hunt with my brother on Orcas island for late season. My brother is a fairly new hunter (this is his 3rd deer season) and the only place we've been going is Whidbey. My buddy told me to check out Orcas island but I've heard it's mostly private land and that you pretty much have to know someone who lives there in order to hunt. Are there any options for places for me to hunt there if I don't personally know anyone with property?
I don't know the islands very well but you might try the OnX hunt app. It's a map app you can try free for 5 days (it's $30 I think if you want to keep it). It will show you what land is public and what's private and who owns the private. It does a lot more than that but that should help you find nearby public land for you. In the islands I'm pretty sure Cypress Island is mostly public if you have a boat.

Offline Randysonia

• Pelvic Splitter
  • Tracker
« Reply #128 on: December 04, 2017, 08:58:45 AM »
Thanks to everybody that has provided information on my Aladdin moose hunt. After 9 days of hunting I finally got a Bull on Nov. 25th.  I passed up a cow the night before because we were in a new area that was holding moose. We had a good time hunting moose and deer in the 2 weeks we were there. This state really needs to do something about the Wolfs. There were tracks and sign everywhere and hardly any moose and deer. It seems to me that the wolf is ruining hunting here in Washington State. Especially Colville! Bringing back hound hunting for cougars would help too. What has happened to this state and who is really running it?  Thanks again guys!!!

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #129 on: December 04, 2017, 09:05:17 AM »
Well we hear your thoughts on the wolves and hound hunting. Problem is we have a bunch of tree huggers in the Seattle area that have money & influence behind them. I don't see much changing in the near future.
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline Icemanhunter

• Pilgrim
Need help with ryderwood (530)
« Reply #130 on: September 30, 2018, 03:55:34 PM »
Hey all...

My name is richard and I archery hunt.  I'm new to this group. So, I normally elk hunt wynoochee area with a group of friends, but none of them are hunting western this year. So it looks like it's gonna be a solo late hunt. I'm gonna take this opportunity to hunt ryderwood. I've heard it can be really good hunting if you know where to go. There are still permits to hunt on weyco which is looking like that's gonna be my best bet. I was wondering if someone could help me by pointing me towards a good starting point. I'm 33 years old and fairly fit so a hike/bike in is normally how I do it. Not afraid to put miles under my boots. Thank you in advance

Offline KevrosWanderin

• I cant get enough!
  • Tracker
  • Groups: BHA, RMEF, NRA, WA Bow Hunters, Puget Sound Anglers
« Reply #131 on: October 13, 2018, 10:00:51 AM »
I feel like I am repeating myself but hey here we go. We moved into the Kent/Renton area last month. I have been doing extensive research, regarding hunting and fishing regs. I have been hiking King County Park trails. Seen a few black tail which is awesome. I took the bow hunters course up at Issaquah. I have bowhunted well over 15 years in MO. I thiught the class would update my skills and inform me of Wahington law and regs. It did that, the instructors were great. I am posting here to ask that question where do I go? LOL ok more specific, I have been researching onx maps. The Muckleshoot Federal Corporation, is this public access? I have many questions regarding just that. If it is State of Washington Land is it accessible? Do I need to research each individual State of Washington land Block to see what their regs are for that parcel? That is what I have been trying to do with not very much information being found. Please be patient with me as what I am used to the state land wasn't public access, no hunting no camping, no fires unless permitted. So I am trying to learn.
          I am also trying to find some where to hike/scout that I MIGHT be able to hear a elk bugle, lmao I know then I would be asking for you spot right. Along with that question, some area I can hike this fall without screwing up someones hunt yet seeing some mammals. Last but bot least I have not found in the regs if shed hunting is allowed. The bow hunter instructor informed me that the regs tell you what you can not do. So if it is not stated that you are allowed. I feel like if I wait till early spring to hike some of the hunting areas I have found on OnX. Then I could be shed hunt also as I am scouting, exploring, camping. Side Note: I am not a legal resident untill Dec 16,2018. Since we have just moved here I am at the moment unemployed. This gives me time to go out now, at least driving distance from the house. Sorry for the long winded post but I have lots of questions.
While inexperienced, a open mind, a will to learn, and the drive to achieve what you dream about. You can do anything. Persistence is key. Some dream of wealth or material things. I dream of experiences and wild places

Offline Russ McDonald

• Old Salt
  • USN ET3 SW 87-92, USS Excel MSO 439
  • Groups: NWTF, NRA
« Reply #132 on: October 13, 2018, 11:32:05 AM »
Washington state land along with national forest land is open public access.  Muckleshoot land is not.  You need a access permit sold through the Hancock forest management.  You need to know the GMU you are in because each GMU has a different set of rules for each big game species like deer and elk.  King county park is a no go for hunting.   Last thing is are you born before or after 1974.  You will have to take a hunters ed class if after 1974.  I do not know if the state recipocates foe hunters ed.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Russell McDonald
President South Sound NWTF Chapter and WA state board NWTF
The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline KevrosWanderin

• I cant get enough!
  • Tracker
  • Groups: BHA, RMEF, NRA, WA Bow Hunters, Puget Sound Anglers
« Reply #133 on: October 13, 2018, 11:47:33 AM »
My hunters Ed will transfer, however I have been taking the online course. The bow hunter educator is giving the pratical next month. I want to take Washingtons Ed for knowledge. There are rules and such that are not the same as MO. Thank you for your quick response. I will google search that permit. I have search Muckleshoot land, with not much coming up as far as access. Thank you for directing me in the right direction.
While inexperienced, a open mind, a will to learn, and the drive to achieve what you dream about. You can do anything. Persistence is key. Some dream of wealth or material things. I dream of experiences and wild places

Offline Russ McDonald

• Old Salt
  • USN ET3 SW 87-92, USS Excel MSO 439
  • Groups: NWTF, NRA
« Reply #134 on: October 13, 2018, 04:10:51 PM »
No problem.  It will be under Hancock White River Forest.  $250 vehicle access.  If you cant get a license after December 15th your pretty much done for big game by then.  You would be scouting.  If your looking in that area and thinking elk hunting you would only be able to hunt gmu 454.  All other on that land is permit draw only for elk.  That would be 653.  Water shed is no go.  653 is open for deer though and you can go up to some forest service land.  The 75 road is a good place to start.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Russell McDonald
President South Sound NWTF Chapter and WA state board NWTF
The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Reidus
[Today at 02:20:11 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]