collapse
Join us to help support Bowhunting

Author Topic: crossbow use  (Read 9891 times)

Offline Tobinator

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
  • Groups: NA
Re: crossbow use
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2015, 07:56:41 AM »
I'm hunting for the first time in decades.  Also, hunting for the first time in WA and first time using crossbow this Sept 2015.  My co-worker and his buddy are going bow hunting and asked if I wanted to join them.  I have had arthritis for 32 years and have had both elbows and knees replaced.  I can't hike too far and plan to find a spot and sit all morning while my hunting partner hikes around the area.  I agree, the crossbow is heavy and cumbersome, and I haven't even used it in the real world yet.  After reading some of the posts it sounds like it's not going to be easy for me.  I think I'll be staying out of heaving brush and steep terrain.

Offline h20hunter

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2015, 08:03:20 AM »
Better than sitting at home!

Good luck, welcome to the site, and keep us posted with some pics and stories of the hunt.
Yes, my FJ is pink, I'm all about Team Jacob, beer is not for the horses nor is whiskey for the men, they are both for me.

Offline STIKNSTRINGBOW

• Virtual Campfire
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
    • https://www.facebook.com/stiknstring.bow
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2015, 09:42:09 AM »
I'm hunting for the first time in decades.  Also, hunting for the first time in WA and first time using crossbow this Sept 2015.  My co-worker and his buddy are going bow hunting and asked if I wanted to join them.  I have had arthritis for 32 years and have had both elbows and knees replaced.  I can't hike too far and plan to find a spot and sit all morning while my hunting partner hikes around the area.  I agree, the crossbow is heavy and cumbersome, and I haven't even used it in the real world yet.  After reading some of the posts it sounds like it's not going to be easy for me.  I think I'll be staying out of heaving brush and steep terrain.

Good excuse to get a tree stand.

When I was a new hunter a friend of mines dad was the only way we could get to the woods.
He would drive us to the end of a road, way up on top and tell us he would pick us up on the bottom in a few hours...
Mike and I would get out and walk game trails that left the road, but found most of them crossed the road in different places on the way down, and usually would end up meeting our ride somewhere along the way...
Several times his dad would be waiting for us with a deer/elk.

If you have a comfortable seat in a good spot, having a few guys walking around is a great way to be hunting without having to bust your...
The mountains are calling and I must go."
- John Muir
"I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order."
- John Burroughs
NASP Certified Basic Archery Instructor
NASP Certified Basic Archery Instructor Trainer

Offline fastcrazyhurt

• Pilgrim
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2015, 12:49:48 PM »
I just started the last few years with archery and actually only started hunting with it this year. Many of the hunters in my group are older and can't bear to even pull the bow back anymore so they just stay at camp. a couple others have health issues and were talking about trying to be able to get a disability permit for crossbow.

I like the idea of seniors getting to use crossbows. and if that's to loose of a term then at least the ones with true disability where they can't use a compound or traditional. because most of them used archery from the beginning and love the sport and being in the rut so the other seasons are not what they want to hunt. they are archery hunters and using a crossbow would let them continue to be active in the sport they love using the time they love to hunt.

I'm new and they are teaching me. but i see why you fall in love with archery. the closeness to the game and the times you get to hunt are excellent. it's to me already the ultimate season to hunt. i just wish i could enjoy it more with the old timers that cannot do it anymore.

Offline emac

• Virtual Campfire
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2015, 01:05:09 PM »
You can if you have a disability. You just need to go to a Dr. Go through a bunch of test have him fill out the paperwork that you get from Wdfw and then return to them and then wait to here back to see if you qualify

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Offline popeshawnpaul

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
    • http://www.facebook.com/smccully
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2015, 09:28:00 AM »
Getting old isn't the same as having a disability.  That being said, modern bows that pull 40 lbs will kill any animal in WA.  I know 13 year old females that hunt with a setup like that.  There is a time when we just have to hang the bow up.  Being able to physically do it is part of the sport.  Opening up archery to crossbows isn't what most bowhunters want.  Myself and others hunt with a camera in September and enjoy the season and bugling of bulls.  That's another option. 

Offline blindluck

• Longhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2015, 09:20:01 AM »
The few people I know with crossbows dont ever practice, they have sighted in and that has been it. My guess is if they ever have the shot opportunity they will more than likely miss or make a bad shot due to not ever practicing.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2015, 09:47:10 AM »
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

* Recent Topics

Stolen camera!!! by Jellymon
[Today at 01:33:32 AM]

Blacktail food plot by fishnfur
[Today at 12:26:33 AM]

Trapping Marten by JakeLand
[Today at 12:07:02 AM]

Idaho Archery Elk in Pioneer Zone by spin05
[Yesterday at 11:53:24 PM]

Dealing with backyard poop by h2ofowlr
[Yesterday at 11:02:07 PM]

Elk deer by Kylew
[Yesterday at 11:01:01 PM]

Cougar Research from Alberta by TommyH
[Yesterday at 10:56:18 PM]

Otter by fatslinger
[Yesterday at 10:38:52 PM]

Prime rib prep question?? by DaveMonti
[Yesterday at 10:28:50 PM]

It has Started by JWEBB
[Yesterday at 10:27:33 PM]

US optics Anti cant bubble level $60 shipped by freezerfull
[Yesterday at 10:22:46 PM]

V Tac padded 2 point sling with quick detach swivels a $40 shipped by freezerfull
[Yesterday at 10:16:58 PM]

WTS - .300 Weatherby Magnum Mark V by KMAC3
[Yesterday at 10:14:15 PM]

FS- Magpul PMAG SR25/LR-308 Ar-10 mags by freezerfull
[Yesterday at 10:13:23 PM]

Keegan Wilder fundraiser auction #16 .22 mag ammo from Ghost Hunter by jkthomps
[Yesterday at 10:13:22 PM]

FS- Magpul STR mil spec diameter stock black $50 by freezerfull
[Yesterday at 10:08:22 PM]

FS- Geissele SSA-E trigger $170 tyd by freezerfull
[Yesterday at 10:05:57 PM]

For Sale- KUIU ICON PRO 5200/1850 PACK by RIVERRAT
[Yesterday at 09:47:51 PM]

Question new muzzleloader, won't fire by Magnum_Willys
[Yesterday at 09:43:11 PM]

Keegan Wilder fundraiser auction #17 Custom bird feeder from Ghost Hunter by Pinetar
[Yesterday at 09:39:47 PM]