collapse
Double U Hunting Supply Bearpaw Outfitters, Quality Hunts for over 30 Years

Author Topic: A question on backcountry bears  (Read 1629 times)

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+21)
  • Legend
  • Groups: WSB RMGA NRA RMEF BHA
Re: A question on backcountry bears
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2017, 05:38:08 PM »
Thereís that I guess.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Calvin Rayborn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2017, 05:38:24 PM »
P.S. My attitude is dead serious when I discuss dangerous game with the "puffy chests" (good one mtn muley!  ;) )...tell 'em to "Stay safe out there!" and that I'm OFFICIALLY LICENSED with the Department of Fish and Wildlife...At that point their inbred love of authority and being dominated kicks in and they typically respond with "WOW!" or are left speechless in a state of shock and awe as I continue moseying.   8)
what are you doing to incite the people just cruising along outdoors? ive had enough run ins to make odds, that the mere sight of a rifle doesnt yield these results..

Very legit question. I've ran into dozens of hikers while hunting with a rifle and literally never had a problem...

:chuckle:  incite...  :chuckle: You guys obviously don't hunt anywhere near the Southwest part of the State! I grew-up South of St. Helens, Gifford Pinchot NF Area. These people have some freaking agenda or something (usually weekend hiker warriors from the Portland Metro area and members or the BFRO - the BigFoot Researchers Organization...I kid you not  :P). Lots of Sierra Club "nature hikes" going on as well.  They WILL stop and question you if you seem out of place with their way of thinking (1940's Nazi Germany ish??). They HATE firearms and Buffalo Check with a passion, and any other vehicle than a Subaru. They believe that YOU are out to destroy THEIR pristine nature and slaughter everything in sight, including their beloved, mythical creature named Bambi (have gotten the "you gonna kill Bambi or something" on more than one occasion). I've had them actually hit me with sticks when I was just passing through on my trail bike. I challenge any one of you to hit the Tarbell Trail for a Spring hunt and NOT have a run in!

Judge not, lest ye be judged by a Portlander, guys! Keep Portland Weird!    :tup:

I put 100+ miles on my boots this past summer and fall looking for a creature a lot more magical and mystical than a deer outside the GPNF. Talked to lots of hikers. Zero issues.
Well I hike about 10 miles a day on peak seasons and have the missing toenails to prove it! Through all that bushwhacking, I have yet to personally experience an encounter with Sasquatch. That doesnít mean that he doesnít exist or that others haven't had run-ins with him, does it?  :)

Offline Calvin Rayborn

• Scout
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2017, 05:41:05 PM »
Thereís that I guess.

On second thought after the toenail comment, maybe I am just scarier looking!  :mgun:  :chuckle:
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 06:10:49 PM by Calvin Rayborn »

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+21)
  • Legend
  • Groups: WSB RMGA NRA RMEF BHA
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2017, 05:59:59 PM »
Itís not safe to make any sort of Sasquatch assumptions or accusations on huntwa. You must be new.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Calvin Rayborn

• Scout
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2017, 06:03:46 PM »
Itís not safe to make any sort of Sasquatch assumptions or accusations on huntwa. You must be new.

Exactly - That's why I keep an open mind as noted in my comment on the beast. Did I make a Bigfoot assumption or accusation? This talk to text doesn't always work the way I would like

Offline Dan-o

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2017, 06:10:10 PM »
We have a very special thread here about Sasquatch......   where we deal harshly with skeptics.     :yike:
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline Calvin Rayborn

• Scout
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2017, 06:13:04 PM »
We have a very special thread here about Sasquatch......   where we deal harshly with skeptics.     :yike:

Original comment: Well I hike about 10 miles a day on peak seasons and have the missing toenails to prove it! Through all that bushwhacking, I have yet to personally experience an encounter with Sasquatch. That doesnít mean that he doesnít exist or that others haven't had run-ins with him, does it?  :)

---Again, did I make any Sasquatch assumptions or accusations? I must be new to this thing called reading...

Offline Calvin Rayborn

• Scout
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2017, 06:16:04 PM »
Oh, I get it - The BFRO reference... You guys need to leave poor Sasquatch alone! What did he ever do to you?

Offline Dan-o

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2017, 06:17:57 PM »
Oh, I get it - The BFRO reference... You guys need to leave poor Sasquatch alone! What did he ever do to you?

LOL dude. 

There's a 500-something page Bigfoot thread that proves beyond the shadow of a doubt that b igfoot may or may not exist.   
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline Calvin Rayborn

• Scout
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2017, 06:28:05 PM »

LOL dude. 

There's a 500-something page Bigfoot thread that proves beyond the shadow of a doubt that b igfoot may or may not exist.   

Ahhhh!!! That's awesome! Shoot me a link if you can! Spent many a late hour chewin' the fat with work buddies over the mystical yeti!

Offline Dan-o

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2017, 09:05:02 PM »
I can't link it from my phone, but I did bump it up. 

551 pages chock full of Bigfoot lore. 

Look for it under "virtual campfire".   Thread title, conveniently, is "Bigfoot".   

You'll learn stuff you can't unlearn.   
I love the BFRO!!!

Offline aaronoto

• Virtual Campfire
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2017, 09:46:12 PM »
I use hiking trails to get in, some of them very popular trails.  I like to go up super early in the morning to avoid people and be glassing shortly after the sun comes up.  You'll run into most of the people on the way down.  Reactions will very greatly, although I would say most interactions have been positive - even the ones where I could tell they didn't necessarily approve. 

Offline Dan-o

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2017, 12:11:07 AM »
I agree.   

When I run into hikers I smile and wave. 

I've never been screamed at or whatever. 
I love the BFRO!!!

* Recent Topics

New Dodge 2017 3500 BigHorn Opinion? by Miles
[Today at 03:03:06 AM]

.223 by b23
[Today at 01:00:21 AM]

Bullet choice question by Magnum_Willys
[Today at 12:16:41 AM]

Bear Kinda blonde by bowhunterforever
[Yesterday at 11:24:07 PM]

325 WSM?..... by Biggerhammer
[Yesterday at 11:22:43 PM]

My .45 Raptor AR10 barrel was delivered today. by Biggerhammer
[Yesterday at 11:19:41 PM]

Glass bedding question by Biggerhammer
[Yesterday at 11:15:16 PM]

Otter by Kit Carson
[Yesterday at 11:14:17 PM]

OnX Map Hunt chip update by biggfish
[Yesterday at 11:02:11 PM]

300 WSM vs 300 Win mag by Biggerhammer
[Yesterday at 10:53:29 PM]

Looking for advice on a scope for a 22lr by DJ_Mack
[Yesterday at 10:40:10 PM]

.300 BLK load thread by hunter399
[Yesterday at 10:27:54 PM]

Jim Findlay Memorial Match by mountainman
[Yesterday at 10:26:01 PM]

BC Spring Black Bear Hunts. Ambush Outfitters by Kent Hunter
[Yesterday at 10:25:06 PM]

Colorado elk units by mtmn35rem5
[Yesterday at 10:19:37 PM]

New binos advice by Mtnwalker
[Yesterday at 09:48:33 PM]

First Lite vs Sitka vs Kuiu by thinkingman
[Yesterday at 09:33:45 PM]

Heads up, Incoming BAD legislation, rattle the cages POLITELY in Olympia by Special T
[Yesterday at 09:21:37 PM]

ISO: Toyota 4Runner by Mtnwalker
[Yesterday at 09:15:07 PM]

FS Outdoorsman's Optics Hunter Pack by Wilderness Pack Specialties by aorams
[Yesterday at 09:07:33 PM]