collapse
For when you only get one shot! FREE SHIPPING ON ORDERS OVER $99.00!

Author Topic: First hunting rifle for a kid  (Read 1024 times)

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Re: First hunting rifle for a kid
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2017, 05:49:50 PM »
Myself and two brothers started with BB guns, then a shared Benjamin pellet gun, then .22s, then my pop bought us a shared 20G/.22 over under Savage.  That was the coolest gun ever to us.  Yes, its a hammer gun but with the flick of the thumb on the hammer selector switch, you could select either .22 or 20G.  Some kind of grouse gun I tell ya  ;).  Keep the hammer switch on 20G when walking the grouse trails... one flushes, hammer back, get your bead on the bird... boom.  Dumb grouse wants to sit on the trail clucking?  Flick the hammer switch to .22 and shoot it in the neck... Loved that gun.  Sorry, diverted from your center fire question a bit.     

Edit:  Oh, and 50 brazillion+2  NW MT gophers met their fate at the hands of that formidable weapon  ;)

« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 06:00:38 PM by WapitiTalk1 »
Darton Archery Maverick II
"Sir, left side Sir!" "Are you sure Private Pyle?"
Elknut Field Staff

Offline Buckhunter28

• Hunter
  • Groups: Buckhunter28
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2017, 07:50:03 PM »
My first hunting rifle was a lever action '64 Winchester Model 88, I loved that gun and still do, but it's a safe King now as I've purchased other guns and that one is more a family heirloom, passed from my great-grandmother to my father to me. But my number one pick in an entry level, I'd give a definite plus one to the 6.5 creed over .243, or any other smaller, low recoil calibers, but I will admit, I am biased towards that round  :chuckle: :dunno: few reasons why: there are a lot more ethical load options with the 6.5 over .243, now I have never owned a .243, but the bullet weights don't get too high with them, you max out in the low 100s. With the 6.5, you can get much higher bullet weights, and push them at better velocities. Next thing I would give to the 6.5 is that it is lights out accurate, and, in my opinion, ethical out to a much farther range and more applicable to a variety of species, which will give your kid room to grow into it as a shooter. They won't outgrow the gun when they are ready to hunt elk or take some longer shots! Lastly is the BC you get with some of the higher weight bullets, they are just phenomenal for a smaller caliber. Then, factor all this in with its not-so-bad recoil, and I think you've got a great gun to start your kid out on that they can use throughout their entire hunting career. Just my  :twocents: :tup: Congrats on being a soon to be father!

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Virtual Campfire
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2017, 07:56:36 PM »
6.5 creed is a great caliber but the recoil of a 130+gr bullet over a larger powder charge creates significantly more recoil than a .243.  If the child can handle it then absolutely go bigger than 6mm but there is absolutely zero unethical qualities in a 6mm.  My youth hunters along with friends and myself have taken many critters with the .243 and most have been spectacular bang flops.  BC is a way over rated thing for about 98% of shooters.  Vast majority of people will never shoot far enough to take advantage of a higher BC bullet.  Especially at ranges that a child will be shooting :twocents:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2017, 11:03:39 AM »
I started my Sons on a Marlin 22, made them load one at a time.
Then Winchester (youth) Model 70 in .243WSSM for dear and elk.
A cheap Stevens breach load single shot 12 gauge for grouse.
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline JDHasty

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Wake me when you need me.
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2017, 11:26:56 AM »
Myself and two brothers started with BB guns, then a shared Benjamin pellet gun, then .22s, then my pop bought us a shared 20G/.22 over under Savage.  That was the coolest gun ever to us.  Yes, its a hammer gun but with the flick of the thumb on the hammer selector switch, you could select either .22 or 20G.  Some kind of grouse gun I tell ya  ;).  Keep the hammer switch on 20G when walking the grouse trails... one flushes, hammer back, get your bead on the bird... boom.  Dumb grouse wants to sit on the trail clucking?  Flick the hammer switch to .22 and shoot it in the neck... Loved that gun.  Sorry, diverted from your center fire question a bit.     

Edit:  Oh, and 50 brazillion+2  NW MT gophers met their fate at the hands of that formidable weapon  ;)
Have that same gun, and man is it cool.  It would be sweet if they made a 223 or 243 over a 12 tho!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

The Truth is like Poetry, and most people hate Poetry

Online Calvin Rayborn

• Scout
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2017, 09:10:47 PM »
Ain't nuthin' wrong with a '94! First centerfire as a kid. Old man put a pillow on little Cal's shoulder for the first shot (steel buttplate), after that it was lock and load till the cows came home! If you can't handle a '94 hammer, you got nowhere near the strength or dexterity to be fooling with a firearm.

Offline PA BEN

• LINEMAN
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2017, 06:13:54 PM »
I have 5 daughters each shot their first deer w a Winchester youth ranger model 70 in 7mm-08.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 06:21:00 PM by PA BEN »

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Sourdough
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2017, 09:54:09 PM »
Rugar compact 7mm-08 was sonís first.  Threw on brake to eliminate kick. Earmuffs mandatory though.  He could drive tacks with it at age 8 at 100 and shot well out past 500.

Online Tjkride

• Pilgrim
    • TJ Kenney
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2018, 11:40:46 AM »
CZ makes wonderful blued and wood stocked youth guns in 7.62x39. The 527 is acailable with irons too. Cheap for lots of practice and low recoil. With good projectiles its plenty for deer sized game inside 200 yards.
Practical accuracy and a packable rifle.
Blued steel and walnut is always better.

Online Wingin it

• Off-Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2018, 02:38:06 PM »
My vote is for the 7mm-08 with 120 grain light recoil rounds to get started. I think the 6.5 creedmoor is also a solid option.

Offline Jpmiller

• Off-Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2018, 07:04:45 PM »
My dad got me a model 70 in 308. It was a little big for me and did intimidate me the first year. I remember driving to the range and getting too scared to shoot it and being embarrassed and crying the whole way home. He bought a bunch of add on recoil reducing stuff for it and loaded me some lower recoil loads but that embarrassed me even more. I got over it the second year and it's still my only hunting rifle over twenty years later but I could see how it very easily could have made me want to stop shooting and hunting.

Each kid is different but I think when my boys are a little older I will start them on a real low recoil rifle before I buy they a "forever" gun.

I still love the rifle and my dad for the record  :chuckle:

* Recent Topics