collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Wyoming Elk  (Read 10302 times)

Offline Bigshooter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
  • High Wide And Heavy
Re: Wyoming Elk
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2018, 01:39:28 PM »
So if this is dumb I apologize but I'm having a hard time communicating with my family out there to find what unit he typically hunts. If he can buy a general otc elk tag as a resident can I apply for a general elk tag as a nonresident and hunt wherever he is or since I'm non resident I need to specify a unit to apply?

The general tag let's residents and nonresidents hunt the same units.  It is the same tag.  But nonresidents have to draw it. 
Welcome to liberal America, where the truth is condemned and facts are ignored so as not to "offend" anyone

"Borders, language, culture."

Offline Jpmiller

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2018, 05:50:08 PM »
So if this is dumb I apologize but I'm having a hard time communicating with my family out there to find what unit he typically hunts. If he can buy a general otc elk tag as a resident can I apply for a general elk tag as a nonresident and hunt wherever he is or since I'm non resident I need to specify a unit to apply?

The general tag let's residents and nonresidents hunt the same units.  It is the same tag.  But nonresidents have to draw it.

Thanks. Can I draw a cow/calf tag without drawing a general tag? I'm only going to be able to hunt a few days during a visit to see family and I want the best odds of driving home with meat.

I'm probably going to have to call fish and game at some point these regs confuse the heck out of me still.

Offline High Climber

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2018, 06:55:08 PM »
I’ll be in with 8 points... got it narrowed down to 5 or 6 different units. Wyo is tough to figure in my point range.  Good luck to all In the draws  :tup:

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2018, 09:10:02 AM »
The muddy waters are starting to clear up for me, thank you guys.  So can I put in for my hard to draw type 1 unit 62 as my first choice, then do a type 9 easier draw unit as my second? And if drawn for my second choice, keep my 10 points? 
Yes
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2018, 09:11:34 AM »
Yes, if you draw a nonresident general elk license you can hunt any unit he can as a resident with a general OTC license.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 09:18:55 AM by DOUBLELUNG »
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2018, 09:19:58 AM »

Thanks. Can I draw a cow/calf tag without drawing a general tag? I'm only going to be able to hunt a few days during a visit to see family and I want the best odds of driving home with meat.

I'm probably going to have to call fish and game at some point these regs confuse the heck out of me still.
Yes, you can draw a reduced price cow/calf license without drawing a full price tag.

Offline Indian Summer

• Business Sponsor
  • Tracker
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2018, 10:02:09 AM »
I would go for the guaranteed General license for a couple reasons. First you have enough points to get it in the Regular draw so it’s roughly half the price. Second it’s versatile. You can hunt over 50 units with plenty of places to get away from other hunters. But the biggest reason is this: Why hunt a unit you can rarely if ever go back to? Instead look at every elk hunt as an investment toward future hunts. Learn an area you can go back to as often as possible. Nothing is more beneficial to consistent success than knowing your area like the back of your hand.

No matter where you go in Wyoming there will be less pressure than in most other states. So draw that tag, go hunt, and start planning your next hunt because you will want to go back as soon as possible. Good luck!
Pass It On!

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2018, 12:09:59 PM »
The muddy waters are starting to clear up for me, thank you guys.  So can I put in for my hard to draw type 1 unit 62 as my first choice, then do a type 9 easier draw unit as my second? And if drawn for my second choice, keep my 10 points?

I wouldn't call 62 a hard to draw area although the success rate is 64%, 64% & 65% the past 3 years. Has 300-320 bulls in it with an exceptional 340 Last year there was a 100% draw for people with 9 points on special lisc draw for that area. So if you do indeed want to spend all you point on 62 then go for it.
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline Indian Summer

• Business Sponsor
  • Tracker
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2018, 02:37:06 PM »
I haven’t looked at the odds but if it took 9 to draw I highly doubt he will draw it with 3!
Pass It On!

Offline Craig

• Sourdough
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2018, 02:42:57 PM »
I will give it a shot this year. Going in with max points. Narrowed down to 3-4 units.

Offline cem3434

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+29)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA, MDF, RMEF, NWTF, PF, RGS, WSF, WSTA
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2018, 09:38:50 AM »
I have only bought points for WY and never applied for elk.  I have 6 points and want to keep building, so I'm looking at 2nd choice hunts to keep my points. Are all 2nd choice hunts random draws and how do you find those draw odds?
The best friend a guy could have asked for. RIP chasing pheasants in heaven Denali girl.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2018, 09:49:29 AM »
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline Indian Summer

• Business Sponsor
  • Tracker
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2018, 07:15:00 PM »
No sir not all second choice picks will be drawn by random only. There are units where first choice applications don’t take all of the licenses and they go over to 2nd choice apps. Not so long ago we used to pick a tough draw for a first choice hoping for a random draw tag and get our general license as a second choice guaranteed. I sure miss those days!
Pass It On!

Offline CaNINE

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2018, 07:22:19 AM »
Can you apply for a general tag as a second choice and still keep your preference points? I'm assuming that isn't allowed.
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

Proverbs 12:27

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2018, 07:34:58 AM »
The Wyoming bio I talked to at the sheep show in Reno said you'll almost never get drawn for the second choice?  Anyone draw second choice often?  He also said I have a 50% chance at drawing my unit 62 elk tag this year, 50% minimum, could be higher. 
“In common with”..... not so much!!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand