collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: New to WA  (Read 1311 times)

Offline Steelhead51

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
New to WA
« on: June 14, 2019, 05:21:03 PM »
Moved to Ridgefield last November from Missouri. Would really like to take my teenage sons out elk hunting this year for firearm hunt; we're not new to hunting but have no idea where to begin out here for elk. I know I'd like to target Roosevelt with a general tag in a western GMU. I've also read that the western GMUs are heavily hunted. Any suggestions for where to go our first year here would be greatly appreciated. We're also not opposed to putting the work in so that we can improve our odds of seeing something. Thanks in advance!

Offline flyfishWA

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Scout
Re: New to WA
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2019, 05:23:06 PM »
find some public land that it takes some hiking to get in to and do some scouting to see if there are elk or at least elk sign in the area. the farther from roads, the less hunting pressure  :twocents:
"speak softly and carry a big stick" Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Steelhead51

• Pilgrim
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2019, 06:03:26 PM »
Thanks for the advice. Are there GMUs more difficult to access that discourage hunters not willing to take on the terrain? Not completely familiar with the area...trying to be but there's a lot to explore. Thanks!

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2019, 06:46:22 PM »
When the terrain does get more difficult, the elk tend to break into smaller groups.
Have you considered timber company permits or do you prefer public land?

Offline Alan K

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • University of Idaho Alumni
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2019, 06:49:48 PM »
For elk there aren't really places that folks won't go.  You will generally see fewer people the further from roads you go, but don't plan on having anywhere to yourself.

If you're just after getting into elk and experiencing elk hunting as opposed to hung up on getting a big bull, I'd look at Weyerhaeuser's St. Helens permit.  Not too far from you and you'll be able to get into them. Then its just a matter of lucking into a herd with a legal bull. 

:twocents:

Offline Steelhead51

• Pilgrim
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2019, 07:02:20 PM »
I need to look into the timber company permits. Like I mentioned, we're hunters but this is a totally new experience for us so I'm pretty ignorant at this point. It's more about the experience with my sons than anything else, so just getting into a herd with a legal bull this first year is my main objective. I'll take a look at Weyerhaeuser... thanks guys I really appreciate the advice.

Offline gee_unit360

• Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2019, 08:46:11 PM »
Lewis River 560 is a decent unit that’s fairly close to you. Decent amount of elk. Get onyx maps on your phone head up the Lewis river out of woodland. You’ll be able to see your unit on the left side of the road using onyx maps.

Offline bkaech

• Scout
  • Groups: BHA, RMEF, NRA
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2019, 08:49:22 PM »
I’m against buying the timber company permits for myself, but a lot of that is a bias as a lifelong Washingtonian that doesn’t like the change of having to pay for what has free for decades. The plus side to those permits is the ability to drive around and check out lots of clear cuts. Clear cuts provide a lot of good food for Rosie’s, and deer. The down side to permits is the cost.

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2019, 08:59:48 PM »
Have you thought about what it is like to be in the rain all day, every day?  Need some decent gear.  Many guys can't take the steady rain for more than a couple days, it's a real mental drain for some.

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2019, 09:05:30 PM »
Have you thought about what it is like to be in the rain all day, every day?  Need some decent gear.  Many guys can't take the steady rain for more than a couple days, it's a real mental drain for some.

Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2019, 09:20:33 PM »
Elk rifle season is looney tunes in WA but there are elk to be killed.  Coming from the Show Me State, the deer hunting on the W side of WA (Blacktails) will be a step or 10 backwards from what you’re used to but they are a blast to match wits with.  Best of luck in your teams hunting adventures this fall.
Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline Steelhead51

• Pilgrim
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2019, 11:52:32 PM »
Thanks for all of the great feedback guys! I've never joined a forum before so wasn't sure what to expect, but you've all been very helpful. To your comments about rain and having the appropriate gear, that's definitely not something the boys and I are used to dealing with. I think I'd take the snow and brutal cold back home over being soaked to the bone! Looking forward to getting out in the timber with my sons; that's what it's all about. An elk would be icing on the cake... thanks again!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal