collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: GP Medium Tent Restoration  (Read 1811 times)

Offline Geoffphrye123456

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
GP Medium Tent Restoration
« on: July 12, 2019, 09:00:57 AM »
I bought a tent. fixed it. Gonna use it...

I searched all over for links, pictures, manuals, etc. I wanted to take this space here to document my journey from a pile of canvas to a great big hunting tent!

I picked up the tent off of OfferUp for about $100. It was just the canvas and a couple of ropes. I needed new poles, ropes, patches, zippers, etc...

I found a user manual at LiberatedManuals.com. It had some great information about the length and material for the replacement poles.
5'-8" for the side poles, 6'-2" for the door poles, 10'-3" for the two center poles. And detailed step by step setup instructions.

I hung the tent in my shop last winter to begin repairing the rips and tears using a SpeedyStitch handheld sewing tool.

I noticed that few of the corner brackets were broken or missing. I got my dad involved and he fabricated some spot-on replacement parts for me to install.
For the small holes, I used Shoe Goo and canvas patch I cut into circles to avoid sharp corners that could catch on things and rip loose over time.

The tent has four corners, each corner originally had zippers, 3 of my corner zippers were broken. I cut the zippers off, used a grommet tool to install 8 grommets up each corner to attach together around the backside of the corner posts.

STOVE:
Big tents deserve big stoves right!?
My dad made us a 55 Gallon wood stove using a stove kit available online. 6" pipe completed the build for a great big stove that will keep us warm this winter.

If you have stories, pics of your tents, or just want to ask questions. reply!!!
Trying to figure out how to add pictures... pls hold :)
 Jeff

Offline Buckhunter24

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
Re: GP Medium Tent Restoration
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2019, 09:16:51 AM »
We use a small one for hunting, the thing gets cooking at night. Doesnt matter how cold it is outside it is never an issue inside!

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2019, 09:43:45 AM »
Nicely done mister!  That will serve you and your hunting camp well for years to come.  It is however, giving me flashbacks of setting those big ol' things up in the Army years ago  :o
Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline Woodchuck

• GO TEAM!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Explorer
  • HuntWA Woodblock
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2019, 09:49:28 AM »
Nicely done mister!  That will serve you and your hunting camp well for years to come.  It is however, giving me flashbacks of setting those big ol' things up in the Army years ago  :o
:yeah: Remind me to tell you a funny story sometime about putting 3 of those up on a sandy beach in Puerto Rico.   :o
Antlered rabbit tastes like chicken

Inuendo, wasn't he an Italian proctoligist?

Offline follow maggie

• Frontiersman
  • Just me, just being a nomad
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2019, 11:47:27 AM »
Wow. Great job, you saved a pile of cash

Offline Geoffphrye123456

• Pilgrim
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2019, 12:52:29 PM »
Wow. Great job, you saved a pile of cash

RIGHT!?!?!
No one single item for this cost too much, all combined I'm into it a couple hundred more for ropes, poles, etc...

Offline whacker1

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2019, 02:42:34 PM »
I envisioned doing the same. I have one, mostly complete and only a few tears in it to be fixed.  If anyone is interested I would give it away for the same $100 you paid.

I don't want to thread jack, but there is a certain appeal to these, so I wanted to make sure that those of you who knew that your passion is not alone.

I will never get to mine with too many other projects. 

Congrats on getting yours to completion.

Offline ghosthunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2019, 08:47:59 PM »
 Nice
That is a big tent.

GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal