collapse

Author Topic: DNR Lands Requiring A Discover Pass  (Read 43965 times)

Offline stuckalot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Re: DNR Lands Requiring A Discover Pass
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2011, 10:16:17 PM »
Thanks Tex, Sorta!~I do believe that all of the access points to the Colockom are signed that a discover pass is required just to get to the "wildlife area"??? So if I'm going to recreate (sp) in the wildlife area can I tow my jeep behind my truck and camper with only a discover pass for the truck or does the jeep need one too?  Goat screw is an understatement!
I am free only because thousands of brave Americans have given their lives for me...

Offline Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Old Salt
  • Semper Primus
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2011, 03:26:43 PM »
This is a goat-screw...
Do you have the appropriate pass for that?

Nawww...not yet.  But I am building points... :tup:
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.  That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Offline bigtex

• Virtual Campfire
  • Old Salt
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2011, 09:50:35 AM »
Thanks Tex, Sorta!~I do believe that all of the access points to the Colockom are signed that a discover pass is required just to get to the "wildlife area"??? So if I'm going to recreate (sp) in the wildlife area can I tow my jeep behind my truck and camper with only a discover pass for the truck or does the jeep need one too?  Goat screw is an understatement!

Well here's the thing, you need a pass for parking and also operating on the state lands. So if you just have one pass and have the vehicle parked on state lands while out driving the jeep with the pass then obviously the other vehicle does not have the pass and could be subject to a citation. So both your truck and jeep need the pass.

Offline Soper

• Pilgrim
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2011, 03:17:08 AM »
Please voice your concern to your state representative. This evening I received a email from my state rep. He said he is upset as well over this and next legislative session he and other will bring this to the table for change. To clarify this pass requirement was drafted and voted by just a few people on the "ways and means" committee . Our state representatives had no voice in the matter.

Offline winshooter88

• Virtual Campfire
  • Longhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2011, 05:33:19 AM »
To add to the discussion. According to the maps from the Kittitas county website, Colockum pass is a county road. The Discover pass is not required on county roads as per the Discover Pass website. So theoretically you can access the Colockum Wildlife Area via Colockum Pass road and only need the pass that you got with your hunting license, not the Discover pass. Or drive all the way over Colockum Pass without stopping on the Kittitas side without having a Discover Pass. Personally I see room for allot of mistakes and confusion about where the Discover Pass is and isn't needed. So you will need to know what road you are on and also who owns that road to know what pass you need! Your government at work.  :bash:

Offline fireweed

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Longhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2011, 10:07:06 AM »
All this confusion stems from the DNR more so than the WDFW or even state parks.  Go the the Washington state Legislature website, to TVWA and listen to the old meetings on the Pass.  Everyone pretty much figured it would work like the NW forest pass and for PARKING in developed sites like campgrounds, trailheads, picnic areas--not an entry fee.  Even Rep. Brian Blake who helped sponsor the bill believed it was for developed sites.  The problem was the wording  "designated recreation areas". Sounds like trailheads to me, but to the DNR it means any land they "designate" on paper--with or without developed facilities.   Goldmark needs to be a one-term land commissioner for this double-cross.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2011, 11:35:48 AM »
All this confusion stems from the DNR more so than the WDFW or even state parks.  Go the the Washington state Legislature website, to TVWA and listen to the old meetings on the Pass.  Everyone pretty much figured it would work like the NW forest pass and for PARKING in developed sites like campgrounds, trailheads, picnic areas--not an entry fee.  Even Rep. Brian Blake who helped sponsor the bill believed it was for developed sites.  The problem was the wording  "designated recreation areas". Sounds like trailheads to me, but to the DNR it means any land they "designate" on paper--with or without developed facilities.   Goldmark needs to be a one-term land commissioner for this double-cross.

:yeah:

It should only be "developed" sites. Trailheads, campgrounds, picnic areas, and such. For those types of things there should be a fee. But just for logging areas that were not specifically developed and are not maintained for the purpose of recreation, why is the pass required?

Offline Curly

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2011, 12:39:57 PM »

It should only be "developed" sites. Trailheads, campgrounds, picnic areas, and such. For those types of things there should be a fee. But just for logging areas that were not specifically developed and are not maintained for the purpose of recreation, why is the pass required?

:yeah: X10000
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((>` ><((((>. ><((((>.><((((>

Offline bigtex

• Virtual Campfire
  • Old Salt
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2011, 11:41:15 PM »

I have an issue with this statement.

Section three of the bill states: "A discover pass is required for any motor vehicle to park or operate on any recreation site or lands,". So it says right there in the bill PARK OR OPERATE. To me it sounds like Blake is passing blame, or didn't read the bill as it was passed.

Also, in regards to the DNR designated recreation sites, the bill lists DNR areas where it is required. ""Recreation site or lands" means....department of natural resources developed or designated recreation areas, sites, trailheads, and parking areas." Had the intention of the bill only been to be DNR trailheads and parking areas they should have only included the trailheads and parking areas and not included the developed or designated recreation areas because that basically opened up a lot of lot for DNR to designate.

I have a lot of issues with legislators who pass bills then go back and say "hey that's not how it's suppose to be!". Well maybe you should have written the bill better!. This is NOT DNR, WDFW, or Parks fault for interpreting the language of the bill, if the leg only wanted trailheads they should have only said trailheads, and if they only wanted it for parking they should have made it only required for parking and not operating!

Offline Elk whack master

• Scout
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2011, 12:50:28 AM »
This pass is making me so,so,soooooo................ :puke:
Take a back road!

Chew tobacco, chew tobacco, chew tobacco, SPIT !!!

Offline Raul Duke

• Longhunter
  • Team Maybe Next Time
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2011, 08:43:49 AM »
If you've got a fishing or hunting license, you're good to go on our (WDFW) lands. But if you're NOT a licensed fisher or hunter, OR if you plan to use State Parks or DNR lands, you'll need a Discover Pass................The penalty for not having a Discover Pass where required is $99, reduced to $59 if you provide proof of purchase of Pass to the court within 15 days after the notice of violation.

Fishing & hunting license dollars do NOT support State Parks and DNR -- that's why fishers & hunters who use those lands must buy the pass, too.

This is off ther FB page.   
I almost miss read it, and thought we (hunters) didn't need one.  :bash:
Coyote Madness 7 Stats:
Stands : 39
Kills : 3
Runners : 6
Misses : 5

Offline fireweed

• Longhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2011, 10:11:29 AM »
Here's another reason I think the whole intent of the pass was changed along the line from Parking to Operating.  Have you guys noticed folks driving around (even on state Hwy. and county roads) near DNR/DWF with those big hangtags off their mirrors.  According to the website that is how the pass is suppose to be displayed.  These big tags block alot of view of traffic and can't possibly be safe to "Opperate" with.   Wouldn't even be surprised if you could get a ticket for driving with them as an unsafe condition. If they truely would have been thinking operate all along, the pass would be a little sticker in the corner of the windshield.  (But, then again that could be the plan, make them required, but make them illegal!!! Double-dipping with fines).

Offline bigtex

• Virtual Campfire
  • Old Salt
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2011, 10:20:39 AM »
Here's another reason I think the whole intent of the pass was changed along the line from Parking to Operating.  Have you guys noticed folks driving around (even on state Hwy. and county roads) near DNR/DWF with those big hangtags off their mirrors.  According to the website that is how the pass is suppose to be displayed.  These big tags block alot of view of traffic and can't possibly be safe to "Opperate" with.   Wouldn't even be surprised if you could get a ticket for driving with them as an unsafe condition. If they truely would have been thinking operate all along, the pass would be a little sticker in the corner of the windshield.  (But, then again that could be the plan, make them required, but make them illegal!!! Double-dipping with fines).

The intent NEVER changed. I don't think you guys understand what I am saying. From day one the bill said that it is required to operate your vehicle on certain lands. This is not as if DNR and WDFW suddenly decided to drive on their lands that you need the pass.

But I do agree, I think there should be a sticker just like the sno-park pass.

Offline NWHydroprint

• Hunter
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2011, 08:10:41 PM »
Better yet get rid of the pass and make all WA departments learn to live within there budgets or layoff people like any other business. Instead of creating fees to fund their over spending.
NWH

Offline fireweed

• Longhunter
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2011, 11:06:19 AM »
It's interesting to go the the Washington State Legislature website and see the push-and-pull between the agencies and the legislature over the definition of "reacreation site and lands".  It starts very broad--basically anything the agencies say:
 "Recreation site or lands" means those areas of state-owned or managed lands designated by an agency where the discover pass or day-
 use permit is required.

Than after comments and concerns by legislators and public it changes to in the 1st substitute:
"Recreation site or lands" means a state park or any area
managed by an agency for outdoor recreation or fish and wildlife
conservation including water access areas, boat ramps, wildlife areas,
parking areas, roads, trailheads, and trails under ownership,
 management, lease, or control of the agency, or "public lands" as
 defined in RCW 79.02.010.

But this really didn't tighten the definition, so there was even still more push back to clarify that it was for developed sites: 2nd substitute bill
"Recreation site or lands" means a state park or fish and
 wildlife conservation sites including water access areas, boat ramps,
wildlife areas, parking areas, roads, and trailheads, or department of
natural resources developed or designated recreation areas, sites,
trailheads, and parking areas.

This is the language that passed. You can see the legislature and public comment is trying to limit the areas requiring a pass throughout the process. Afterall, If they wanted all state forests and all DNR lands to need a pass, why doesn't just say so???  I think the smoke and mirrors and wiggle room was intentional. So what did we get? What the agencies (especially the DNR) wanted all along, and what they first proposed: Basically anythere they say it's needed.

Offline washelkhunter

• Region 5 State Delegate #3
  • Frontiersman
  • Site sponsorhttp
  • Groups: TPE, NRA, RMEF, AST
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2012, 06:30:11 PM »
We are almost being labeled as criminals just for being alive and walking the earth :'(

Offline JJD

• Site Sponsor
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA, DU
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2012, 06:04:14 AM »
Better yet get rid of the pass and make all WA departments learn to live within there budgets or layoff people like any other business. Instead of creating fees to fund their over spending.
NWH
Spent most of my $$ on huntin, fishin & retrievin dogs, the rest I just pretty much wasted.

Offline danderson

• Hunter Education Instructor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2012, 07:17:06 AM »
   As far as I'm concerned when I buy a hunting licence, or fishing licence I just paid for the right  to use the national forests and DNR lands, the discover pass should be required for people that don't support the program through normal permits such as these, at this rate everytime an agency mismanages there spending there create a new pass mentality will be forced on us rather than fix the problem, that's usually bureaucratic fat cats being over paid and under worked.

Offline Gringo31

• Old Salt
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2012, 12:42:44 PM »
Was looking at their website and they still don't have it straight.  Two different maps saying two different things.  I'm mostly referring to the SE part of the state.

http://www.dnr.wa.gov/Publications/amp_rec_discover_pass_statewide_map.pdf

http://www.dnr.wa.gov/Publications/amp_rec_dnr_gmu_hunting.pdf

So....which one is it?????

We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
-Ronald Reagan

Offline RifleRidge

• Site Sponsor
  • Scout
« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2012, 08:14:42 AM »
I wonder how many people were sited for no pass on opening deer hunt weekend?..

:twocents:

Offline Huntbear

• I am a BAD Kitteh
  • Old Salt
  • Y.A.R. Jester aka Smart Ass
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1236486665
« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2012, 08:18:22 AM »
I have asked WDFW enforcement publicly (on their fb page) for a definitive answer on this , especially in the Central part of the state since it can be a patchwork of DNR, WDFW, Timber co., BLM, and other types of land....

NO answer back in 4 months....  and I gave them a gentle reminder 2 months ago, that I was still waiting for THEIR answer.
By my honorable conduct as a hunter let me give a good example and teach new hunters principles of honor, so that each new generation can show respect for their god, other hunters and the animals, and enjoy the dignity of the hunt.

Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'.

Offline Magnum40

• Pilgrim
« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2012, 12:43:13 PM »
Man, you guys that are for this pass are way off target.  We, like our Grandfathers, should never have to buy access to our public lands and should never be stopped by law enforcement only to be asked to present a pass.  I was a reserve officer during college and believe me I'm pro law enforcement but against a large controlling police state...this pass gives the government the ability to restrict your access and contact anyone without reasonable suspicion to see their pass.  This is not the country I want to leave my kids.

www.oathkeepers.org   
Just give me a shot is all I pray...my rifle and I will make the play!

Offline Curly

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2012, 02:43:27 PM »
Funny thing is, I was for a pass back when the idea first was floated out there.  But what I envisioned was a pass for the people who stay at DNR campgrounds or the people who ride their mountain bikes on the DNR trails and park at the trailheads.  It seemed like a good idea to get those people to pay toward the maintenance of those areas.

What they ended up with is a joke.  I am missing out on using a lot of good forest land in Capital Forest (which is not far from my house) because I refuse to pay the fee.  Requiring it on all DNR land is not right IMO.
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((>` ><((((>. ><((((>.><((((>

Offline motg9_6

• These animals are gods gift first before government's possessions. If it is illegal for a man to fend for himself then he can not be a man in his own right!
  • Longhunter
« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2012, 01:10:24 PM »
i personally refuse to buy one. remember when the access stewardship FIRST came out. you had to have it for wdfw and dnr lands. what changed. our prices on hunting keep going up. if they want to charge people for using MAINTAINED camping spot im all for that. just for land access its rediculous, what do we pay our taxes for then. they need to get off their A$$E$ and do their job correctly. balance the budget and live within their means, we have too.

Offline castor gitter

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Tracker
  • Groups: WSTA-life, NTA-life, NAHC-life, NRA-life, ITA..
« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2013, 11:16:41 AM »
 :twocents: for me is this.... I buy my licenses and tags, license my rigs, am law abiding, and they keep hiking prices up and adding new things like this to our fees. I can support the pass for campsites and improved areas, BUT not for those of us that buy all these licenses and tags already. I have major issues with the fact of needing to have it on the mirror while driving. Also to just need it for driving through areas! The state is making it so that if people want to enjoy the outdoors you need to be rich! They talk now of a higher fuel tax again even when ours is one of the highest in the country? That's another reason I don't believe we should have to pay to drive our own roads. I use to love this state with all the diversity in what you could do. Now I don't wanna spend any money here to support the govt and messed up rules/regulations.

* Recent Topics

wtb, USED CEDAR FENCE BOARDS by ghosthunter
[Today at 05:08:56 PM]

WTB First Lite North Branch Jacket by Elkaholic87
[Today at 05:07:28 PM]

New F 150 Diesels by bigmacc
[Today at 04:59:27 PM]

For Sale- HHA optimizer lite ultra by Kyle1112
[Today at 04:54:44 PM]

One awesome breakfast sausage recipe by quadrafire
[Today at 04:53:26 PM]

Shot out my 243 by Bill W
[Today at 04:51:37 PM]

FS: 2008 Polaris sportsman 500 HO by JBar
[Today at 04:49:10 PM]

Cougar Research from Alberta by kellama2001
[Today at 04:46:44 PM]

WTT Remington 721 30-06 by mtnwkr
[Today at 04:45:55 PM]

School Me on Duck/Goose Hunting by Badhabit
[Today at 04:35:09 PM]

WTS Marlin lever 30 30 $450 by mudflat mike
[Today at 04:33:55 PM]

Ok, now what? by Dan-o
[Today at 04:31:42 PM]

Flex Seal, anyone use it? by follow maggie
[Today at 04:27:54 PM]

Backcountry with kiddos by Moe the Sleaze
[Today at 04:27:42 PM]

Pig Feeder... Ideas? by JimmyHoffa
[Today at 04:22:02 PM]

Custom cut lumber by KFhunter
[Today at 04:13:06 PM]

Keegan Wilder fundraiser auction #18 Black River Taxidermy shoulder mount!!! by boneaddict
[Today at 03:33:36 PM]

The tape measure doesn't lie by boneaddict
[Today at 03:32:29 PM]

wtb rem 700 stock by brokemillwright
[Today at 03:31:25 PM]

Madness 10 Scoring page.......NOW to 31 march by Machias
[Today at 03:24:06 PM]