collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Chewuch  (Read 7056 times)

Offline Gamblin Guy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
Chewuch
« on: July 20, 2007, 06:02:45 PM »
My son, 11, and my neighbor's son, 8 and just past his hunter safety, drew antlerless tags for Chewuch this year.  My son drew a Perrygin antlerless last year but with the Tripod fire we didn't even bother going.  Any one care to share a starting point for a couple of nice whitetail does in that area, we are camping at Perrygin next weekend so I'll be doing some driving around but am looking for a place to start.  I know they are plentyful over there but I haven't spent much time in that area and want to make sure we can get away from the private ground.

dan

Offline smdave

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
    • My Photobooth
Re: Chewuch
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 06:21:14 PM »
The whitetails will be down lower in the unit closer to the river but up in the unit lots of roads. Up there you would probably run into a nice mule deer doe. Have a bear tag with you I have seen a couple last year when I drove through before the season.

Dave
When I pass, do not let my wife sell the guns for what I told her they cost.

Offline WDFW-SUX

• Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 07:40:29 PM »
Hunt first creek. I guarantee you will see deer every single day.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 07:53:30 PM by WDFW-sux »
THE WASHINGTON DEPARTMENT OF FISH AND WILDLIFE SUCKS MORE THAN EVER..........

Offline coyotemadness

• Scout
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2007, 11:58:57 PM »
I've hunted that unit with archery for about 10 years. The whitetails have been getting thick there the last few years. No doubt you will see deer all over but not a lot of big bucks. But that works great for an antlerless tag. I've seen whitetail up high and down low. Most of them have been right along the river. You should have no problem filling those tags. Good for you for taking young ones out hunting. Good luck!!

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2007, 12:15:22 AM »
I've seen a bunch of whitetails next to the eightmile ranch or forest service compound on eightmile.  There are several fields there that they graze their mules on and I have recently seen a bunch of whities hanging out there.  I assume thats public land as its forest service.  Worth checking out.

Offline kirkl

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • USN Veteran- USS Nimitz CVN 68
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2007, 07:25:54 AM »
Id also look into first creek. Theres getting to be quit a few whities in there. Im assuming he can shoot a mulie doe to which there is alot of those to. 1st through 4th creek are all good. Plus what boneaddict said.

Offline Gamblin Guy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2007, 07:32:03 AM »
Thanks everyone,

I'm taking the maps and gps and will do some driving around over there this weekend while we camp at Perrygin.  This will be his 3rd year deer hunting, he's got 2 does already, 1 wt and 1 mulie.  He can shoot either this year so we'll see what we run into, he keeps telling me that its his job to provide meat for the family while I chase critters with my bow...   :dunno:

This will be the neighbor boys first year going so we are hoping for a little double success.

Dan

Offline woodywsu

• Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2007, 10:13:15 AM »
2nd creek is private property, but the rest is open to the public. There is a nice combination of mulies and white-tails, but the white-tails remain down in the river bottom and closer to town. good luck with the hunt.

Offline bowpredator

• Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2007, 11:24:18 AM »
My 11yr old son and a buddies 11yr old son both drew thw youth doe tags also. If its whitetails your after then I'd stay low and knock on some doors for permission I'm sure they'd give it to a youth hunting. Some other areas to check out would be Cub creek Rd, Rendevouse Rd, up on Eight mile(Eight mile ridge Rd) and Goat creek Rd.I have hunted this area for 18 years and there are alot of deer up in these areas. But with the deer there are hunters to match, but you can still find spots to hunt. BRING A BEAR TAG because there are a good number of them running around also. I'm headed over there for the opener of bear to put my son on one, so I will put up a deer report when I get back.

Rodger.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2007, 11:56:39 AM »
90% of Rendevous is private.  There are two sections of public, but bottle necked with folks.  Also not much for whitetail action.  Its some incredible muledeer country, and I wish I had been here to hunt it 40 years ago. I would spend my time elsewhere.   Just my thoughts.

Offline bowpredator

• Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2007, 12:38:16 PM »
Maybe I called Rendevous the wrong spot, I usally hunt up around Grizzly Mt. back towards Goat Creek rd. Theres a lot of good mulie country back up in there, seen some real nice bucks over the years bow hunting it.

Rodger

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10