collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 30-06 for brush hunting?  (Read 8663 times)

Offline bankwalker

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
30-06 for brush hunting?
« on: August 13, 2008, 02:41:44 PM »
what gr wieght and bullet style do you guys use for brush hunting with a 30-06? just go with w/e you have in the rifle at the time or do you use special rounds?

just curious because i will be hunting in general with 150gr bullets, not sure what bullet yet. BUT when it comes to brush hunting i can go ahead and pick up something in 180gr with a round tip.

so what are my options? or should i just stick with one round?

thanks

Offline Bean Counter

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
Re: 30-06 for brush hunting?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 02:48:09 PM »
I've been wondering this myself so I appreciate you asking the question.

My only other alternative is my 12 ga with a rifled slug, but part of my choice to use that on occasion was due to hunting a no-rifle unit. 

I've gone from spot and stalk to brush hunting in the same day so there's sometimes not much you can do. Main change I make is to slide the scope dial down to 3 or 4x instead of keeping it at 9x when I'm up on a ridgeline.  When I've come up on some big game at >50 yards, I'm glad I didn't have the scope set to 9x.  I normally use 150 gr. softpoints by Federal (powershok, I think, the blue box one) for deer, and I'm really curious if people think think that 180s or even 220s or Noslers are the 'only way to go' for elk.  Is 165 a good all around if I don't want to zero in twice? 

Online Houndhunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 02:58:12 PM »
IMO find one brand and one weight that shoots best in your gun and hunt with only that type of bullet. my dad switchs from 150 to 180 grain bullet for elk and i've been telling him not to the last few years but he wont listen, doesnt matter though he never shoots nothin anyways :chuckle:. but my point is different wieghts dont shoot the same outa your gun (atleast from exp). i dont know just my preference i guess

Offline CP

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 03:04:09 PM »
I zero in with 180s and use them for most everything.  They will take anything in North America and work well at short or long ranges.  Sometimes I’ll go with 150s but I won’t change the zero on the scope, they shoot 1½” high at 100 yards and are just a bit flatter.  My rifle groups 180s just a bit better than 150s.

Offline tlbradford

• Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 03:08:38 PM »
IMO find one brand and one weight that shoots best in your gun and hunt with only that type of bullet. my dad switchs from 150 to 180 grain bullet for elk and i've been telling him not to the last few years but he wont listen, doesnt matter though he never shoots nothin anyways :chuckle:. but my point is different wieghts dont shoot the same outa your gun (atleast from exp). i dont know just my preference i guess

+1 

Numerous studies have shown that all bullets regardless of caliber or shape will deflect when they hit any type of brush. 
Dreams are forever on the mind, realization in the hands.

Offline GoldTip

• Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2008, 03:51:38 PM »
 :yeah:  The one study I read actually showed the bullet which deflected the least was fired from a 220swift with a 55gr bullet.  This was compared to 220gr round nose from 30-06, big ole 45-70 slugs and the venerable 30-30 with 170gr Round nose bullets as well.  In my '06's that I've had, I have had a hard time finding a good 180gr bullet that didn't shoot well and kill anything it hit.
I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.
If I ageed with you, then we'd both be wrong.
You are never to old to learn something stupid.

Offline Hoyt204

• Tracker
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2008, 04:40:32 PM »
You can NEVER go wrong with a 30-06 and a 180gr bullet

Offline MountainWalk

• "Pa Nevermissashot"
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • High lead logger/ cutter
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2008, 04:47:14 PM »
For most all hunting with an 06, its hard to beat the 220 grain bullet for its penetration and momentum values. Too many people worry about velocity and a few inches. 
The way that you wander, is the way that you choose
The day that you tarry, is the day that you lose

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2008, 04:54:14 PM »
My .30/06 is picky, it only groups 150s very well.  So, I shoot everything with 150s (Federal Premium, Trophy Bonded Bearclaw bullets), pronghorn up to and including moose.  No problem yet.  However, I don't take bad shots; if I can't reach lungs through ribs, shoulder or brisket, I pass.

However, if my groups didn't open up, I'd probably go with 165 or 168, as the best compromise between trajectory and terminal energy.  I definitely agree with extensive range testing of hunting ammo until you know what your gun likes best, then sticking with that single load.  Any ballistic or terminal performance advantages switching loads are obscured by the rock-solid confidence of knowing that bullet is going where you want it.
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline CP

• Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2008, 05:17:04 PM »
I zero in with 180s and use them for most everything.  They will take anything in North America and work well at short or long ranges.  Sometimes I’ll go with 150s but I won’t change the zero on the scope, they shoot 1½” high at 100 yards and are just a bit flatter.  My rifle groups 180s just a bit better than 150s.

Make that 3" high and the group sucks, YMMV.  I'll stick with 180s.   

Offline yajsab

• Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2008, 05:24:20 PM »
I find that 180 grn for deer is over power.  Destroy too much meat.  I like 150 grn better.  And for brush or pretty much anywhere, I used Barnes X in my 308.  Get the mushroom type.

Offline bankwalker

• Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2008, 05:37:19 PM »
thanks guys. i think ill just sight in with 165gr then and get the best (if thats possible) of both worlds.  8)

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2008, 09:23:22 PM »
I find that 180 grn for deer is over power.  Destroy too much meat.  I like 150 grn better.  And for brush or pretty much anywhere, I used Barnes X in my 308.  Get the mushroom type.

Generally a heavier bullet will ruin less meat than a lighter bullet. It's the higher velocity of the lighter bullets that is hard on the meat. So if you're worried about loss of meat, go with a 180, or better yet, a 220.

Of course if you're using a Barnes bullet, it really doesn't matter what weight you use. They don't come apart no matter what the velocity or how much bone you hit, so they are a good choice as well.

Offline CP

• Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2008, 11:06:24 AM »
All 30-06 rounds are overpowered for deer; they cut through deer like butter and hardly slow down on the trip through.  I’ve seen a 30-06 bullet shot through a buck, through a doe behind the buck and then through and oak branch, could have easily taken out a third deer if it was in the right (or wrong) spot.  Both double lunged, the doe dropped on the spot but the buck ran about 100 yards before dropping. 

Heavier rounds are slowed down less than lighter rounds by deer flesh and therefore impart less energy on the target.  The most devastating 30-06 deer round I’ve ever seen is a hand load 125g hollow point flat nose.  They still cut through deer like butter but they leave a tremendous mess behind and drop deer on the spot; excellent round for short range where you don’t want to have to track an animal but they do ruin a lot of meat.  Unfortunately I’ve lost the recipe for that round.

Offline MountainWalk

• "Pa Nevermissashot"
  • Frontiersman
  • High lead logger/ cutter
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2008, 11:12:42 AM »
I always thought that anything with two holes through both lungs and or the heart would die pretty quickly.   Why do you like a load that bloods up and ruins your meat?
The way that you wander, is the way that you choose
The day that you tarry, is the day that you lose

Offline Gobble

• Frontiersman
  • Wack'em and Stack'em
    • Dave Harder
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2008, 11:29:59 AM »
I hunt deer with a 30.06 and 180 gr noslers. I shot my buck last year in its bed at 180-200 yrds right square in the throat. The thing didn't even twitch after I pulled the trigger. Severed its spine (and vertibrae) and wasted very little meat. The thing was rutted up and got plenty of neck roasts out of it.

You'd be fine with the 30.06 in 180gr.

Offline ebusa

• Hunter
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2008, 02:04:57 PM »
I use 180 grain in my .30-06 with my Remington 7600 pump.  Such a great Deer rifle!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 09:14:25 AM by ebusa »
-Evan
USMC 1994-1998 E5/SGT
Semper Fi!

Offline Bean Counter

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2008, 02:18:49 PM »
Okay, as long as we're all debating this, can you take a quick sec to vote on my poll please? Thanks  ;)

http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,10151.0.html

Offline Gutpile

• Gaseous horribulous stinkusis
  • Frontiersman
    • https://www.facebook.com/mark.farrell.142?ref=tn_tnmn
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2008, 03:06:34 PM »
The one study I read actually showed the bullet which deflected the least was fired from a 220swift with a 55gr bullet.  This was compared to 220gr round nose from 30-06, big ole 45-70 slugs and the venerable 30-30 with 170gr Round nose bullets as well.  In my '06's that I've had, I have had a hard time finding a good 180gr bullet that didn't shoot well and kill anything it hit.

The one I read had many rounds tested and I don't really remember any of them except that the 45-70 faired the worst and the 22-250 faired the best. Who knew???  :dunno:

Y.A.R. Gold Member

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2008, 07:55:15 PM »
All 30-06 rounds are overpowered for deer

Not true.

Offline Colville

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2008, 08:40:09 PM »
Somewhere along the line "brush gun" got all messed up in translation. The issue with the bush is a lack of visibility. It's that long weapons and tight eye reliefs make shooting in there tough. A good brush gun is wieldy. Usually short. It points and shoulders with real ease like a nice tight, short, over-under shotgun in the brush for quail.

What comes out the end is secondary to the qualities that make your gun's frame really useful in heavy cover, especially when you are not stand hunting. The difference from a brush standpoint from 150 to 180 grn in '06 is mostly emotional. they both have their benne's depending on the bullet construction and how fast you expect that round to still be moving at impact. Heavier rounds with a heavier construction will hold and do less damage both short and long range, but a 150 BT will carry better at 400 and after slowing down at that range still penetrates very well for it's light construction. For most rounds in "brush" situations, the factory speeds are far greater than needed. A 2200 fps 180 is every bit as leathal at 45 yards as 3100 fps. And the slower round doesn't have a grenade effect on impact. I guess that's why 45-70's etc have the rep of letting you "eat up to the hole".

I'd not ever consider one round over the next on the premise that all of a sudden I can shoot through the trees without regard. I would chose a slower bullet for up close shooting and wider one, everything else being equal... and it never is.

Offline rasbo

• Legend
  • In God I trust...Try taking that away from me!
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2008, 09:24:11 AM »
I use a 150 grain corelok pointed soft point in all my guns works fine for everything ive hunted,just put it where it belongs good luck

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2008, 11:18:51 AM »
what gr weight and bullet style do you guys use for brush hunting with a 30-06? just go with w/e you have in the rifle at the time or do you use special rounds?

just curious because i will be hunting in general with 150gr bullets, not sure what bullet yet. BUT when it comes to brush hunting i can go ahead and pick up something in 180gr with a round tip.

so what are my options? or should i just stick with one round?

thanks

Tbradford hit it on the head, many studies have determined that weight basically does nothing to improve deflection. So to answer your question, I would suggest you choose either 180 or 165 that your weapon shoots the best groups with.
Try different bullet types as well. you find that each gun shoots differently, so does each bullet type. And each gun has a sweet spot that is dependant on a bullet type. It takes a little time and a few boxes of ammo to determine which bullet your weapon prefers.
Once you find the bullet/caliber combo that your weapon prefers you are set.

Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Explorer
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2008, 11:47:16 AM »
30-30 Lever Actions are great brush guns but as stated above. Deflection is deflection.
But if you have iron sights or a 4 pwr scope on see-through rings you are set to go.

Offline bankwalker

• Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2008, 07:32:28 PM »
30-30 Lever Actions are great brush guns but as stated above. Deflection is deflection.
But if you have iron sights or a 4 pwr scope on see-through rings you are set to go.

i have a 30-30...but i dont want to drag two guns around with me again this season. im gonna be hunting some new areas and i dont know how big the risk it is to leave guns laying in the truck yet.

Offline coonhound

• Jeff ><>
  • Longhunter
  • Jeff ><>
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2008, 08:35:09 PM »
Somewhere along the line "brush gun" got all messed up in translation. The issue with the bush is a lack of visibility. It's that long weapons and tight eye reliefs make shooting in there tough. A good brush gun is wieldy. Usually short. It points and shoulders with real ease like a nice tight, short, over-under shotgun in the brush for quail.

What comes out the end is secondary to the qualities that make your gun's frame really useful in heavy cover, especially when you are not stand hunting. The difference from a brush standpoint from 150 to 180 grn in '06 is mostly emotional. they both have their benne's depending on the bullet construction and how fast you expect that round to still be moving at impact. Heavier rounds with a heavier construction will hold and do less damage both short and long range, but a 150 BT will carry better at 400 and after slowing down at that range still penetrates very well for it's light construction. For most rounds in "brush" situations, the factory speeds are far greater than needed. A 2200 fps 180 is every bit as leathal at 45 yards as 3100 fps. And the slower round doesn't have a grenade effect on impact. I guess that's why 45-70's etc have the rep of letting you "eat up to the hole".

I'd not ever consider one round over the next on the premise that all of a sudden I can shoot through the trees without regard. I would chose a slower bullet for up close shooting and wider one, everything else being equal... and it never is.

Very well put...

Coon

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal