collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: An article we can use.....  (Read 6453 times)

Offline TheNoob

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
An article we can use.....
« on: July 11, 2012, 06:17:28 PM »
A Washington state woman suffered 16 puncture wounds and over 100 lacerations after being attacked by a pack of raccoons.

Twenty-eight-year-old Michaela Lee was jogging on a trail near her Lakewood home when her dog spotted two raccoons and chased them up a tree.

"I went over to pick up the leash and head home when three other raccoons just charged out of the grass straight for me. I decided to run, but they were chasing me and clawing at the back of my legs," Lee said.

She had just gotten to her neighbor's yard when she tripped over them. As soon as she fell, the raccoons began to viciously attack, biting her arms and legs as she lay trapped under them. Seconds later, Lee's dog ran up and began biting and growling at them, scaring several of them off and giving Lee enough time to get on her feet.

"I'm so thankful that my dog is so loyal," said Lee, who believes it was the actions of her dog, Madison, that saved her from further injury.

Lee was immediately taken to the hospital where she said she was in shock. "There was so much blood everywhere you couldn't see the skin on my arms or legs."

She received a rabies vaccine and had the deep cuts in her forearm and calf stapled. Antibiotics were injected into each wound, a process she said was even more painful than the attack.

It is unclear what caused the raccoons to have such a violent reaction, but Animal Control thought it may have been a family trying to protect its young.

Though shaken up by the attack, Lee has already returned to the trail. "This is our home, we love this area. I don't want to give that up."

Although, Lee added, she and her boyfriend "did purchase some mace for me to take when I go jogging in the future."
  :IBCOOL:

Offline big wood

• Longhunter
  • hit em on the high note
  • Groups: wsta,nra,mba
Re: An article we can use.....
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 08:39:01 PM »
i HOPE SHE VOTED FOR INITIATIVE 655

Offline UrbanTrapper

• Life Member: NRA, SCI, DSC, NTA, WSTA, ITA, ATA
  • Scout
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, WWC, HHC, NTA, WSTA
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 10:30:25 AM »
Here's another one:

http://www.startribune.com/local/north/162482036.html

Anoka triathlete suffers 25 bites in otter attack in Island Lake near Duluth

Article by: KELLY SMITH , Star Tribune
    Updated: July 16, 2012 - 10:49 AM

An Anoka woman faced a bizarre situation when she went swimming in a Duluth lake this week and an otter attacked.
hide

Leah Prudhomme's legs after she was attacked and bitten by an otter while training in Island Lake near Duluth.

Photo: Leah Prudhomme,

CameraStar Tribune photo galleries

Fangs pierced Leah Prudhomme's legs as she swam across the deep, dark rum-colored northern Minnesota lake. It could be anything, she thought -- muskrats, beavers, maybe a muskie. But it didn't let up.

In the middle of Island Lake near Duluth, the triathlete struggled as the animal sunk its needle-sharp teeth into her legs, feet and back, leaving 25 bite marks, some 2 inches deep.

"It just kept coming after me," said Prudhomme, 33, of Anoka. "You never knew where it was going to bite next."

In between peppering her with puncture marks, the animal's head popped up a few feet away. That's when Prudhomme noticed its distinctive long tapered tail, small beady eyes and gray head. An otter.

"I couldn't believe Duluth had an otter," she said Saturday before getting more rabies shots, her swollen ankles and bite marks still healing three days after the incident.

The rare lake attack baffled conservation experts and doctors, who could only surmise that the atypically aggressive otter had rabies or was a mother protecting young pups.

"I've never seen or heard of it before," said Mike Scott, a conservation officer with the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources in Duluth. "We've got otters everywhere ... lakes, streams. Most times, [swimmers] wouldn't even know it. Otters usually stay away."

As a Duluth native growing up on Pike Lake, Prudhomme was familiar with the trails, water and wildlife, and had swam Island Lake several times. Last Wednesday, she was visiting her father on the lake and left with a friend for an eight-mile road run and half-mile swim in preparation for her second Ironman Triathlon. Despite the sunny, 90-degree day, they donned wet suits and goggles over swimsuits before diving into the dark lake.

"You always wonder, 'oh my gosh what could happen out there,'" she said. "Already, you're trying to get over your fear of fish or whatnot. You can't even see your hands below."

They swam around an island and veered back to shore. As they passed a bog, Prudhomme felt a nip at her ankle. She stopped, frantically treading water. Up popped the otter's head before it dove back underwater and attacked "ferociously."

Her friend helped her father get his boat, driving it out to Prudhomme to pull the shaking woman to shore. At St. Luke's Hospital in Duluth, doctors cleaned the 25 bite marks and gave her rabies and tetanus shots. Once home in the Twin Cities, Prudhomme received more rabies shots Saturday.

She said she's thankful she wore the wet suit, which was shredded during the attack, but which likely saved her from more extensive injuries.

Prudhomme, who's done about 50 triathlon and road races, said she now needs to do what she's done after bike crashes or other mishaps: get back up.

Next month, she plans to do the Duluth Triathlon -- on the same lake.

"I'm scared, but it's one of those things you don't want to let get the best of you," she said. "It's not like I'll be bitten by another otter."

Kelly Smith • 612-673-4141; Twitter: @kellystrib

Offline buckybuster

• Pilgrim
  • Groups: wsta
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 07:18:10 PM »
   I hope she voted for 713 maybe that will get some to pull there head out of the ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,sand?

Offline pnwmtnmn

• Scout
  • Why do I have one wet foot?
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 05:31:50 PM »
Well since this happened there have been attacks by Beaver
Region 2 WSTA director
Grant county WSTA rep

Offline pnwmtnmn

• Scout
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 05:34:34 PM »
First it was a crazed otter now a beaver..

A crazed beaver attacked two girls as they swam in a lake at a popular beauty spot leaving them with serious injuries.
Eight-year-old Annabella Radnovich and her 11-year-old sister, Alyssa, were playing with their cousins at Lake Anna in Virginia's Spotsylvania County when the 65 pound animal bit and scratched their legs.
The sisters were rushed to Spotsylvania Regional Medical Center after the attack just before noon on Sunday.

Mother Wendy Radnovich said the animal bit Alyssa first before moving onto her sister.

She told q13FOX.com: 'She had felt something touch her leg and she thought it was one of her cousins messing with her.
Victim: Eight-year-old Annabella Radnovich suffered serious wounds to her leg
'And she stopped and looked and pushed it off of her and started running out of the water.'
Annabella also thought it was someone in her family fooling around until she felt the animal's claws digging into her legs.
Describing the terrifying experience she said: 'It started swimming around me, and then I tried to get out again and it bit my leg.'
Annabella told how as soon as everyone realised what was going on they all rushed out of the water.

The girls' grandmother treated their wounds at the scene until an ambulance arrived.
Doctors were yesterday contemplating operating on Annabella who had suffered the more serious injuries. Alyssa required stitches.

She added: 'The pain was the most pain I've ever been through.
'When I was in the ambulance truck, they said they've heard of a skunk bite, but not a beaver. Ever.'

Her mother added: 'Because it went through the muscle tissue, they didn't want to do surgery.
'The main concern is the infection and they're testing the beaver for rabies now.'

Wendy, who said she would no longer be bringing her children to the lake to swim, told how the girls' uncle returned to the scene and shot the beaver.

According to Marine Biologists, beaver attacks on humans are extremely rare and when they do happen, it is usually because the animal is rabid.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...l#ixzz20uLfJPck

Beaver has been confirmed as Rabid!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 03:23:07 PM by pnwmtnmn »
Region 2 WSTA director
Grant county WSTA rep

Offline pnwmtnmn

• Scout
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 12:47:06 AM »
By Teresa Carson

updated 7/18/2012 7:48:25 PM ET
Print
 Font:

PORTLAND, Oregon — An Oregon man who contracted a rare case of bubonic plague, a disease that ravaged Europe during the Middle Ages, is expected to lose his fingers and some toes, but should be well enough to leave the hospital within weeks, his family said on Wednesday.

Don't miss these Health stories

Getty Images Fear of crossing that bridge when they come to it
For those with gephyrophobia, driving over a bridge -- or for some, the mere thought or anticipation of it -- brings on a panic attack. Their hearts race and palms sweat, and they may also have trouble breathing and feel light-headed.
 Missed cantaloupe listeria strain tied to death
FDA approves weight-loss drug Qsymia
Dog owners sue over jerky treat deaths
No, lack of sleep likely won't make you insane
Paul Gaylord, 59, spent almost a month in intensive care, most of it on life support after he was infected while trying to take a rodent from the mouth of his cat on June 2. The choking cat bit his hand and scratched him.

Doctors at a clinic near his home in Prineville, Oregon, about 150 miles southeast of Portland, first prescribed an antibiotic for cat scratch fever, according to his niece, Andrea Gibb.

Several days later, his condition worsening, Gaylord returned to the clinic and was rushed to a local hospital. He was then transferred to a larger hospital in nearby Bend, Oregon.

"The doctors said he wasn't going to make it," Gibb said, adding that her uncle is expected to lose all of his fingers, which have turned a black, and most of his toes. "He has had ups and downs, but he is very strong."

Gaylord, a welder, begins physical therapy Wednesday.

The plague, often spread by flea bites or through contact with a sickened animal, is believed to have killed around 25 million Europeans during the Middle Ages, when it was known as the Black Death.

Today, it is treated with antibiotics and only an average of seven cases a year are reported in the United States, according to the Centers for Disease Control. The cases are virtually all in the western states.

Oregon has had three cases since 1995 and none of the victims have died, according to the Crook County Health Department.

(c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2012. Check for restrictions at: http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp

Something We as trappers deal with daily. This and worse are outthere.
Region 2 WSTA director
Grant county WSTA rep

Offline pnwmtnmn

• Scout
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2012, 09:33:14 PM »
http://www.kptv.com/story/18859237/wildlife-officials-look-into-report-of-coyote-biting-5-year-old

NEHALEM (Bay), OR (KPTV) -
A 5-year-old girl's encounter with a coyote at Nehalem Bay State Park now has park officials posting warning signs around the campground.

The girl's family had just finished watching the sunset on the beach at the park Thursday night. They began walking back along the trail that leads to the campground when an animal they believe was a coyote confronted them.

During the encounter with the coyote, the girl suffered injuries when she was attacked, but state park representatives wouldn't go so far as to say she was bit by the animal.

The girl's parents took her to Providence Seaside Hospital, where she was treated and released.

Park workers are posting signs around the campground where the incident happened and they're alerting people about the potential for future encounters.

They're also working with wildlife authorities to determine if it's necessary to trap and remove coyotes from the area.

State parks spokesperson Chris Havel said it's the first recorded coyote attack in Oregon State Park's history.

(They fail to mention that it's not the first coyote attack in Oregon, just one on State Park land.)

This one is from june.

Region 2 WSTA director
Grant county WSTA rep

Offline pnwmtnmn

• Scout
Region 2 WSTA director
Grant county WSTA rep

Offline pnwmtnmn