collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Cle Elum Owens meats  (Read 65292 times)

Offline dblungshot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Re: Cle Elum Owens meats
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2012, 08:06:19 PM »
Ok, seriously do you know for sure what you drop off is yours when you pick it up ? I have had prime meat done in sausage, jerky, pep etc and dropped of a 7 yr old sage muley. The final product is the same. Was it my meat? Trust me, if you drop off a moose do you think those guys dont take a prime steak for them or their family? I dont know but?? I use a local brewery/sausage making company that is very particular what they take in. It must be in good shape, bone free, and vacume packed. I bone out my meat and vacume seal it in 30lb bags. Then in the OFF SEASON take my meat in to be done how I want it. A full-time butcher shop can get crazy certain times of the year. Especially during hunting season. Their mistakes are not on purpose but they happen. In todays world with cabelas offering so much in processing gear why wouldnt you do it your self. We do so much research when we hunt but then we don't care about the final product of processing our game? When in doubt do some of it yourself. As for getting a cooler during archery, I agree you have to find a meat locker to hang. Most good hunting spots are somewhat close to farmers and they all have a cooler. A 50 or C note would probably take care of it. Just my two cents or  :twocents:

Great advice and opinion!  I've always wanted to have my own processing place but I live on the westside and hunt the eastside for elk (archery).  I process my deer because they are small enough for me to handle & haul home with a short amount of time (possible in the late season).  Elk however are a different story...and it scares the crap out of me to head home because of the heat. 

In most cases my meat is extremely clean, cooled quick, taken down to cooler within a day, kept dry, and butterflied to keep air flowing...it's rare for me to get a "cleaning fee".  It always amazes me how nasty some hanging carcasses are when they come in.  I know some guys circumstances can be extreme and keeping game perfect can be practicly impossible at times. 

It would be a shame if Owens mixed meat and didn't give 100% back for what people are paying.  I know of 4 elk processed there last year & lots more in the past.

Offline 206

• Cray206
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2012, 08:23:45 AM »
206, I may have a cooler you could use ( Ellensburg area) if it's not full of critters! A bottle of Pendleton is usually what we ask!

I'll bring the BIG bottle since that's one of my favorites and then you can share.  I'll keep you in mind as the time gets closer.

Offline Happy Gilmore

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2012, 01:19:38 PM »
I called Owens today and asked if they will hang wildgame for a cooling fee (not for owens to process) or per day fee and they said "they only hang what they process".  I'd like to know if anyone around there will hang/cool wildgame for a fee if someone finds out.

Call Robbers Roost in Ellensburg. Ask how to get ahold of Steve. He processes wild game during the season in their shop and is hands down the best anywhere around. Doesn't mix meat and is the nicest most honest guy you'll ever meet. You can also find him at Super 1 meat dept as full time job.

He is the only person I will ever trust with my game again beside when I do it myself. His pepperoni is the best in Kittitas Co. Have him do a batch of duck for you sometime too. If you aren't convinced he's the best I'd pay your butcher fee myself.
:yeah: Hey Happy! My brother Steve bought Robbers Roost a few months ago, not sure if he is taking in wild game this year other than family and friends[which keeps him busy  :chuckle:]. 206, I may have a cooler you could use ( Ellensburg area) if it's not full of critters! A bottle of Pendleton is usually what we ask!

That is Awesome news! Tell him a big Congrats!! I'm going to have to get over and buy some goodies real soon!
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt 1899

Offline Don Owens

• Pilgrim
« Reply #48 on: October 30, 2012, 10:35:04 AM »
Good morning Teanaway Slayer. I couldn't help but notice a post you've made on the Washington hunting forum. It would be great if you could stop by, we would love the opportunity for you to meet us and become familiar with our way of doing business. We are in the middle of the game season and it would be the perfect time for you to see the operation in the busiest time, so that you can form and educated opinion of how we do business. We just figure that when you see how we actually perform our job and see the pride and our procedure's you might be more apt to post a positive post rather than the negative posts that seem to be based on others opinions or here say. Thanks for the time, Don and Doug 509-674-2530  P.S. We have spent our whole life in this business and it is our "life" and we pride our selves in the hones loyal way we do business. It is so easy for business's to get a bad reputation with all the social media outlets of today. Please allow yourself to be an informed member of "Hunting Washington forum". When you come in we will be happy to give you many many numbers to random customers that will be able to give you unbiased opinions of our work.  Thanks again

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #49 on: October 30, 2012, 10:39:21 AM »
Stopped in at the store a few weeks ago as I usually do when passing through Cle Elum.  Those marinated chicken thighs were damn hard to beat, and the landjaeger lasted a couple days as usual.  Keep up the good work. :tup:

Offline dscubame

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • 2013 Idaho Elk Hunt
« Reply #50 on: October 30, 2012, 10:49:57 AM »
Darn nice post Don.   :tup:  Running a small business is difficult and your attitude is excellent.
It's a TIKKA thing..., you may not understand.

Eyes in the Woods.   ' '

Offline 6x6in6

• Frontiersman
« Reply #51 on: October 30, 2012, 11:04:04 AM »
Yes, great post and offer Don.
You need to keep the store open later.  So many times I come thru town to and fro and it's beyond closing hours.  I need my fix of pep and land but I have I to go home empty handed because I choose not to visit brand x down the street.   :chuckle:
Keep up the good work!   :tup:

Offline Don Owens

• Pilgrim
« Reply #52 on: October 30, 2012, 11:26:04 AM »
Thanks to all three of you for your posts!  Regarding "extended hours"! We have changed the store hours. The retail store hours are now Mon.-Sat. 8:00 am to 6:00 pm and Sunday 9:00 am to 4:00 pm. The game processing hours are 8-5 Monday through Saturday. No game pick up on Sunday but we will take game animals in on Sunday with prior arrangements, just call the store @ 509-674-2530.  Thank you again for your patronage, Don Owens

Offline dupedc

• Hardcore Hunting
  • Hunter
  • It’s good to be in elk woods!
    • Gig Harbor Chiropractor
« Reply #53 on: October 30, 2012, 02:00:00 PM »
I dropped off my elk on Sunday afternoon. The guys at the processing plant were super friendly and helpful. This is my first time using Owens to process one of my animals, but they come highly recommended by a good friend of mine. If my elk tastes half as good as the jerky does every time I get it then I will be happy (and so will the girls at home :-)  Thanks for the great service!

Offline groundhog

• Longhunter
« Reply #54 on: October 30, 2012, 03:06:43 PM »
That reminds me I have a couple of deer to pick up..... I'll be up to see you guys! Owens Meats has butchered Beef,Pigs,Deer and Elk for me and my family and they have always done a great job!

Offline Michelle_Nelson

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Old Salt
  • Bring on the Bears!
« Reply #55 on: October 30, 2012, 03:21:06 PM »

Meat Processor's charging $20-$25 a day to hang an animal that they are not doing the processing on seams fair to me.  I do not consider it a rip off at all.

Meat Processors are there to make $$ and provide a specific service to there customers.  They have utilities and employees to pay.  They are there to process meat.  Lets say they have a cooler that will fit 20 Elk or 40 Deer, they charge .50 per pound to process, and that a Deer Hanging is 150lbs and an Elk is 350lbs.

They are making $75 per Deer and $175 per Elk.  So if they butcher all 20 Elk thats only $3500.  If they do all the deer it's only $3000.  That is if they are not doing any sausage or anything special.

If they were to hang a deer for 7 days that they are not doing the processing on it is taking up a spot in there cooler.  If they were charging $5 a day that is only $35.  When they could possibly have had 2 deer in that spot over the course of that 7 days and make $150.

Offline scottcrb

• NRA, RMEF, Wa marketing director Montucky Cold Snack, MDF, BHA,
  • Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
    • Montucky Cold Snacks
  • Groups: nra, RMEF,MDF
« Reply #56 on: October 30, 2012, 04:41:40 PM »
good info to know. a friend just had some meat (elk) processed at Fisher meats in Issaquah , ill let ya know how it turns out.

Offline teanawayslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #57 on: October 30, 2012, 04:43:27 PM »
Good morning Teanaway Slayer. I couldn't help but notice a post you've made on the Washington hunting forum. It would be great if you could stop by, we would love the opportunity for you to meet us and become familiar with our way of doing business. We are in the middle of the game season and it would be the perfect time for you to see the operation in the busiest time, so that you can form and educated opinion of how we do business. We just figure that when you see how we actually perform our job and see the pride and our procedure's you might be more apt to post a positive post rather than the negative posts that seem to be based on others opinions or here say. Thanks for the time, Don and Doug 509-674-2530  P.S. We have spent our whole life in this business and it is our "life" and we pride our selves in the hones loyal way we do business. It is so easy for business's to get a bad reputation with all the social media outlets of today. Please allow yourself to be an informed member of "Hunting Washington forum". When you come in we will be happy to give you many many numbers to random customers that will be able to give you unbiased opinions of our work.  Thanks again
I am not interested in coming and seeing your operation.  Thanks for the offer, That was mighty white of you.  Owens had my business at one point in time.  What I have said regarding your place of business is my opinion. Thats what these forums are for.  Things may have changed down there over the past 10 years or so but I am not willing to bring my animals to your place ever again.  Owens had that chance and they blew it.  So if any one asks I send them else where. I work hard for my animals and like to get them back.!  I can understand your point of view of not wanting any bad blood.  So I will leave it at that.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 05:14:26 PM by teanawayslayer »
Happiness is being in the woods!!!

Offline Kc_Kracker

• Sauceman
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #58 on: October 30, 2012, 04:59:45 PM »

I took a deer and elk I got there. When i went to pick it up I ended up with some beef instead of my elk. They said they didnt know where mine went. I got my deer meat.  I will never use them again!

OMFG id have sued their asses for the total reimbursement for that many lbs of elk  :nono: :nono: thanks for the heads up ill never use them for sure. someone said they are members here, they should crawl in a hole and hide with all these negative comments

Offline robescc

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #59 on: October 30, 2012, 06:18:23 PM »

I understand that you need to defend yourself and I respect you for the offer you made. The point you made about social media spreading a bad review and hurting your name is week at best. I grew up 2 miles from Del Fox and they have had a bad reputation for 40 years. It has even gotten worse in the last 10 years. My "opinion" is not from here say either. It is from personal experience and my brother worked there for a short time. Most meat shops are like that. Go to John Tuss next time and you won't regret it.
I hunt therefore I am.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand