collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Cle Elum Owens meats  (Read 65304 times)

Offline teanawayslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Cle Elum Owens meats
« Reply #90 on: October 31, 2012, 05:11:50 PM »
I have known Doug and Don for many years they have always been straight forward with people. My uncle ran a small wild game butcher shop in Cle Elum for many years that I helped at, most of you would be surprised at the condition of the animal that some hunter bring to the shop and expect the butcher to fix. One I remember brought in a cow elk that had been shot through all 4 quarters , we spent a lot of time cutting that elk because of all the blood shot and we the hunter came to pick it up he was very upset because there was only about 150# of wrapped meat. He swore we had stole half of his elk and he told everyone that would listen the same story but he neglected to tell everyone he had shot it 4 or 5 times. If you talk to any butcher that cuts a large amount of wild game the last thing they want to do is eat it let alone steal it. The point is hunters are known to tell tall tales or embellish a fair bit so do your self a favor and take them up on there offer to stop in and see for your self how they do things.

Randy Bailey
butchers do have to deal with a lot of animals that have not been taken care of.  But When your getting someone else's untaken care of meat that isn't right either.  I take care of my animal and it isn't right when most of the animal is awesome tasting and then you get two or three packages that I wouldn't feed my dog.  I will tell you right now that it didn't come from my animal.  When you have the quantity of animals that owens takes in, You are going to have to many mistakes.
Happiness is being in the woods!!!

Offline chad s.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
« Reply #91 on: October 31, 2012, 06:38:00 PM »
My father, and I have taken more than 30 deer to Owens over the years. They've always done us right, are fairly priced, prompt, and take good care of our animals. I've been there when people have brought in deer that weren't even skinned out! You hear a few of these stories every year. Yet, they always seem to do their best with the hand they're dealt!  While I was over there a few weeks ago, I was happy to see they're open on Sundays now, so I stopped in for some of that awesome pepperoni.

Offline nw_bowhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #92 on: October 31, 2012, 06:42:28 PM »
my issue with Ownes meat is their butcher area is not clean and they allow the animals to hang way to long. I had them do my first elk and never went back. The overall quality of the meat in their case, and speciality items are okay but nothing great.

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #93 on: October 31, 2012, 06:56:40 PM »
I removed my post because I can't handle being criticized  for speaking my mind. Yes, I did live over on the westside, but I lived on the eastside of all counties. Can't stand the abuse of the mentality of rain worshippers. I'm going into therapy on Monday........
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
« Reply #94 on: October 31, 2012, 07:08:41 PM »
I removed my post because I can't handle being criticized  for speaking my mind. Yes, I did live over on the westside, but I lived on the eastside of all counties. Can't stand the abuse of the mentality of rain worshippers. I'm going into therapy on Monday........

If you can't handle criticism maybe you shouldn't criticize others...   ;):chuckle: :chuckle:
Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline scout/sniper

• Region 5 President
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
  • 'Hunter of Gunmen'
« Reply #95 on: November 01, 2012, 06:47:15 AM »
:tup:   I hope it goes well in therapy, I have had great interactions with you here.
                                                         !BEST OF LUCK!
Any views or opinions presented in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of WFW.

"I have two lines you should never cross...Horizontal and Vertical"

Offline 300rum

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #96 on: November 01, 2012, 07:23:56 AM »
Another thing I don't get when we have these "butcher" threads are the inevitable posts of "you wouldn't believe what the butcher gets into his shop" bloodshot meat, hide on, drug for 10 miles, etc.  Why wouldn't a (good) butcher just refuse the carcass? 

I butcher my own wild game, but why do I want my beef and hog hanging next to your pine needle and hair encrusted animal?  It really doesn't matter what shows up at the butcher, if it is in poor condition (or anything other than a clean well taken cared for carcass) I would expect it to be refused and brought back in acceptable condition.  When they take in an animal they are putting their name on every package of meat that leaves the shop, if they aren't willing to draw a line on what is and isn't acceptable I wouldn't want my wild or farm raised carcass in there.     

Offline scout/sniper

• Region 5 President
  • Sourdough
  • 'Hunter of Gunmen'
« Reply #97 on: November 01, 2012, 09:42:36 AM »
Another thing I don't get when we have these "butcher" threads are the inevitable posts of "you wouldn't believe what the butcher gets into his shop" bloodshot meat, hide on, drug for 10 miles, etc.  Why wouldn't a (good) butcher just refuse the carcass? 

I butcher my own wild game, but why do I want my beef and hog hanging next to your pine needle and hair encrusted animal?  It really doesn't matter what shows up at the butcher, if it is in poor condition (or anything other than a clean well taken cared for carcass) I would expect it to be refused and brought back in acceptable condition.  When they take in an animal they are putting their name on every package of meat that leaves the shop, if they aren't willing to draw a line on what is and isn't acceptable I wouldn't want my wild or farm raised carcass in there.   
This is one reason I process my own. I don't want to even chance my well taken care of game to be mixed with pine needle and hair encrusted animals. Chances are good that you won't ever see your original animal.
We have had 2 butcher shops shut down in our community for this kind of crap, hunters won't tolerate it and we become very vocal about it. Once word starts to spread, people stop buying from them.
Any views or opinions presented in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of WFW.

Offline 300rum

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #98 on: November 01, 2012, 10:05:16 AM »
I would like to butcher my beef and hog.  It sure would save a lot of money.  I guess I am just too intimidated and afraid that I wouldn't get it right.  The different cuts of steak would be the ones that bugger me up.  I am sure that I would "waste" (grind into burger) way too much good stuff. 

Offline bear hunter

• BEAR HUNTER
  • WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Union SheetMetal Worker 66- welder fab/WCO TRAPPER
    • Danny A Alvarez
  • Groups: WCW, RMEF, DU, BassMasters, WSTA, and Union Sportsmen's Alliaance
« Reply #99 on: November 01, 2012, 12:32:24 PM »
 I normally butcher my Owen but the weather changed. I just dropped off my elk off at Owen's. I hope the talk is just talk,but even hunter around camp said good luck with Owen's meats. That scared me a little bit. I don't like it when butcher's mix other hunters crap meat in with my sausage or burger.   I always give people a chance, but if they F up my animal I will never use them again. About 15 years ago I liked to use this one butcher. The brothers were master at it for over 50+ years then sold it. I tried the new owners and they F'up my bear.  They didn't even trim off the fat off the steaks and ground it with the hamburger. It tasted nasty. I trimmed the steaks my self and the meat was good after that but the burger was a loss. They didn't last and went under. Well!! I hope Owen's meats does a good job on my meat or they will loss a good customer for life. 
Boar looking for Sow to hunt with. LOL

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #100 on: November 01, 2012, 05:21:51 PM »
I don't take anything personally you guys. Everybody has a right to say whatever they want. I, for one, do speak my mind and rub people the wrong way, that's my new job since I'm retired and nobody will hire an outspoken, could careless redneck.  :tup: :tup: :tup: I'm not politically correct either... :tup:
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
« Reply #101 on: November 01, 2012, 09:24:03 PM »
 :chuckle: :chuckle:  :chuckle: :tup:
Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline scout/sniper

• Region 5 President
  • Sourdough
  • 'Hunter of Gunmen'
« Reply #102 on: November 02, 2012, 06:27:28 AM »
I don't take anything personally you guys. Everybody has a right to say whatever they want. I, for one, do speak my mind and rub people the wrong way, that's my new job since I'm retired and nobody will hire an outspoken, could careless redneck.  :tup: :tup: :tup: I'm not politically correct either... :tup:
Don't ever change.  :hello:

Offline JLS

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Support the LWCF!
« Reply #103 on: November 02, 2012, 07:06:09 AM »
I would like to butcher my beef and hog.  It sure would save a lot of money.  I guess I am just too intimidated and afraid that I wouldn't get it right.  The different cuts of steak would be the ones that bugger me up.  I am sure that I would "waste" (grind into burger) way too much good stuff.

If you're cutting it up yourself, and you screw it up, then you can fire yourself and give yourself a full refund.

Don't overthink meat cutting.  Get a sharp knife and go for it. :tup:
Matthew 7:13-14

Offline scout/sniper

• Region 5 President
  • Sourdough
  • 'Hunter of Gunmen'
« Reply #104 on: November 02, 2012, 07:42:50 AM »

If you're cutting it up yourself, and you screw it up, then you can fire yourself and give yourself a full refund.

Don't overthink meat cutting.  Get a sharp knife and go for it. :tup:
:yeah:     Amen, it all tastes good in stew and roasts if you mess it up. Just start cutting.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Taco280AI
[Today at 03:45:23 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw