collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: First elk pack-in hunt: Plan/Advice  (Read 12632 times)

Offline RadSav

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
Re: First elk pack-in hunt: Plan/Advice
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2012, 08:06:24 PM »
Catalina Island to hunt pigs and goats with Doug Walker.

hey rad,
is that like....THE Doug Walker.  like bowhunter magazine publisher Doug Walker?

Yeah, Doug and I became very good friends in 1984.  We hunted together quite a few times.  And, I would stay at the ranch whenever I was in S. CA.  He was a great man and cherished friend.  All the wild game we served at my wedding came from a hunt he gave me as a wedding gift. I sure miss being able to just pick up the phone and give him a call.
He asked, Do you ever give a short simple answer?  I replied, "Nope."

Offline windygorge

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2012, 08:08:36 PM »
yea, you were in good company.  which probably makes you good company.  love hearing stuff like that. :tup:
"God gave you the gift of life, you owe it to God to give your best performance"

"Don't tell me the sky is the limit, when there are footprints on the moon"

Offline RadSav

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2012, 08:14:43 PM »
yea, you were in good company.  which probably makes you good company.  love hearing stuff like that. :tup:

I made most of his custom arrows through the 80's and early 90's.  Sort of a fun fact and one I am proud of.  You can still get his books through National Bowhunter Magazine.  If you like archery history and reading books they are a fun read.
He asked, Do you ever give a short simple answer?  I replied, "Nope."

Offline BLUEBULLS

• Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2012, 07:25:24 AM »
I think it's funny that you ask for advice....

You've planned every second of your hunt down to which blades will be on the killing broadhead. Just go shoot one on the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 8th-13th, 15th or 16th and call me, I'll be there in 3 hours.

also, I saw no mention of Pendleton :dunno: are you on a diet?

Offline ORBowHunter

• Tracker
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2012, 10:11:34 AM »
Pretty good plan for your first time, like the others said, definitely bone out your quarters.  Take your time coming out with meat/antlers, make sure you take the time to eat, and drink while you are breaking down the animal.  You start packing/biking after a few hours of that hard work, and it will catch up to you fast.  An important thing others did not mention, is to bring a cooler to keep in your truck, packed with ice.  Even old milk jugs 3/4 filled with water and frozen will last several days.  Boned out meat in bags will fit well in the cooler, and will stay cool while you go back in for the next load.  Keep a few quarts of gatorade in the truck as well, with some food to drink/snack on after dropping off a load before you go back in. 
Good luck, have fun, be cautious, slow and safe, and post pics when you are all done!
"I am a hunter. The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. I do not hunt in order to kill, but kill to have hunted. I hunt because I am a hunter".- Finn Aagard

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2012, 10:17:24 AM »
Lot's of great info here, don't forget the therma cell if there are bugs. I wouldn't have got out of my tent if I didn't have my therma cell last year when I back packed in by myself in Sept. Good luck!
“In common with”..... not so much!!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal